Devastating Jab counter

flashlock

Banned Troll
Reaction score
I just wanted to share a simple technique that is relatively rare, that everyone might have some use for.

It's for use against straight punches (non-hooks), like jabs, rear cross, or straight lead, and comes from the Filipino / JKD world (I believe this particular interpretation is from Paul Vunak).

First, you keep your guard up higher, palms out like a thai kick boxer.

As the straight punch comes at you, hop or shuffle back a little. Then make a "comb your own hair motion", so your elbow points at the opponent's on-coming fist.

Basically, with your backward motion, your elbow is where you nose once was--so your opponent smashes his fist against your elbow.

Now, if worse comes to worse, the fist just skips off harmlessly, either way, you hopped back and are out of range.

I find that about 1 out of 5 attempts actually meet the fist in a position that would shatter the opponent's hand(please have the attacker ["feeder"] wear thick boxing gloves, he will still feel the effects of the elbow).

This is a very fast motion, and can stop even the quickest jab (I even tested this against a former Olympian boxer with positive results).

Give it a try! (And please share any little techniques you might find interesting!)

cubankenpo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
thats not bad and when u train a lot u can do it fast and its sure , but u can study a little boxing , in it u can use different kind of blocks which u can adapt to u and they are easy and practice to do , remember that u can practice any Art but u need to see and study other different things , such as ,boxing, jiut j., wrestling, tae kwon do, filipines combats Arts (they are good) and so on,the more you see and study, the more u undrstand the way of fight, and the more u adapt things to u
chao bro
Joe
good luck

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sounds interesting, I must try that in sparring tonight.... :uhyeah:

I'll try it against the guy that gets a bit carried away :2xbird:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, I agree, it is a great destruction. I've also seen this done with a parry to the punching arm, redirecting it into an inward elbow.

Mike

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It is a great limb destruction technique.
icon14.gif

BallistikMike

Green Belt
Reaction score
It is a limb destruction that works like a charm.

However be aware that if you are using boxing gloves, training or competition sets, that it does make it seem like you catch the fist a lot more then you actually would.

If you can, try tapping your hands up like a boxer/MMA fighter and use a 4oz glove. It will move closer to a street encounter and still protect the hand. That big 16oz sparring glove definitely gives a false sense of success.

Also remember limb destructions don't actually "Destroy" the hand most of the time. Vary rarely will it break the hand, cause pain and have the dude second guess himself throwing that shot yes. Of course that shouldn't matter in a street situation you would be fighting for your life so you should have already moved on to other nastiness by then.

Everything has what ifs and possibilities I just wanted to point out a few here.

kempo-vjj

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You can parry this punch as well down to a knee strike to the hand. Effects are a little more devastating but trickier to pull off.

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like this one as well. Easy to do and fast.

If you're the guy throwing the jab, your timing is off if this is available to your opponent. Also, check to see how much you're telegraphing the punch.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, This technique of using your elbows to block a fist has been around for ages.

It is very effective if you can catch the punch with your elbows. Most likely the other person will break something in their hand or cause enough damage from using that fist again.

Alot of martial art classes are usually not taught this technique, because of traditions and traditional ways.

Thank-you for sharing this with all of us.........Aloha

OP
flashlock

flashlock

Banned Troll
Reaction score
Sounds interesting, I must try that in sparring tonight.... :uhyeah:

I'll try it against the guy that gets a bit carried away :2xbird:

Great! But please make sure he is wearing heavy boxing gloves, or you could break his hand quite easily!!!

OP
flashlock

flashlock

Banned Troll
Reaction score
It is a limb destruction that works like a charm.

However be aware that if you are using boxing gloves, training or competition sets, that it does make it seem like you catch the fist a lot more then you actually would.

If you can, try tapping your hands up like a boxer/MMA fighter and use a 4oz glove. It will move closer to a street encounter and still protect the hand. That big 16oz sparring glove definitely gives a false sense of success.

Also remember limb destructions don't actually "Destroy" the hand most of the time. Vary rarely will it break the hand, cause pain and have the dude second guess himself throwing that shot yes. Of course that shouldn't matter in a street situation you would be fighting for your life so you should have already moved on to other nastiness by then.

Everything has what ifs and possibilities I just wanted to point out a few here.

Yes! Great points (and I know they're true from experience...)

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's the fight stopper you wish you had had in 8-12th grade: "Teacher, I wasn't fighting! He hurt himself punching my elbow! Ask the witnesses".

BallistikMike

Green Belt
Reaction score
The hand will not break as easily as some may be saying.

Most of the time a glancing blow will occur and it will slip off deflecting outside your center line or inside/across your center line. Yes still causing pain and possibly second thoughts of throwing that shot full power at you again.

In essence it does destroy the limb...more like shot. Its similar to a wide receiver taking a huge hit over the middle, he will have a hard time doing it again knowing what is coming.

Please do not trust instructors or people saying it works... ever. Test it yourself. Cause pain to each other (NOT injury) to understand what is needed for it to be effective. This is where athletics, resisting opponent's and dare I say MMA type of training comes in handy. You will see just how hard it is to pull off and you will then learn how to pull of this destruction in real time under real conditions.

I call it a cover block (US Modern combatives call it a rhino block) makes sense impaling the limbs on the horn of the elbow. Its also quite effective when it hits the inside of the arm/bicep and really gets you inside.

Like I said before huge what ifs and what nots in all of this.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most of the time a glancing blow will occur and it will slip off deflecting outside your center line or inside/across your center line.
This is where directing the incoming punch in with a parry into the elbow can help a great deal. I use this type of a limb destruction, but in a slightly different way than explained. What I'll do is actually attack the shot, essentially elbow striking the fist while directing the incoming punch with the parry. It reduces the targetting uncertainty, while allowing you to enter.

BallistikMike

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is where directing the incoming punch in with a parry into the elbow can help a great deal. I use this type of a limb destruction, but in a slightly different way than explained. What I'll do is actually attack the shot, essentially elbow striking the fist while directing the incoming punch with the parry. It reduces the targetting uncertainty, while allowing you to enter.

Drilling against a compliant opponent this is very possible. Even more so if the hands are slowed down do to lack of intent and heavy training gloves.

However under athletic conditions and surprise real life self-defense situations it is virtually impossible.

I understand where you are coming from guiding the punch to your elbow or meeting and greeting the hand with your elbow.

It just doesn't happen under live conditions.

Most trained fighters understand to retract the jab or punch, bad guys just dont care and will flail haymakers at your head. In which case because both your hands are tied up trying to destroy a hand that isn't even there (except in your training which is why you believe you can do this) the other hand is cleaning the cob webs inside your skull.

People need to understand when someone says they have used it, it was pulled off in training or drill work or sparring. It very rarely was pulled off under high stress conditons. Of course people will say that they did it to so and so bad guy and there is no proof.

Breaking someones hand doesnt stop the threat either. Broken hands aren't even noticed until your home and the adrenaline has worn off. That needs to be taken into consideration.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
People need to understand when someone says they have used it, it was pulled off in training or drill work or sparring. It very rarely was pulled off under high stress conditons. Of course people will say that they did it to so and so bad guy and there is no proof.
Ah, I see. You want to debate on the merits of testability.

Considering that there is no responsible way to test a technique under conditions more dangerous than a spar, I'll simply have to concede your point that I've never managed to execute the technique while someone was trying to kill me. See, nobody's ever tried to kill me. How 'bout you?

At any rate, you will fight how you train, yes? I don't think that I'll be abandoning techniques that work for me under live sparring conditions because you've decided that they don't work for you. Extrapolating your unverified results out to apply to me is illogical.

So, though I appreciate your feedback, please attempt to refrain from insinuating that I lack the ability to test methodologies on my own. I consider it insulting and unnecessary.

And yes, I understand the difference between a compliant and non-compliant training partner. Thanks, though.

MattJ

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Some related video -

(first part of the second video)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions