Last Poster #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Too many people from around the world on island all the time, even now. I'm not going to shake hands with anyone around here for a good long time.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our states border each other. I am wondering if you had noticed any change in social conventions?

We went to an auction and purchased another 65 acres over the weekend. I would say there were about 50 people there, and a noticeable part of the makeup was young children. One thing I noticed was no one was afraid to interact and even shake hands as usual. Leading up to the auction, I met with several people and when I asked if they were shaking hands, no one hesitated.
I think I understand that greeting conventions are different around the world. For me, something that other parts of the world and possibly even parts our own country do not fully understand is that a handshake often has much more meaning than just a greeting. I fully believe I can glean quite a lot of information about a person from a handshake.
I spent a good amount of time interacting with most of the group at the auction and by the time it started I had a good idea who the real players were.
Before the start of bidding there was a Q&A session where I was vocal about the terms of the auction (which were very innocuous and messed up). After all the questions 5 people simply left and I could tell the auctioneer was not very happy but that is how auctions go.
The property was split up into 4 tracts. Then the sum total of the 4 bids was lumped together, 10% added and that was the starting bid for the whole farm. Only one other man bid on the whole farm and I am pretty certain he was a ringer with the auction company. At the end of the day, we got the whole property for just under 200k less than what it was on the market for.

After the auction was over and we were processing the paperwork, I tried to shake the auctioneers had and he would not. I am certain it had nothing to do with the virus.
I don't actually get around groups much near home. We spend a lot of time at home, anyway. When I'm driving for Lyft, most folks don't even offer to shake hands - they head directly to the back seat. Those who choose to sit up front don't seem much afraid of handshakes, though that might also be a self-selection outcome.

At the courthouse, I haven't yet seen much change in behavior, though things have ramped up considerably since my last shift (Thursday), so there might be differences now. However, they've canceled some of the court sessions, so there will be MANY fewer people coming through, so less chance to observe meaningful differences.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
a positive consequence of this whole thing:
I am organizing my pantry, found about a dozen packs of Ramen and inventoried the pasta and canned goods.

and it looks much better.

now, tomorrow I gotta count the jello....

I hope they get this thing under control though....
I don't want to hunt all over town for a box of eggs!
(and who panic buys eggs anyhow! It's not like you can freeze them!)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Me and my dad are still heading up to albany...but instead of march madness, we're going to go hiking and possibly kayaking. No people around so we're not putting anyone in danger, and making use of our hotel reservation.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Our states border each other. I am wondering if you had noticed any change in social conventions?

We went to an auction and purchased another 65 acres over the weekend. I would say there were about 50 people there, and a noticeable part of the makeup was young children. One thing I noticed was no one was afraid to interact and even shake hands as usual. Leading up to the auction, I met with several people and when I asked if they were shaking hands, no one hesitated.
I think I understand that greeting conventions are different around the world. For me, something that other parts of the world and possibly even parts our own country do not fully understand is that a handshake often has much more meaning than just a greeting. I fully believe I can glean quite a lot of information about a person from a handshake.
I spent a good amount of time interacting with most of the group at the auction and by the time it started I had a good idea who the real players were.
Before the start of bidding there was a Q&A session where I was vocal about the terms of the auction (which were very innocuous and messed up). After all the questions 5 people simply left and I could tell the auctioneer was not very happy but that is how auctions go.
The property was split up into 4 tracts. Then the sum total of the 4 bids was lumped together, 10% added and that was the starting bid for the whole farm. Only one other man bid on the whole farm and I am pretty certain he was a ringer with the auction company. At the end of the day, we got the whole property for just under 200k less than what it was on the market for.

After the auction was over and we were processing the paperwork, I tried to shake the auctioneers had and he would not. I am certain it had nothing to do with the virus.
i agrre that handshakes can tell you a lot about a person, particularly people who, outside of formal situations where its exspected, insist on shaking your hand are very very odd and should be avoided

particualy if they are using it as a way to find out what sort of person i am, that really non of there buisness and i get nothing out of it, i already know what type of person they are by virtue of them wanting to shake hands in the first place or even more the high % of these types who insist on trying to break your hand,

if you sensibly refuse they can get quite hostile, which under lines why you should have avoided them in the first place

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
i agrre that handshakes can tell you a lot about a person, particularly people who, outside of formal situations where its exspected, insist on shaking your hand are very very odd and should be avoided

particualy if they are using it as a way to find out what sort of person i am, that really non of there buisness and i get nothing out of it, i already know what type of person they are by virtue of them wanting to shake hands in the first place or even more the high % of these types who insist on trying to break your hand,

if you sensibly refuse they get quite hostile, which under lines why you should have avoided them in the first place

The 'trying to break you hand' style shake is definitely a grade school age thing. If that is galvanized in you memory and you are still relating that to an adult handshake before an important meeting, no one cannot help you much there.

I will try to paint a couple pictures.
1.)If I met you in person for the first time at a casual, friendly event I would shake your hand in greeting and that would be the end of it. It would simply be my/our attempt to be polite and social.
Your explanation of the informal handshake does tell a lot about you. That may or may not be picked up on in an informal greeting.
2.) If I meet people in a high level/business meeting, the greeting is a component part of the process. It behooves everyone involved to flesh out what they can about each other. Much more is usually learned along the way.

Clearly the latter is something you do not have a lot of familiarity with but I assure you it is quite the norm for everyone.

For clarification; in you opinion, if we meet and I greet you with a handshake that automatically makes me a bad person?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The 'trying to break you hand' style shake is definitely a grade school age thing. If that is galvanized in you memory and you are still relating that to an adult handshake before an important meeting, no one cannot help you much there.

I will try to paint a couple pictures.
1.)If I met you in person for the first time at a casual, friendly event I would shake your hand in greeting and that would be the end of it. It would simply be my/our attempt to be polite and social.
Your explanation of the informal handshake does tell a lot about you. That may or may not be picked up on in an informal greeting.
2.) If I meet people in a high level/business meeting, the greeting is a component part of the process. It behooves everyone involved to flesh out what they can about each other. Much more is usually learned along the way.

Clearly the latter is something you do not have a lot of familiarity with but I assure you it is quite the norm for everyone.

For clarification; in you opinion, if we meet and I greet you with a handshake that automatically makes me a bad person?
no that automaticaly makes you an odd person, it puts you in this same class as random drunks and congential idiots who also have a habit of shaking people hand.

I mean why do it ? it serves no purpose outside of yourMachiavellian find out what type of person they are

ive had a fair few ''high level ''meetings, all round the globe and thats one of the formal exceptions, though a high % of them go for the break yourhand, intimadation hand shake, but with practice, you get them first

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
no that automaticaly makes you an odd person, it puts you in this same class as random drunks and congential idiots who also have a habit of shaking people hand.

I mean why do it ? it serves no purpose outside of yourMachiavellian find out what type of person they are

ive had a fair few ''high level ''meetings, all round the globe and thats one of the formal exceptions, though a high % of them go for the break yourhand, intimadation hand shake, but with practice, you get them first
By your reckoning, a handshake is not a social convention on your island. That does not summarily make that so elsewhere. Weird logic there.
I have Never been to a part of the world where the handshake was not welcome and expected, the includes Asia and Europe.

You have made the vague reference of being a world traveler before. How many of the continents have you been to?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
a positive consequence of this whole thing:
I am organizing my pantry, found about a dozen packs of Ramen and inventoried the pasta and canned goods.

and it looks much better.

now, tomorrow I gotta count the jello....

I hope they get this thing under control though....
I don't want to hunt all over town for a box of eggs!
(and who panic buys eggs anyhow! It's not like you can freeze them!)
We have enough chickens to have our egg needs covered, hopefully.

My biggest frustration is that things were not rationed from jump. Retail/online stores should easily have the means to throttle purchases to a reasonable. It does not seem hard to figure out that a person buying 50 packs of toilet paper is hoarding. There are stores like Costco that are setup of people who regularly buy in bulk.
This would have gone a very, very long way in controlling the swell of panic buying and media hype.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
By your reckoning, a handshake is not a social convention on your island. That does not summarily make that so elsewhere. Weird logic there.
I have Never been to a part of the world where the handshake was not welcome and expected, the includes Asia and Europe.

You have made the vague reference of being a world traveler before. How many of the continents have you been to?

that depends on your classification of continent i supose, but ive not been to the Antarctic or south america.

I was europe africa and middle easten safety and enviromental manager for an american ''remediation'' company, which despite the clue in the name also included god forsaken counties in asia ( but non in africa), the sort of countires where you have guards with AK47s whilst you look at pipe lines. the upside was aranging ( pointless) meeting in counties i did want to visit, which gave ample time for sight seeing. like australia

I also worked in LA for a couple of months on secondment, (mostly sight seening) i could have stayed, but i was getting married and she wouldnt move at all, let alone continents

then i worked for the european union middle easten development agency, mostly doing enviromental audits on pharmaceutical plants and oil rigs. before i went to work for an oil company where i was mostly dealling with dead people and major releases in god forsaken counties in africa

by then, my wife felt neglected and that was enough airports at 5 oclock in the morning, so i got a job in liverpool, but they promoted me to national manager, which meant more airports and even worse motorways at 5 oclock in the morning.

so i went working as a director for a water company were i sat in my house doing very nearly nothing, but ringing up people who had got up at 5 in the morning wanting to know what they had done, absolute bliss oh and a few high level meetings with hand shakes

Last edited:

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
:cool:
62304bf9aec00be145bd7d6b71b66517.jpg
I favor the Vulcan salute or the roaring 20's shimmy.
Spock_vulcan-salute.png
giphy.gif

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Schools are closed, and YMCA of Western North Carolina had made a decision to close today for the next two weeks. Working with my Y circle to broadcast video conferences and getting ready to create videos on fitness, good posture, movement, and maybe some storytime and educational stuff for kids and grownups.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well..... they just closed the state. All non-essential personal do not report to work for the next 2 weeks......SURPRISE!!!! I'm essential so everyone goes home....I go to work...which means from now until the 24th I sit here doing this

tenor.gif

Then the 25th, I go for knee surgery and I get to stay home for 2.5 weeks, where I get to do this

13231C_1000x1000.jpg

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've been off work for the last five days. This morning I've decided to self quarantine for the next ten days. Hawaii airports have done a lot to help in these trying times....they put up a couple more hand sanitizers. Officials here care only about one thing....tourist dollars.

Arsehats, all of them.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
that depends on your classification of continent i supose, but ive not been to the Antarctic or south america.

I was europe africa and middle easten safety and enviromental manager for an american ''remediation'' company, which despite the clue in the name also included god forsaken counties in asia ( but non in africa), the sort of countires where you have guards with AK47s whilst you look at pipe lines. the upside was aranging ( pointless) meeting in counties i did want to visit, which gave ample time for sight seeing. like australia

I also worked in LA for a couple of months on secondment, (mostly sight seening) i could have stayed, but i was getting married and she wouldnt move at all, let alone continents

then i worked for the european union middle easten development agency, mostly doing enviromental audits on pharmaceutical plants and oil rigs. before i went to work for an oil company where i was mostly dealling with dead people and major releases in god forsaken counties in africa

by then, my wife felt neglected and that was enough airports at 5 oclock in the morning, so i got a job in liverpool, but they promoted me to national manager, which meant more airports and even worse motorways at 5 oclock in the morning.

so i went working as a director for a water company were i sat in my house doing very nearly nothing, but ringing up people who had got up at 5 in the morning wanting to know what they had done, absolute bliss oh and a few high level meetings with hand shakes

"The names of the seven continents of the world are: Asia, Africa, Europe, Australia, North America, South America, and Antarctica." Not sure how anyone would otherwise define them.

We have ran in similar circles in certain areas. My company (Owner/President) has done a great deal WTP/WWTP and petroleum work over the years. We have done VLS projects for Phillips, Chevron, Exxon Mobile, BP, and Lukoil. I cannot count how many municipalities over several countries we have worked for.
I have been able to reel in the travel circle over the last 10-15 years and seldom travel out of the US. We do more work for Tier 1,2,3 automotive manufacturers than anything else now. Really where the money is at now.
WTP/WWTP projects are so long term it is much harder to stay profitable.
The craziest project I ever remember (of any type) was a WWTP project that had over 1000 change orders, some over 1/4 million dollars and many for doing the same scope of work in a different location. Simply a project with zero accountability by the municipality or consulting engineers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions