Last Poster #7

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I heard an amusing story today about someone's first interaction with Anne McCaffrey, which has me wanting to go back and read some of the Dragonriders of Pern series. I think I still have them on the shelf.
over the last... I don't know 40 years, i've given away most of my old paperbacks. Most to my kids, but some to the 2nd hand stores. At this point, all I have left are the ones that, as Marie Kondo would say, "bring me joy." :)

I pulled out the box, and here's what I found:

Several Robert E Howard paperbacks including the first few Conan book, a Cormac Mac Art book, and a couple of oddballs including a book of short stories by him.

The Crystal Singer by Anne McCaffery.
A couple of Andre Norton books, including the Beast Master.
Most (I don't think all) of the Elric books. I guess I didn't keep the others.

Also in that box: All of the core AD&D books, including two copies of Dieties and Demigods, one of them is first printing with Cthulhu, Newhon, and Melnibonean mythos. I also found like 20 or so original AD&D modules, including B1, B2, X1, and S1-4. D&D nerds will appreciate why those are special to me.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
over the last... I don't know 40 years, i've given away most of my old paperbacks. Most to my kids, but some to the 2nd hand stores. At this point, all I have left are the ones that, as Marie Kondo would say, "bring me joy." :)

I pulled out the box, and here's what I found:

Several Robert E Howard paperbacks including the first few Conan book, a Cormac Mac Art book, and a couple of oddballs including a book of short stories by him.

The Crystal Singer by Anne McCaffery.
A couple of Andre Norton books, including the Beast Master.
Most (I don't think all) of the Elric books. I guess I didn't keep the others.

Also in that box: All of the core AD&D books, including two copies of Dieties and Demigods, one of them is first printing with Cthulhu, Newhon, and Melnibonean mythos. I also found like 20 or so original AD&D modules, including B1, B2, X1, and S1-4. D&D nerds will appreciate why those are special to me.
At one time, I had a lot of books. Count in one room was a bit over 1500. We've reduced that - both systematically and sporadically - so I have some of the same. I think I gave away all but 4 or 5 of my Piers Anthony, and most of my David Eddings. Those two, alone, were probably 30 books. I likely gave away most of my McCaffrey, and had as much of her work as either of the previous two. I think I still have the original Pern trilogy I read, probably the origin book (was that a prequel?) and The Crystal Singer.

There were few I kept a lot of. I think I still have a dozen or so Heinlein. Unfortunately, as I've aged, my ADHD has made sitting and reading harder - I just can't devour a book like I used to.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
I heard an amusing story today about someone's first interaction with Anne McCaffrey, which has me wanting to go back and read some of the Dragonriders of Pern series. I think I still have them on the shelf.
Threads represent death in those books.

I think Annie predicted the modern era. In her vision, people rode dragons and burned threads into oblivion.

I might get shanked by the Jon Snows of this world for even saying that.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
At one time, I had a lot of books. Count in one room was a bit over 1500. We've reduced that - both systematically and sporadically - so I have some of the same. I think I gave away all but 4 or 5 of my Piers Anthony, and most of my David Eddings. Those two, alone, were probably 30 books. I likely gave away most of my McCaffrey, and had as much of her work as either of the previous two. I think I still have the original Pern trilogy I read, probably the origin book (was that a prequel?) and The Crystal Singer.

There were few I kept a lot of. I think I still have a dozen or so Heinlein. Unfortunately, as I've aged, my ADHD has made sitting and reading harder - I just can't devour a book like I used to.
Early Piers Anthony was great. Battle Circle series, etc. And even the early Xanth novels were fun... but man, I felt like turned into a one trick pony after a while, all about shoehorning puns into the story.

Like you, I had hundreds of books, mostly paperback. But over time, I've let a lot of that stuff go. I'm glad I kept the D&D stuff, though. My daughter is getting into 5th edition, and I don't think it would take too much to adapt those old modules to the new system.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like you, I had hundreds of books, mostly paperback. But over time, I've let a lot of that stuff go. I'm glad I kept the D&D stuff, though. My daughter is getting into 5th edition, and I don't think it would take too much to adapt those old modules to the new system.
It does not take much effort at all. A lot of them have already been adapted.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It does not take much effort at all. A lot of them have already been adapted.
I'm just learning the 5e system, but it really seems like they've simplified the rules a lot, and focus more on story telling. It also seems like there aren't very many modules available, which is a little challenging for a group of 13 year olds who are learning this as their first foray into TTRPG.

Based on what I've been reading, I'm kind of glad I missed 4e. We ended up playing Pathfinder. It sounds like folks who are moving from 4e to 5e are having a tough time as the game mechanics are different. At least, that's the impression I get

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm just learning the 5e system, but it really seems like they've simplified the rules a lot, and focus more on story telling. It also seems like there aren't very many modules available, which is a little challenging for a group of 13 year olds who are learning this as their first foray into TTRPG.

Based on what I've been reading, I'm kind of glad I missed 4e. We ended up playing Pathfinder. It sounds like folks who are moving from 4e to 5e are having a tough time as the game mechanics are different. At least, that's the impression I get
I never played 4e either. I started with the basic set when it first came out, played through the 2E era, and quit shortly after 3e was released. I only started playing 5e a couple years ago, and have only played semi-regularly for the last 6 months.
The modules we played back in 2e seem to have been largely replaced by larger works, like the Dungeon of the Mad Mage. They're basically entire campaigns in a book. Since 5e caps characters at level 20, this seems to work pretty well.
What we grew up calling modules seem to be called "one shots" now. I use DNDBeyond for characters. They have all of the 5e source books online, and a ton of pre-arranged adventures. Most seem to be of the campaign in a book sort rather than 1-2 sessions.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Being an IT guy, the very first thing I thought of was a CAT 5e network cable with RJ45 connectors
61DJnwEomaS._AC_SY450_.jpg

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
first snow removal session in my driveway this winter...with the new fake knee..... 1 1/2 inches....took me 1.25 hours... and I'm beat.....
I'm a big fan of supporting local entrepreneurs. By which I mean kids who will shovel my snow.
Not that we have any. We hit 68F today. I had to open windows!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I never played 4e either. I started with the basic set when it first came out, played through the 2E era, and quit shortly after 3e was released. I only started playing 5e a couple years ago, and have only played semi-regularly for the last 6 months.
The modules we played back in 2e seem to have been largely replaced by larger works, like the Dungeon of the Mad Mage. They're basically entire campaigns in a book. Since 5e caps characters at level 20, this seems to work pretty well.
What we grew up calling modules seem to be called "one shots" now. I use DNDBeyond for characters. They have all of the 5e source books online, and a ton of pre-arranged adventures. Most seem to be of the campaign in a book sort rather than 1-2 sessions.
That's really helpful. It's clear that there has been a shift in how things are organized. I started with the basic set, too. Played 2e in Germany with a group of fellow nerds. D20/3rd edition was, IMO, a real turning point for the game. Cleaned up a lot of funky rules and really made a lot of sense to me.

So far, I'm on board with the 5e rules. They seem flexible enough to do what you want with them.

That said, I was thinking the other day that it would be really cool to find an updated version of Gamma World. Has anyone updated that ruleset since the 80s?

In other vintage gaming news, I found my brothers old copy of the Autoduel Champions crossover rules, but his copy of Autoduels is loooong gone. What the heck am I going to do with THAT? I have neither the Autoduels game nor the Champions game. Oh well, it's still cool.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Being an IT guy, the very first thing I thought of was a CAT 5e network cable with RJ45 connectors
61DJnwEomaS._AC_SY450_.jpg
oh, I'm a fan of those, too. When they built our house, they ran phone outlets all over the house. Much to my surprise, they were all CAT 5e cables that were simply terminated using a single pair of the wires to an RJ11 port. So, all I needed to do to "wire" my house was put a punch board in the garage and replace the RJ11 outlets with CAT 5e. I really appreciated that for a long time. Nowadays, not such a big deal because wireless is so fast, but even 5 years ago it was faster to plug things into the wall when possible.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's really helpful. It's clear that there has been a shift in how things are organized. I started with the basic set, too. Played 2e in Germany with a group of fellow nerds. D20/3rd edition was, IMO, a real turning point for the game. Cleaned up a lot of funky rules and really made a lot of sense to me.
Agreed. And there is absolutely more emphasis on role playing, rather than roll playing. The story is much much more important. Back in 2e, creating a character took all of 3 minutes. Both of the 5e groups I've played with have gotten together before the campaign and spent hours building the party.
So far, I'm on board with the 5e rules. They seem flexible enough to do what you want with them.
Agreed. And they retained Rule Zero.
The way classes are handled in 5e makes far more sense. Instead of being a [class] you're a person who mostly does [class] but will also likely have knowledge/ability that's generally associated with [other classes].

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's either adorable or frightening. Hard to read her expression.
She can be pretty threatening. She knows four ways to attack someone.

1. Lick. She will lick you without hesitation.

2. Lay down. She gets in her spoiled mood where she will sit/lay down and stare and you until you pick her up. She will not walk when she is like this. She will only get up when you reach down to pick her up.

3. Bark. She barks when she hears noise in another room. Bark is usually followed by lick. She will chase you and lick you.

4. Lap sit. If your sitting, she will try sit on your lap, and probably nap.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Early Piers Anthony was great. Battle Circle series, etc. And even the early Xanth novels were fun... but man, I felt like turned into a one trick pony after a while, all about shoehorning puns into the story.

He apparently wrote Xanth for the money. Call think it shows after the second trilogy - maybe even after the first. Did you ever read his horror novel?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven’t played since the early ‘80s, whatever that was.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

2. Lay down. She gets in her spoiled mood where she will sit/lay down and stare and you until you pick her up. She will not walk when she is like this. She will only get up when you reach down to pick her up.

3. Bark. She barks when she hears noise in another room. Bark is usually followed by lick. She will chase you and lick you.

And I have zero defenses against any of those. My MA has failed me.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Sounds like Peyton. She's a cairn terrier that belongs to one of the kids. She likes to get a ball, bone, or stuffed animal. Then she comes and lays next to me on the couch and starts growling. If I pet her, she will growl louder. When I growl back, she jumps up on me and starts kissing me to make sure I know she was only kidding.

Latest Discussions