Last Poster #7

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are you sure about that? That would make sparring a crime. In every place I've checked, mutual combat is not a crime. Google returns a ton of California legal sites that all say mutual combat is legal. So I'm pretty confident that if I walk up to you and ask you to fight, I'm ok. If you say yes, I'm ok. If you say no, and I say OK and walk away, I'm ok.
Of course, none of this really applies. There was no challenge, no mutual combat. There was simply a criminal assault.
Mutual combat is illegal in Cali.

The statutes cover public areas. Sparring in a private venue doesn't apply.

If you fight in public, you can plead your case that it was mutually agreed upon to avoid battery charges, but that depends on some key things like whether the other guy is more bleeding/maimed/deceased.

I think they call it "prosecutorial discretion".

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mutual combat is illegal in Cali.

These folks, including the good folks at the Cornell Law school, seem to disagree. These, and others I looked at, all seem to boil down to 'mutual combat is legal, but if someone loses or in any way wants to stop, you have to stop.'
A challenges B. B agrees. They smack each other around. One yields. Fight ends. No crime.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
1648689866857.png

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score

These folks, including the good folks at the Cornell Law school, seem to disagree. These, and others I looked at, all seem to boil down to 'mutual combat is legal, but if someone loses or in any way wants to stop, you have to stop.'
A challenges B. B agrees. They smack each other around. One yields. Fight ends. No crime.
Those for self defense claims. Fighting in public or challenging others to fight is grounds for multiple criminal charges including battery and disturbing the peace.

If you cry out "let's stop" that can be self defense. But seriously, who cares that two people agreed to fight in public? Throw them both in the tank, man.

You are free to test this out by starting a play fight in a public square in LA. You might get shot, though.

Sparring in private is totally different. There's no law anywhere against that anywhere. Even in Russia.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Just went through an old thread from 2007 "What makes a Martial Art?????" Saw it by accident, a lot of posters there that are no longer here. Also it was the beginning of the "Four Heroic Cynical Curmudgeons"...only 2 of us left on the page these days

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Just went through an old thread from 2007 "What makes a Martial Art?????" Saw it by accident, a lot of posters there that are no longer here. Also it was the beginning of the "Four Heroic Cynical Curmudgeons"...only 2 of us left on the page these days
It was a good read.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are you sure about that? That would make sparring a crime. In every place I've checked, mutual combat is not a crime. Google returns a ton of California legal sites that all say mutual combat is legal. So I'm pretty confident that if I walk up to you and ask you to fight, I'm ok. If you say yes, I'm ok. If you say no, and I say OK and walk away, I'm ok.
Of course, none of this really applies. There was no challenge, no mutual combat. There was simply a criminal assault.
This is what I remember from two of my juvenile court appearances in the 80s. Mutual combat only goes until one participant retreats, or begs off, or is unable to continue. If the other continues beyond that, they are guilty of assault. I didn’t like that law then, and I don’t like it now, because the second you get the upper hand on some punk that started it they can just call off.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
This is what I remember from two of my juvenile court appearances in the 80s. Mutual combat only goes until one participant retreats, or begs off, or is unable to continue. If the other continues beyond that, they are guilty of assault. I didn’t like that law then, and I don’t like it now, because the second you get the upper hand on some punk that started it they can just call off.

Wait, what...you were a juvenile delinquent...and they let you on MT!!!!!!!! Says the guy who simply never got caught....as a juvenile...at least I waited until I was an adult

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I’ll just add that it’s great that we have reclaimed it from the skinheads. 20 years ago, no one really shaved their heads but now it’s pretty common and no big deal.

I think it would be awesome if we could get there for women too.
As an aside, the first Skinheads were Jamaican blacks in the pre reggae 60s era. That then became popular amongst the working class youth of Britain after many Jamaicans relocated to UK. I grew up around a lot of them in the punk scene of the early 80s. They were known for a propensity for violence, but not racism. Somehow the look was co opted by white racists around the mid to late 80s and the name Skinhead is now synonymous with white racism. Reggae and punk rock were inextricably linked as counter cultures at that time. Bad Brains is the best example of synergy between the two from late 70s to mid eighties. It’s a cultural oddity.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are only two United States that legally protect "mutual" combat: Washington State, and Texas. Every other state, I will sum up with this warning/joke.

A Tai Chi master, a Muay Thai champion, and a Jiujutsu medal winner roll into a bar in San Diego. A bar fight breaks out.

The three masters square up (using at least 8 directional centerline theories) and agree to fight. Chaos ensues, 911 shows up. Everyone in the bar gets put in cuffs.

As people get carted off to jail, everyone is spouting excuses. The three masters look at each other, turn to the arresting officers, and cry "But, it was mutual combat!".

Officer takes a look at the three of them, cites California Penal Code 415, and takes all three to jail, for disturbing the peace.

Now that, my dudes, is what a plausible theory looks like.
dredd-karl-urban.gif

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
As an aside, the first Skinheads were Jamaican blacks in the pre reggae 60s era. That then became popular amongst the working class youth of Britain after many Jamaicans relocated to UK. I grew up around a lot of them in the punk scene of the early 80s. They were known for a propensity for violence, but not racism. Somehow the look was co opted by white racists around the mid to late 80s and the name Skinhead is now synonymous with white racism. Reggae and punk rock were inextricably linked as counter cultures at that time. Bad Brains is the best example of synergy between the two from late 70s to mid eighties. It’s a cultural oddity.
Sounds about right. The skinheads around in the mid to late 80s in Seattle were racist and violent.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sounds about right. The skinheads around in the mid to late 80s in Seattle were racist and violent.

There was a news story, in my area, around that time about 3 guys hiking through a small town in Washington state. they had shaved heads and the towns people surrounded them calling them skinheads, threatening them and telling them to leave. They repeatedly said they were not skinheads, they were on a walking tour and they were just passing through. Someone attacked them and several joined in, they quickly found out they were not skinheads, they were US Special forces guys. At that time I was unaware of the skinhead problems in Washington and could not figure out why they harassed these guys. Now I know why

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Tried a little cottage cheese today, not even a teaspoons worth.... that was a mistake.

But there is some good news, got the tests back from the MD and all came back negative so I am hoping this is just some sort of rather virulent stomach bug

Latest Discussions