MMA and similar arts are not true Martial Arts?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
|
Don't believe I posted anything like that. Don't remember repeating 'awesome.' You kinda created the kind of reply you complain about me posting that I don't.....

I was paraphrasing.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are combining it then it is mma. If you are modifying it so it works as a separate unit to its parts it is mma.
|
Ya. You know I really agree with you here. MMA = mixed martial arts. How you mix them is an open book. I know Danny T has a lot invested in his program, yet it is only one version of what MMA practitioners can do, how they approach. This is what (1 issue) makes MMA so interesting to a TMA like me.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are combining it then it is mma. If you are modifying it so it works as a separate unit to its parts it is mma.
Muay Thai began combining Boxing to its techniques back in the 50's and throughout the 60's & 70's and has become a part of its system. Muay Thai is mma by your explanation. Same could be said of many other systems that have evolved by the combining of different aspects of other methods. BJJ is an evolving system what is presently returning to its roots of judo and is combining a lot of wrestling to it methods. BJJ then by your definition would also be mma. The Kali system Pekiti-Tirsia was a family system that the father sent his sons out to other trainers to learn their systems. Upon returning to the family the brothers got together to find out what worked within their systems framework and what didn't. What worked they combined to their system of Pekiti-Tirsia with stick work, sword work, empty hand work, and Dumog (grappling). By your definition Pekiti-Tirsia is mma.

Emilee <3

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Came across this article from a guy who does Aikido, basically saying that due to a lack of spiritual focus, and instead a focus that purely revolves around fighting, MMA and similar styles can't be considered "Martial Arts".

Shoshin Examiner Aikido in the Age of MMA

I find such reasoning to be silly, but I would lying if I said I hadn't heard it before from traditional stylists on one form or another.

So, are MMA and similar arts truly martial arts, or are the something different? Perhaps simply combative sports?

As someone who does taekwondo, I still read articles and watch videos about other types of martial arts. I personally accept and respect all martial arts, and don't believe there are any "true" or "fake" martial arts (except EFO). Just because MMA lacks the traditional focus on inner peace and meditation, etc, doesn't necessarily mean it's not a real martial art. Spiritual focus is only a fraction of what makes up a martial art, and if anyone says that being a disciplined MMA fighter doesn't require a strong and indomitable spirit, they'd be lying.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
As someone who does taekwondo, I still read articles and watch videos about other types of martial arts. I personally accept and respect all martial arts, and don't believe there are any "true" or "fake" martial arts (except EFO). Just because MMA lacks the traditional focus on inner peace and meditation, etc, doesn't necessarily mean it's not a real martial art. Spiritual focus is only a fraction of what makes up a martial art, and if anyone says that being a disciplined MMA fighter doesn't require a strong and indomitable spirit, they'd be lying.

In my experiences with kenpo we had virtually no focus on any spiritual aspect. We were there to train how to fight and not train how to meditate. Spirituality sort of came naturally through the process of seeing oneself become stronger through rigorous training.

We were told a strong spirit is the first step to a strong body and mind. We however never meditated or had to stand under waterfalls or pray to Buddha or anything like that. In fact I don't think I have ever seen any of the sifu meditating before.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Came across this article from a guy who does Aikido, basically saying that due to a lack of spiritual focus, and instead a focus that purely revolves around fighting, MMA and similar styles can't be considered "Martial Arts".

Shoshin Examiner Aikido in the Age of MMA

I find such reasoning to be silly, but I would lying if I said I hadn't heard it before from traditional stylists on one form or another.

So, are MMA and similar arts truly martial arts, or are the something different? Perhaps simply combative sports?
I think the whole term martial artist being different from fighter is just a silly myth. Like of someone said to me you're a great fighter but you're not a martial artist who cares as long as I can defend myself or my family if someone attacks me then who calls if I'm a martial artist or a fighter it's just a word at the end of the day

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I disagree. People also take up MMA for self defense purposes, and personal fitness.
I have to agree. I mean I'm a karate guy who's been training in karate for over 10 years now but I admit that mma training these days is more interesting to people. It's more bag work and sparring where as traditional martial arts are more based in forms and techniques and going up and down the hall. Now I'm not knocking that I love karate and I love the way the training is but these days people would rather be Connor mcgregor than mr Myagi so it appeals to them more for self defence purposes

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to agree. I mean I'm a karate guy who's been training in karate for over 10 years now but I admit that mma training these days is more interesting to people. It's more bag work and sparring where as traditional martial arts are more based in forms and techniques and going up and down the hall. Now I'm not knocking that I love karate and I love the way the training is but these days people would rather be Connor mcgregor than mr Myagi so it appeals to them more for self defence purposes

I'd rather be me :).