Interact with quality martial artists.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend who is an MMAist told me that if you want to keep growing, and you're the toughest cat in your gym, you need to find a new gym. "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." Right?

Well... iron doesn't actually sharpen iron...

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If your opponent is much better than you and when you spar/wrestle with him, the record is always 15-0 (I like 15 rounds testing), after 3 years of such sparring/wrestling, he can destroy your self-confidence big time. Can you learn something? May be. But the amount of "self-confidence lose" can be much more than the experience that you may gain.

I don't like the term "invest in lose". If a girl has turned you down all the time, you may lose confidence to date other girls. Some people can get back up after been defeated. Some people cannot. In wrestling, a strong right hand person can change a weak right hand person to be a left hand person. Some people may not like to be forced to change.

We have a club mentality that disagrees. Anything achieved on our coach is a legitimate success. No free lunches. After a while you get used to it. And then he doesn't get any free lunches either.

If you want to make a dating analogy. Look up pick up courses and training. Because they invest in loss. They do set attacks. If they don't work there are back up attacks if that doesn't work there are other girls. It is not about getting that one girl first time.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A friend who is an MMAist told me that if you want to keep growing, and you're the toughest cat in your gym, you need to find a new gym. "As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." Right?

That.

And for all those semantic posters. What does a steel do?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That.

And for all those semantic posters. What does a steel do?

A sharpened edge, unless it's abused to the point of chipping, doesn't actually dull. The edge just rolls, forming a burr (the thing people feel with their thumbs that they mistakenly think means a blade is sharp). A steel straightens the burr and restores the edge.
A strop removes the burr, which is far better.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We have a club mentality that disagrees. Anything achieved on our coach is a legitimate success. No free lunches. After a while you get used to it. And then he doesn't get any free lunches either.

If you want to make a dating analogy. Look up pick up courses and training. Because they invest in loss. They do set attacks. If they don't work there are back up attacks if that doesn't work there are other girls. It is not about getting that one girl first time.
Can a Judo white belt be able to throw a "high level Judo black belt" even if they may wrestle for 10,000 rounds (15 rounds per day for the next 2 years)? I have seen a high level person wrestle with a low level person for over 10 years and the score was always 15-0. What can that low lever person learn in those years?

Last edited:
OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can a Judo white belt be able to throw a "high level Judo black belt" even if they may wrestle for 10,000 rounds (15 rounds per day for the next 2 years)? I have seen a high level person wrestle with a low level person for over 10 years and the score was always 15-0. What can that low lever person learn in that 2 years?

so the low level judo belt is doing something the high level isn't.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can a Judo white belt be able to throw a "high level Judo black belt" even if they may wrestle for 10,000 rounds (15 rounds per day for the next 2 years)? I have seen a high level person wrestle with a low level person for over 10 years and the score was always 15-0. What can that low lever person learn in that 2 years?

In TEN YEARS this "low level" person never learned anything? That's just sad.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In TEN YEARS this "low level" person never learned anything? That's just sad.
You may have a luck punch on your opponent, but you will never have a luck throw on your opponent. If a Judo white belt can take down a high level Judo black belt, there is something wrong in that high level black belt training.

OP
drop bear

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
He may have learned there are something that he did wrong. But what was wrong? When a girl turns a guy down, she may not tell him why. So what can that guy learn?

But obviously they were taught different throws. Or the white belt was taught wrong. Otherwise both throws would work.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
You may have a luck punch on your opponent, but you will never have a luck throw on your opponent. If a Judo white belt can take down a high level Judo black belt, there is something wrong in that high level black belt training.

After 10 years of training that judo white belt was still a white belt? Maybe I didn't understand what you meant.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But obviously they were taught different throws. Or the white belt was taught wrong. Otherwise both throws would work.
They may learn the technique (the 1st 50%) exactly the same way. But their "ability (the other 50%)" may be different. The high level guy may be stronger, faster, ...

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
After 10 years of training that judo white belt was still a white belt? Maybe I didn't understand what you meant.
Of course the low level guy was no longer be a white belt. Even if he had reached to his black belt after 10 years, the other high level guy had reached to even higher level. The difference between him and the other guy was still there.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
They may learn the technique (the 1st 50%) exactly the same way. But their "ability (the other 50%)" may be different. The high level guy may be stronger, faster, ...

What if the low level guy is stronger and faster and gets 10 years of skill to back it up?

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What if the low level guy is stronger and faster and gets 10 years of skill to back it up?
If we agree with that "strength can defeat 10 best techniques" then that equation will change. In my example, the low level guy was not stronger and faster. The technique is the 1st 50%. The ability is the other 50%. IMO, the ability include speed, strength, endurance, flexibility, balance, ...

Last edited: