Less worryed to fight martial artist then street fighter.

J

J-kid

I personal find it easyer to fighter a Martial Artist then A street punk most of the time.

I mean even though i could destroy the street punk faster *i mean Fast* you never have any idea what they might do and if you will end up seriously hurting them or there crazy flaling will get you.

Where if i find out someone is a martial artist i have a pritty good idea on what to expect infact i find that there are so many bad schools that you end up fighting some joker whos been mind washed and fights like a fool droping there hands chambering there punchs using horse stance and using blocks to no effect.

Dos anyone else feel this way from time to time.
:samurai:

OP
K

KenpoDragon

Judo-kid, but I worry more about guys like me with a lot of training and street fighting experience. Those are the REAL dangerous guys out there, the guys that know what to do, and what not to do. I don't worry too much about Joe Blow out there with no martial arts training, because most of the time they have no idea how to fight. At least guys that train in martial arts have some idea of what might happen in a fight. Just my opinion though.

:asian:

OP
J

J-kid

That is true, but i can almost expect what the martial artist *knowing there style* a little of there game plan not only can you get in there head but you know there weakness as well.

OP
K

KenpoDragon

Originally posted by Judo-kid
That is true, but i can almost expect what the martial artist *knowing there style* a little of there game plan not only can you get in there head but you know there weakness as well.
Are you talking about tournament sparring??? I thought you were talking about street fighting. When I get in a fight I don't say,"What's your style???" like in Enter the Dragon, I also don't tell people that I have black belts in this style, and in that style,etc.etc. Are you psychic Judo-kid??? How do you get all of this knowledge before a fight??? You must be a X-Man huh???? Just messing with you, hehehe!!!

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
How is it you are able to "destroy" someone so quickly? What methods do you use that are so much different from anyone else?

If you are counting some of the local folks (i.e. Temple Kung Fu, most of the TKD folks, etc.) in your list of martial artists that you are able to "destroy" so quickly, I'd hesitate to announce that since it doesn't really make you all that impressive... My son is only 7, and I've seen some local folks that he could probably teach a thing or two to...

As for the comment about horse riding stances, punching while withdrawing the non-striking hand, and blocking, remember that your experience with traditional arts is limited to the low quality mini-mall dojos that we all revile...

Again, if you want to see what those traditional methods are really used for, just let me know...

Gambarimasu.

OP
J

J-kid

To kenpodragon
Well i get a pritty good idea what style of a fighter he is pritty fast before and during the fight.
Sometimes i try to play mind games before the fight with them as they will proble do with me (exchanging insaults and then saying why one will win blah blah blah).

To Yiliquan
LOL temple Kungfu (another joke)

anyhow are training may be diffrent but at least we both have a sense of humor.

OP
K

KanoLives

Aren't we as martial artist not supposed to fight each other regardless of what style we study? Isn't there supposed to be a respect thing? I know I don't go lookin to fight and if you study a martial art I don't think you should be looking to fight either. :shrug: If 2 martial artist were ready to fight shouldn't they be trying to avoid the fight in the first place? :confused: :confused:

OP
M

MartialArtist

I personal find it easyer to fighter a Martial Artist then A street punk most of the time.

I mean even though i could destroy the street punk faster *i mean Fast* you never have any idea what they might do and if you will end up seriously hurting them or there crazy flaling will get you.

Where if i find out someone is a martial artist i have a pritty good idea on what to expect infact i find that there are so many bad schools that you end up fighting some joker whos been mind washed and fights like a fool droping there hands chambering there punchs using horse stance and using blocks to no effect.

Agreed!

Bad schools - :rofl:

I do find it easier to fight a martial artist than a street fighter most of the time. I'm not talking about the good martial artists, but the 2-day-a-week training badass with a black belt and deep pockets. With the common thug, yes, a lot of the times, it's easier to defend yourself if you got in a controlled fight, but there are too many unpredictable factors that might happen. Aluminum bats are one of them. Knives. Etc. That's why I avoid fights WHENEVER possible. I walk away. People really need to learn how to swallow their pride and walk away, as most fights in the world aren't self-defense situations, but over something stupid. Anyway, I carry a handgun. If I were 18 again, and in high school, I would've fought every person who pissed me off, and that's what I did when I was 18, that was my mindset. Bringing a weapon to a fist fight? That's cowardly. But a schoolyard fight is different on the streets, you never know what you are getting yourself into. I can't take the risk of fighting hand-to-hand and something radical happening when MY life and others are at stake. Just like how I won't trust my life with a car where the brakes work 99% of the time, I won't take any risks.

OP
M

MartialArtist

I understand what judo-kid is trying to say. He isn't talking about traditional martial artists, but how some people from commercialized schools think that some of the things they do during training is for combat purposes, not realizing they were meant for different purposes.

Like someone who busts out a 1020 spinning aerial spin kick during a street fight, not knowing the only reason they are practiced by some is for balance, flexibility, agility, speed, coordination, etc. and not for a KO move. Of course, any good TMAist or MMAist knows that a 1020 kick wasn't intended to be used for self-defense purposes.

---------------------------------------------

And yes, I would rather defend myself against a watered-down martial artist than a thug. If it were a hand-to-hand combat situation, I would rather fight a thug than a very experienced martial artist. However, on the street, the word hand-to-hand combat doesn't exist. A real martial artist would know when to stop, know what's right and wrong, etc. A thug however, has no remorse, and would do anything to hurt/kill you.

The difference in mentality between a martial artist and a thug are totally different. Yes, both would do anything they can to win. However, "win" is a relative term. The definition of win for a martial artist would be successfully defending himself/herself and others who are in peril. Maiming or killing a person is something that might resukt in the process of defending yourself. A martial artist wouldn't kick a person who's down and can't move and snap his neck like in the Segal movies, as you have already met your goal yet go on to do something more. "Win" for a thug might very well be to kill you.

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by ChineseKempoAL
Aren't we as martial artist not supposed to fight each other regardless of what style we study? Isn't there supposed to be a respect thing? I know I don't go lookin to fight and if you study a martial art I don't think you should be looking to fight either. :shrug: If 2 martial artist were ready to fight shouldn't they be trying to avoid the fight in the first place? :confused: :confused:
Yes, two real martial artists wouldn't get into a fight. Unfortunately, there are people who call themselves martial artists who fight every chance they get :cough: :cough:

Then there are others like me who have a very big mouth. But I do avoid fights whenever possible. I never fight for reasons of ego or of arrogance. But on the other side of the coin, there are people who throw a punch whenever they get mad and call themselves MAists.

Judo-kid, if a word ends with "y", most of the time, you take the "y" out and add "ied"

OP
J

Jill666

If I can run, I'll run. If I can strike to the throat, eyes, groin or bite, I will. Then I'll run. If someone tries to take me on the street, my plan is simple. Fight fast and dirty, and get the hell away. Call 911. Period.

My training partner was recently attacked by a drunk guy- hell they were both drunk. The guy hit him by surprize with a head-butt, then locked up with him. My friend, a wrestler, ex-marine, bb kenpoist didn't try to out fight him. He dug a thumb in the guy's eyeball, then went home. In the morning he filed a police report.

As far as I'm concerned, he handled himself perfectly- with the exception of being piss-drunk and letting someone surprise him like that.

No matter who attacks, trained or untrained, I'm not gonna try to go toe-to-toe, or figure out his game plan, and test my skills as a fighter. That's complete BS. :shrug:

OP
C

chufeng

Anyone who attacks a limping, fat, old, balding guy like me, deserves to get his *** handed to him...and I won't announce ahead of time how I'm gonna do it...fortunately, I haven't had to go there...with age comes the ability to recognize and avoid certain situations.

chufeng

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Don't generalize nor assume too much.

OP
J

J-kid

I think martial artist is understand what i am trying to say the most.

:cool:

OP
M

MartialArtist

Judo-kid does have some prejudice against TMAists, mostly because he has never seen any good TMAists although there are a lot of them out there, you just got to know where you have to look.

Judo-kid specifically stated about the BAD TMA schools where people don't teach you how to defend yourself but ONLY doing horse stances and forms.

Forms aren't bad. When used correctly, can be a good tool. The horse stance is also a good training tool. But to only practice those would be dangerous.

Same thing applies to MMA, I have also seen a ton of BAD MMA schools out there. They think by attaching "Gracie" or "Vale Tudo" or "Shoto" to their club means something, and all they teach is how to do some basic grappling sets. No teachings on set-ups, no teachings on the principles of submissions and the general idea behind all of them. Just one or two chokes, some basic elementary wrestling moves that a five year old can do, and lots of cash.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think martial artist is understand what i am trying to say the most.

No, actually, I really do understand what you are trying to say, but I have a reason for attempting to draw specific details out of you... I'm not setting you up for ambush nor failure, nor will I hang you with your own words. I'll save that for other folks at later times... :D

Since you have had only minimal training with good TMA traditions, and since your schedule and personal situations have prevented you from visiting us, the next best thing is MT.

So, again, in what particulars (beyond horse stance and retracting the non-striking hand) do you feel TMA training is not conducive to good fighting technique? Please compare and contrast against the training you have had...

Gambarimasu.

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Many of the replies that I read threw out terms like 'street punk' and 'street thug' in a fashion that sounded reminiscent of the low level baddies in a comic book: weak, ineffective, obvious, dull, slow, telegraphing etc. The reality is that many people who might be termed 'street fighters' live in a reality where violence is commonplace and fighting is a legitimate way to settle a grievance. When people survive for any length of time in such such surroundings, they tend to become efficient, tough fighters with a repetoire of albeit simple but effective methods and plenty of dirty tricks. Don't denigrate or underestimate the street fighter. Don't believe the myth of the slobbering drunk whose momentum might knock them down before you can unleash martial fury on them. Don't believe that just because someone may not have had formal training, that they can't be a formidible opponent. Many fine martial artists have come from the ranks of 'street fighters'.

:jediduel:

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think some definition of what constitutes "street fighting" would be appropriate...

If a person whose daily life depends on their ability to make use of personal combat to survive, then certainly they will develop a level of skill - or not. In the latter case, they simply aren't around anymore to worry about it.

However, I think the innate difference between "street fighting" and martial arts is the amount of dirty tricks in a person's arsenal, and the amount of repetition of techniques, and the amount of training put into developing fighting techniques.

At some point the person goes beyond fighting simply for survival's sake and moves from that category into fighting for the development of skill.

Gambarimasu.

OP
S

sweeper

as too "martial artists" who think they are good but are not.. there seem to be quite a few.

Most of my freinds have spent a couple years training in smoe martial art or other, and now and then I end up sparring with one of them.. genneraly they realy don't know what they are doing. I mean it's not like I'm an expert, but I think alot of people out there do have a falce sence of security based on a couple of years of karate practice.

Latest Discussions