Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
"FWIW" isn't used as a word (you wouldn't try to actually pronounce it). It's just an abbreviation. "SCUBA" is an acronym, because it's said as a word.
that is not, as you would know if youd spent 30 secs fact checking, the defining factor in if is an acronym or not, and anyway I as anybody else could pronounce FWIW if I had a mind to,. in fact I just have, I've certainly heard lot of folks prounce fyi, as fie

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that is not, as you would know if youd spent 30 secs fact checking, the defining factor in if is an acronym or not, and anyway I as anybody else could pronounce FWIW if I had a mind to,. in fact I just have, I've certainly heard lot of folks prounce fyi, as fie
Nice.

EDIT: Just thought I'd drop this in. From Lexico (powered by Oxford): "an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word"

So, yeah. Nice.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nice.

EDIT: Just thought I'd drop this in. From Lexico (powered by Oxford): "an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of other words and pronounced as a word"

So, yeah. Nice.
it seems a moot point as ive pronounced is a word, something you said no one would ever do and as a word is a collection of letters that have a meaning its definetly a word

fromk wiki

n acronym is a word or name formed from the initial components of a longer name or phrase, usually using individual initial letters, as in NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) or EU (European Union), but sometimes using syllables, as in Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg), or a mixture of the two, as in radar (RAdio Detection And Ranging). Similarly, acronyms are sometimes pronounced as words, as in NASA or UNESCO, sometimes as the individual letters, as in FBI or ATM, or a mixture of the two, as in JPEG or IUPAC.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it seems a moot point as ive pronounced is a word, something you said no one would ever do and as a word is a collection of letters that have a meaning its definetly a word

fromk wiki

n acronym is a word or name formed from the initial components of a longer name or phrase, usually using individual initial letters, as in NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) or EU (European Union), but sometimes using syllables, as in Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg), or a mixture of the two, as in radar (RAdio Detection And Ranging). Similarly, acronyms are sometimes pronounced as words, as in NASA or UNESCO, sometimes as the individual letters, as in FBI or ATM, or a mixture of the two, as in JPEG or IUPAC.
Keep trying. You'll get there.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, based on the day, and the times, and the whole Covid thing....I think this is rather appropriate

It honestly has that feel doesn't it... I was out today at the library and you could feel it in the air... there was this strange tension and as though things were so different now... like walking on a tightrope...

It's all really escalated so fast!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You know, no one is more surprised than I am, but with the Virus, my impending surgery, my tooth, having to go to work when everyone else is told to stay home, Mrs Xue closing her office due to virus concerns, my mother in her upper 80s, my youngest home from school because of the virus panic and the oldest told to stay home and not go to school in Virginia..... I realized this morning, I an actually more than a little stressed

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You know, no one is more surprised than I am, but with the Virus, my impending surgery, my tooth, having to go to work when everyone else is told to stay home, Mrs Xue closing her office due to virus concerns, my mother in her upper 80s, my youngest home from school because of the virus panic and the oldest told to stay home and not go to school in Virginia..... I realized this morning, I an actually more than a little stressed

It is a really weird feeling, isn't it!
I am glad I have a yard and my neighbors are a little away from the house...
but leaving the house, it feels like I am doing something wrong.
Feels like being under siege?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It is a really weird feeling, isn't it!
I am glad I have a yard and my neighbors are a little away from the house...
but leaving the house, it feels like I am doing something wrong.
Feels like being under siege?

It is a bit odd, particularly when I drive home from work, in what use to be rush hour traffic, and all I see out my office window is 5 cars

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Xue I thought about you earlier.
I received a call early this morning telling me the fluid drawn off my knee Monday came back with a white count of 68,000. 14,000 is normal. So I am setting here at the hospital waiting to be wheeled in to get the arthroscopic wash the doctor talked about for 2 weeks.
Thankfully it is supposed to be out-patient.
For those of you who pray, please keep me in your prayers.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I received a call early this morning telling me the fluid drawn off my knee Monday came back with a white count of 68,000. 14,000 is normal. So I am setting here at the hospital waiting to be wheeled in to get the arthroscopic wash the doctor talked about for 2 weeks.

You and Xue will be fully in my prayers.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Good luck
I go in next Wednesday, if they don't cancel

You and Xue will be fully in my prayers.

Thanks Bro

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is a bit odd, particularly when I drive home from work, in what use to be rush hour traffic, and all I see out my office window is 5 cars
Twilight Zone

And I stay in line with 6 people buying liquor....(And felt like I escaped from jail!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions