promotion promotion read all about it

M

meni

Can someone please explain me what the big fuss about?
Every time some one, in any kenpo thread brings up that so and so is 6th 7th 8th 9th or 10th some one have to come and yell: he (I didn’t see any she) wasn't that high under Mr. Parker or where did they receive that promotion and who promoted them
1. It looks very petty
2. What the different if some one is teaching the material and information that was given be Mr. Parker and he or she ware students of Mr. Parker and in addition giving the time factor since Mr. parker untimely death (about 13 years)
What the big dill?

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I personally could care less who gets promoted by whom, how high they are, or how they got there. It makes no difference to me. That person has to wear the belt not me. I worry about trying to learn and understand my own kenpo.

OP
J

jeffkyle

Originally posted by jfarnsworth

I personally could care less who gets promoted by whom, how high they are, or how they got there. It makes no difference to me. That person has to wear the belt not me. I worry about trying to learn and understand my own kenpo.

Amen to that! All that red may look good, but it is how they convey their knowledge that is important.

Les

Brown Belt
Reaction score

Personally, I feel that one's Kenpo knowledge and skills are in your head and in your heart.

I don't think they are around your waist or hanging on the wall in a nice frame.

Maybe I'd feel differently if I had a high rank, or a big ego.

Les

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score

What is of most concern is your personal lineage and how they got it. If it is strong and ethical, you can sleep at night, and know that you are legitimate without someone challenging you or your instructors rank.

Many today do not care (which is why some are concerned about all these stories) and can literally buy these ranks. One day an instructor is a 3rd degree, the next he is a 5th and then WHAMO someone comes along and he now is a 6th or an 11th or maybe higher. LOL

It is America however, and people are free to do as they wish, but we can also point out these jokes to our students as well.

I personally don't feel they are useless.......... I use them as bad examples!

:asian:

OP
C

C.E.Jackson

IMHO:

:soapbox:

The best judge of an instructor's ability is not in the number of stripes he displays but by the knowledge his students carry. quality of his student's skills and the charactor within his students. This is the true measure of the qualities of his Instructor.
I'll get off my soap box now! :D:

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by C.E.Jackson
The best judge of an instructor's ability is not in the number of stripes he displays but by the knowledge his students carry. quality of his student's skills and the charactor within his students. This is the true measure of the qualities of his Instructor.

True, but only if the instructor is the one the student gained all the "KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, CHARACTER, & QUALITY" from and not prior instruction from some else, where the current instructor takes the credit.

Other than that, yes I agree with you.

OP
C

C.E.Jackson

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

True, but only if the instructor is the one the student gained all the "KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, CHARACTER, & QUALITY" from and not prior instruction from some else, where the current instructor takes the credit.

Good point! I couldn't agree more.:asian:

OP
R

RCastillo

What is of most concern is your personal lineage and how they got it. If it is strong and ethical, you can sleep at night, and know that you are legitimate without someone challenging you or your instructors rank.

Many today do not care (which is why some are concerned about all these stories) and can literally buy these ranks. One day an instructor is a 3rd degree, the next he is a 5th and then WHAMO someone comes along and he now is a 6th or an 11th or maybe higher. LOL

It is America however, and people are free to do as they wish, but we can also point out these jokes to our students as well.

I personally don't feel they are useless.......... I use them as bad examples!

It is very hard to sleep at nite when the Goldendragon thinks of you as a bad example!

Oh well, back to the drawing board!

Maybe one day he'll throw a bone my way!:eek:

OP
M

meni

Yep this is true however one of the problem is that students and instructors are afraid to ask the right questions or to explore anything but the word to the head instructor which of course crate instead of interested people a bunch of useless close minded people, which lead to zero contribution to the development and the flow of the art !

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by meni

Yep this is true however one of the problem is that students and instructors are afraid to ask the right questions or to explore anything but the word to the head instructor which of course crate instead of interested people a bunch of useless close minded people, which lead to zero contribution to the development and the flow of the art !

So true........ which is why I use these examples ............. so we can truly analyze the philosophy of other individuals and organizations. Understanding their unique philosophies are at times extremely insightful and educational ........... as to a new path to explore or a valid reason why what you do is correct for you.

If students don't know the right questions to ask I help them ask some question. LOL

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
personally, I think a good instructor is one who realizes that its what's in your brain that counts, not what's on your belt.

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV

If students don't know the right questions to ask I help them ask some question. LOL

Yes, he does. He also encourages going to other's seminars so that we have an idea of what else is going on out there so that we may come back with even more educated questions.:D