Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I left the house today, for the first time in 3 days.
I felt like I did a prison break!
How easily the mind messes with us!

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"The names of the seven continents of the world are: Asia, Africa, Europe, Australia, North America, South America, and Antarctica." Not sure how anyone would otherwise define them.

We have ran in similar circles in certain areas. My company (Owner/President) has done a great deal WTP/WWTP and petroleum work over the years. We have done VLS projects for Phillips, Chevron, Exxon Mobile, BP, and Lukoil. I cannot count how many municipalities over several countries we have worked for.
I have been able to reel in the travel circle over the last 10-15 years and seldom travel out of the US. We do more work for Tier 1,2,3 automotive manufacturers than anything else now. Really where the money is at now.
WTP/WWTP projects are so long term it is much harder to stay profitable.
The craziest project I ever remember (of any type) was a WWTP project that had over 1000 change orders, some over 1/4 million dollars and many for doing the same scope of work in a different location. Simply a project with zero accountability by the municipality or consulting engineers.
its far from '' agreed'' there are seven continents, as the defintion of continent is far from agreed, its just convention in different parts of the world as to how many there are, (which has more to do with politics than geography), that bares only a passing resemblance to the tectonic plates, which are themselves subject to debate.

the numbers vary between 5 and 7 with moves to make it 8

of particular debate is if europe and asia are different continents, which they most certainly are not, using any resonable defintion of continent, hence the well used scietific name eurasia

similarly it not clear that north and south america are seperate continents ( other than north america insistance that they are set against europes insistance they are not) and not at all clear that austriala is a continent at all and shouldnt be replaced with the larger greenland,

im suprised that someone as well traveled as yourself doesnt know this

here is a helpful guide
The Number of Continents on Earth Is More Complicated Than You Think

Last edited:

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I favor the Vulcan salute or the roaring 20's shimmy.
Spock_vulcan-salute.png
giphy.gif
Hahaha love ya work :D

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
its far from '' agreed'' there are seven continents, as the defintion of continent is far from agreed, its just convention in different parts of the world as to how many there are, (which has more to do with politics than geography), that bares only a passing resemblance to the tectonic plates, which are themselves subject to debate.

the numbers vary between 5 and 7 with moves to make it 8

of particular debate is if europe and asia are different continents, which they most certainly are not, using any resonable defintion of continent, hence the well used scietific name eurasia

similarly it not clear that north and south america are seperate continents ( other than north america insistance that they are set against europes insistance they are not) and not at all clear that austriala is a continent at all and shouldnt be replaced with the larger greenland,

im suprised that someone as well traveled as yourself doesnt know this

here is a helpful guide
The Number of Continents on Earth Is More Complicated Than You Think

Everyone knows this debate. I simply choose to acknowledge the overwhelming majority, and what I was taught throughout school. Since it really has no impact on my day to day life I give it zero thought.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Everyone knows this debate. I simply choose to acknowledge the overwhelming majority, and what I was taught throughout school. Since it really has no impact on my day to day life I give it zero thought.
your zero thought is obvious, but you may have perhaps have utilised a few seconds of thought before telling me i was wrong to wonder what defintion your are using ?

how have you come to the conclusion of what the ''overwelming majority'' of the world think ? you may be correct, most of the world only has an elimentary education and may therefore agree with you.

but europens out number north ameicans and vastly outnumber the people who have been through the united states education system and are commonly instructed that there are 6 continents. i have no idea what they teach in india, china and such, but then neither do you

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
your zero thought is obvious, but you may have perhaps have utilised a few seconds of thought before telling me i was wrong to wonder what defintion your are using ?

how have you come to the conclusion of what the vast majority of the world think ? you may be correct most of the world only has an elimentary education and may therefore agree with you.

but europens out number north ameicans and vastly outnumber the people who have been through the united states education system and are commonly instructed that there are 6 continents. i have no idea what they teach in india, china and such, but then neither do you

Who said anyone was wrong? I simply explained that I grew up learning there are 7 continents and follow that convention because it really has zero bearing on me.
Why do you choose to go on the offensive and jump to an agenda of belittling much of the worlds population because they may only have a elementary education?
I am in agreement with you in that I have no idea what is taught in other countries. It has zero bearing on me.
And you know what? Unless your livelihood is precipitated upon knowing and deciding such things, IT DOESN'T MATTER!!

There was absolutely no need to go bashing people. Quit looking down your nose at people. It is very unbecoming.

You were taught 6, I was taught 7. It is no big deal. FWIW, if you go to Google it , the most consistent answer is 7. But IT DOESN'T MATTER.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Who said anyone was wrong? I simply explained that I grew up learning there are 7 continents and follow that convention because it really has zero bearing on me.
Why do you choose to go on the offensive and jump to an agenda of belittling much of the worlds population because they may only have a elementary education?
I am in agreement with you in that I have no idea what is taught in other countries. It has zero bearing on me.
And you know what? Unless your livelihood is precipitated upon knowing and deciding such things, IT DOESN'T MATTER!!

There was absolutely no need to go bashing people. Quit looking down your nose at people. It is very unbecoming.

You were taught 6, I was taught 7. It is no big deal. FWIW, if you go to Google it , the most consistent answer is 7. But IT DOESN'T MATTER.
you said in another thread only a few days ago, that just because its on google doesnt make it true, yet here you are depending on google

you told me in the most patronising and definetive manner there were 7 continents and you couldnt understand why anyone would think differently.

the reason why people would think differently is that most of the world hasnt been through the american education system

and knolledge isnt a democracy, what most people think, escecially as your basing it on most people in america, isnt actualy an indecation of if its true or not

and really, you think facts dont MATTER ???????? thats not an engineers view point

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
you said in another thread only a few days ago, that just because its on google doesnt make it true, yet here you are depending on google

you told me in the most patronising and definetive manner there were 7 continents and you couldnt understand why anyone would think differently.

the reason why people would think differently is that most of the world hasnt been through the american education system

and knolledge isnt a democracy, what most people think, escecially as your basing it on most people in america, isnt actualy an indecation of if its true or not

and really, you think facts dont MATTER ????????
Man, your narrative that Only your way of thinking is right is getting really, really old.

If you had paid attention you would have saw that I said 'FWIW' when I referenced Google. Does your vast school system education not allow you to understand this?

In no was did I say anything patronizing or definitive. I simply said this is the way I was taught and choose to follow. Nothing else.
Again, and again, it has zero bearing on me how many continents are defined.

You are correct that knowledge is not a democracy so what school system a person has been thorough has little to no bearing on this conversation as far as 'who is right'. There is no single answer.
As far as I am concerned it is a largely meaningless number.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Man, your narrative that Only your way of thinking is right is getting really, really old.

If you had paid attention you would have saw that I said 'FWIW' when I referenced Google. Does your vast school system education not allow you to understand this?

In no was did I say anything patronizing or definitive. I simply said this is the way I was taught and choose to follow. Nothing else.
Again, and again, it has zero bearing on me how many continents are defined.

You are correct that knowledge is not a democracy so what school system a person has been thorough has little to no bearing on this conversation as far as 'who is right'. There is no single answer.
As far as I am concerned it is a largely meaningless number.
no i have no idea what FWIW means, non at all, we didnt do american acronims, why would you exspect us to ?, we gave you the language, the least you could do is write the words out in full

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
no i have no idea what FWIW means, non at all, we didnt do american acronims, why would you exspect us to ?, we gave you the language, the least you could do is write the words out in full
I do not know where it got started but it is not just an American thing. They are called acronym's in case you did not know. Internet slang for 'For What It's Worth'. Crawl out from under your rock and look around sometime.
The apron strings were cut about 244 years ago. You language is certainly Your language. Not ours.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
it clearly doesnt have an apostrophe S on it, even in america,its just Acronyms( no apostrophe ) if your going to correct me, at least be correct
it's not an acronym, it's an abbreviation. FYI

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
After watching the news last night and this morning and all the things associated with the current plague I had to wonder......when they sat essential.... I wonder if that is just a nice way of saying expendable :D
On the other hand, when you are all alone in your bunker, you might be the designated surviver...

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
it's not an acronym, it's an .abbreviation FYI
no its not, taking the first letter of a series of word to make a new word is an acronym, an a abbreviation is the shortening of one word or sometimes more than one in series,

so for English language exam ENG LANG EX is an abbreviation where as ELE is an acronym

its possible to argue that acronyms are also a form of abbreviation, but that doesnt stop them from being acronyms, which is the point your contesting

is google down in the states ?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no its not, taking the first letter of a series of word to make a new word is an acronym, an a abbreviation is the shortening of one word or sometimes more than one in series,

so for English language exam ENG LANG EX is an abbreviation where as ELE is an acronym

its possible to argue that acronyms are also a form of abbreviation, but that doesnt stop them from being acronyms, which is the point your contesting

is google down in the states ?
"FWIW" isn't used as a word (you wouldn't try to actually pronounce it). It's just an abbreviation. "SCUBA" is an acronym, because it's said as a word.

Status
Not open for further replies.