Less worryed to fight martial artist then street fighter.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'll certainly look into what is being said on that other board, however I am looking to hear what you have to say on the issue...

Gambarimasu.
:asian:

OP
K

Kirk

Originally posted by Yiliquan1
I'll certainly look into what is being said on that other board, however I am looking to hear what you have to say on the issue...

Gambarimasu.

Definitely ... but you should read his link anyway, it's pretty
damned f unny!

OP
B

bob919

Originally posted by Jill666

My training partner was recently attacked by a drunk guy- hell they were both drunk. The guy hit him by surprize with a head-butt, then locked up with him. My friend, a wrestler, ex-marine, bb kenpoist didn't try to out fight him. He dug a thumb in the guy's eyeball, then went home. In the morning he filed a police report.

As far as I'm concerned, he handled himself perfectly- with the exception of being piss-drunk and letting someone surprise him like that.

[/B]

the other guy could be blinded for life over a drunken brawl, your friend was too vicsious his life was hardly in danger but digging a thumb into an eyeball is one of those hings that should only be used if your life is in danger which his was not

OP
B

bob919

Originally posted by redfang
Many of the replies that I read threw out terms like 'street punk' and 'street thug' in a fashion that sounded reminiscent of the low level baddies in a comic book: weak, ineffective, obvious, dull, slow, telegraphing etc. The reality is that many people who might be termed 'street fighters' live in a reality where violence is commonplace and fighting is a legitimate way to settle a grievance. When people survive for any length of time in such such surroundings, they tend to become efficient, tough fighters with a repetoire of albeit simple but effective methods and plenty of dirty tricks. Don't denigrate or underestimate the street fighter. Don't believe the myth of the slobbering drunk whose momentum might knock them down before you can unleash martial fury on them. Don't believe that just because someone may not have had formal training, that they can't be a formidible opponent. Many fine martial artists have come from the ranks of 'street fighters'.

:jediduel:

amen brother i basically trianed myself but i am damn good (modest too)

OP
J

Jill666

Originally posted by bob919
your friend was too vicsious his life was hardly in danger

How would he know that? A stranger has just attacked him. I stand by my statement.

OP
S

soccer50

When Fighting a some foo on the street, you dont know how many fights hes gotten into, what he can do, or the way he fights. The only thing to expect is a barrage of punches.

While fighting a martial artist, depending on what system your challeging,and even though people have different strategies youll have a vague idea of what to expect. you know that MAist have control.

But since the nature of street fighting is so violent, you'll stand a better chance fighting MAist than street fighters. Although MA has lots of techniques, the oppurtunity to apply those techniques are low

OP
S

soccer50

this thread was meant as a reply to "Less worryed to fight martial artist then street fighter. ", i clicked the wrong button...please disable this admins. thanks

OP
S

soccer50

Originally posted by Judo-kid
I personal find it easyer to fighter a Martial Artist then A street punk most of the time.

I mean even though i could destroy the street punk faster *i mean Fast* you never have any idea what they might do and if you will end up seriously hurting them or there crazy flaling will get you.

Where if i find out someone is a martial artist i have a pritty good idea on what to expect infact i find that there are so many bad schools that you end up fighting some joker whos been mind washed and fights like a fool droping there hands chambering there punchs using horse stance and using blocks to no effect.

Dos anyone else feel this way from time to time.
:samurai:

On the contrary
When Fighting a someone on the street, you dont know how many fights hes gotten into, what he can do, or the way he fights. The only thing to expect is a barrage of punches.

While fighting a martial artist, depending on what system your challeging,and even though people have different strategies youll have a vague idea of what to expect. you know that MAist have control.

But since the nature of street fighting is so violent, you'll stand a better chance fighting MAist than street fighters. Although MA has lots of techniques, the oppurtunity to apply those techniques are low

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by Judo-kid
I am also discussing the same topic at http://www.bullshido.com/topic.asp?...worryed+to+fight+martial+artist+then+street+f

There are alot of diffrent veiws i have seen and alot are true to some point. Check out what they had to say on the same topic there are alot more posts on it.
If you remember, I was also a member there... Until I got fed up with the 10-year old kids who thought they were invincible after some MMA training.

The forum is basically TMA bashing based on a lot of people's limited experience. The website itself is pretty funny however.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by soccer50
Although MA has lots of techniques, the oppurtunity to apply those techniques are low
What are you talking about?

You don't seem to understand, you apply certain techniques to the situation. Once you become proficient, you naturally apply the move that comes to you, and don't talk about how this move is for this situation, while this move is for that situation. That rarely works in a street fight, most of it is instinctive and reflexive. You don't think about it, it just comes to you. You transaction from one thing to another, it's not whether the oppourtunity to apply X technique for X situation.

Some moves were designed for that purpose, but those are rarely used in combat. Simpler moves can be applied to almost any situation.

Another thing, what makes a very skilled fighter is that HE CONTROLS the situation and OPENS UP oppurtunities himself.

OP
K

KenpoDragon

On the contrary
When Fighting a someone on the street, you dont know how many fights hes gotten into, what he can do, or the way he fights. The only thing to expect is a barrage of punches.
This is true with any fighter, not just "street fighters". I've never been in a fight, where the guy said hi, my name is blah blah, and I've been in x amount of fights, and I'm going to use this style on you o.k??? Give me a break!!!

Please state for everyone exactly how many fights that you have been in against "street fighters" , and against "martial artists" outside of the dojo or tournaments, because those don't apply to the street situations.

I'M SORRY BUT THE OPPORTUNITY TO APPLY YOUR TECHNIQUES ARE LOW??? What style do you study that "your" ability to apply your techniques is low??? I've used my training for over a decade and haven't lost a fight, against guys a lot bigger and stronger than me. How did I win, technique, skill over strength, knowledge over power.Oh and by the way ALL fights are violent, I would much rather fight a street fighter who might hit me a couple of times, but wouldn't take my eye out, like Jill666's friend would. I've never been in a fight where the guy said what technique he was going to use on me. Telegraphing is one thing, but a detailed attack sequence, really now who are you guys kidding!!! REAL martial arts fighters are EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!!!. I honestly hope that you and Judo-kid don't have to face one of us in your lifetime, we don't play nice, and THERE ARE NO RULES!!!

:asian: KenpoDragon

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by KenpoDragon
This is true with any fighter, not just "street fighters". I've never been in a fight, where the guy said hi, my name is blah blah, and I've been in x amount of fights, and I'm going to use this style on you o.k??? Give me a break!!!

Please state for everyone exactly how many fights that you have been in against "street fighters" , and against "martial artists" outside of the dojo or tournaments, because those don't apply to the street situations.

I'M SORRY BUT THE OPPORTUNITY TO APPLY YOUR TECHNIQUES ARE LOW??? What style do you study that "your" ability to apply your techniques is low??? I've used my training for over a decade and haven't lost a fight, against guys a lot bigger and stronger than me. How did I win, technique, skill over strength, knowledge over power.Oh and by the way ALL fights are violent, I would much rather fight a street fighter who might hit me a couple of times, but wouldn't take my eye out, like Jill666's friend would. I've never been in a fight where the guy said what technique he was going to use on me. Telegraphing is one thing, but a detailed attack sequence, really now who are you guys kidding!!! REAL martial arts fighters are EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!!!. I honestly hope that you and Judo-kid don't have to face one of us in your lifetime, we don't play nice, and THERE ARE NO RULES!!!

:asian: KenpoDragon
You won with channeling your chi/ki and flying in the air throwing ninja stars.

Yes, I agree with you.

I can jab anyone in most situations. I can't do a 540 roundhouse in most situations. If I wanted to do a 540, I would have to set it up. It's like in wrestling, you can't shoot without setting up. If you won't change the sitaution to your liking, then you're pretty much stuck and then you wouldn't be apply the technique of course, but that's elementary, a 6 year old wrestler knows how to set things up. But again, this is a hypothetical situation, I probably wouldn't use a 540 roundhouse unless I wanted to show off KO move - which means rarely.

OP
B

believer

let me tell you guys this story and hopefully it will clear things up. Many of you will probably not believe my story, because you think that just because you are martial artists you can defeat anybody in a fist fight. But, i will say my story anyway and it is VERY, VERY true.

Im just starting college and have recently been interested in
tae-kwon-do. Ive just started a month ago. My instructor is a man from Korea who is considered probably the best instuctor in my region. You do not wanna mess with this guy!!!! In this class we do FULL contact sparring. My instructor has kind of has a sick way of pitting the higher ranked people against a lower ranked person such as me (still white belt).

Before tae-kwon-do I had a lot of wrestling experience in high school, and have also researched greek and russian styles of wrestiling and practiced and honed my skills of wrestling at home. After about a week, my instructor pit me against a brown belt who was about to recieve his 1st degree black belt. Why he did this??? I dont know. Keep in mind this is a very tough instuctor so a brown belt in his class is very skilled. He was about my age and my weight, (i might have been just a little heavier). Have you ever felt a Side kick in FULL contact sparring?! Even with the gear, it hurts, bad!!! Have you ever felt it multiple times??!! I guarantee you that you have a lot to be afraid of when fighting a martial artist. And I have never felt such pain in my entire life.

BUT...... somthing else happened. Using what I've learned from wrestling, I grappled him and put him into a lock in a way where he could barely move his body, then I put pressure on his arm in such a way where i could break it if i wanted to, i learned this from wrestling. My point, without hardly any tae-kwon-do experience I successfully defeated a very skilled martial artist. My instuctor got so mad at me for using what he considered a barbaric technique (y? cause it doesnt look pretty?), and told me never to fight like that again.

There is no doubt in my mind that martial artists are very very dangerous, but they arent invlunerable. Am I more afraid of a martial artist then a street fighter?? I dont know. Many of you probably dont consider wrestling a martial art, so ill just pretend it is not, and say that it is possible to defeat a martial artist without martial arts. And that a street fighter is just as dangerous.

(ps. i am still taking tae-kwon-do in the same class)

OP
K

KenpoDragon

You said it yourself, you had prior wrestling training. Even though some people may not view wrestling as a martial art, I do. Wrestling teaches throws, hold downs, or pins, and some locks. This is similar to Jujutsu or Hapkido, or Judo. Although a watered down version, still effective against some styles. If you care to research the true backrounds of wrestling you will find some interesting stuff. Wrestling may very well be the oldest of the martial arts. After all even a kid with no training, can still tackle you and try and put you on your back. Trust me, my niece does it all the time to me, she starts to run at me from about 10 feet away and just slams into me. Doesn't put me down, because I'm a lot bigger than her, but it probably would put a kid her size down. Wrestling use to be a very vicious art, many opponent's would end up crippled or dead. Do some research and you'll have a better idea of what I mean.

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by bob919
the other guy could be blinded for life over a drunken brawl, your friend was too vicsious his life was hardly in danger but digging a thumb into an eyeball is one of those hings that should only be used if your life is in danger which his was not

Well, the real Bullshido(tm) answer would be of course, that eye gouging doesn't work at all and that this never happened because eye gouging doesn't ever work. ;)

(I don't beleive this personally, but I can't resist poking fun at the questionable power of the MMA fanboy's unshakable circular reasoning.)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
this thread was meant as a reply to "Less worryed to fight martial artist then street fighter. ", i clicked the wrong button...please disable this admins. thanks

Threads merged.

-Arnisador
-MT Admin-

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by believer
let me tell you guys this story and hopefully it will clear things up. Many of you will probably not believe my story, because you think that just because you are martial artists you can defeat anybody in a fist fight. But, i will say my story anyway and it is VERY, VERY true.

Im just starting college and have recently been interested in
tae-kwon-do. Ive just started a month ago. My instructor is a man from Korea who is considered probably the best instuctor in my region. You do not wanna mess with this guy!!!! In this class we do FULL contact sparring. My instructor has kind of has a sick way of pitting the higher ranked people against a lower ranked person such as me (still white belt).

Before tae-kwon-do I had a lot of wrestling experience in high school, and have also researched greek and russian styles of wrestiling and practiced and honed my skills of wrestling at home. After about a week, my instructor pit me against a brown belt who was about to recieve his 1st degree black belt. Why he did this??? I dont know. Keep in mind this is a very tough instuctor so a brown belt in his class is very skilled. He was about my age and my weight, (i might have been just a little heavier). Have you ever felt a Side kick in FULL contact sparring?! Even with the gear, it hurts, bad!!! Have you ever felt it multiple times??!! I guarantee you that you have a lot to be afraid of when fighting a martial artist. And I have never felt such pain in my entire life.

BUT...... somthing else happened. Using what I've learned from wrestling, I grappled him and put him into a lock in a way where he could barely move his body, then I put pressure on his arm in such a way where i could break it if i wanted to, i learned this from wrestling. My point, without hardly any tae-kwon-do experience I successfully defeated a very skilled martial artist. My instuctor got so mad at me for using what he considered a barbaric technique (y? cause it doesnt look pretty?), and told me never to fight like that again.

There is no doubt in my mind that martial artists are very very dangerous, but they arent invlunerable. Am I more afraid of a martial artist then a street fighter?? I dont know. Many of you probably dont consider wrestling a martial art, so ill just pretend it is not, and say that it is possible to defeat a martial artist without martial arts. And that a street fighter is just as dangerous.

(ps. i am still taking tae-kwon-do in the same class)
Whoever said wrestling wasn't a martial art needs to get his head knocked in.

ROFL at the "didn't look pretty", I've seen a lot of instructors like that. However, my instructors had no pity when they put people in choke holds and submission moves, and that was TKD.

OP
J

J-kid

I believe that you could proble take your instructer with wrestling.

Who cares if its pritty or not just as long as it get the job done.

OP
S

soccer50

From the replys to my post, I just realized I misunderstood the original thread. I thought Judo-Kid was refering to a MA match with rules as opposed to all out street fighting. As for the techniques, I was refering to the if/then techniques. Not Kicking or punching techniques.

OP
B

believer

l've just recently been interested in Asian Martial Arts. I dont know much about Eastern Wrestling, most wrestling I learned is of the West (mostly studied ones of Greek, German, or slavic Origins, high school wrestling i believe is a fusion of many western wrestling styles, i could be wrong), is it just as old as kungfu?? Can someone tell me the difference between eastern and western wrestling???

as for defeating my instructor, i seriously doubt i can. he is much older and very skilled in his art

Latest Discussions