100% use of power to punch?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Someone pointed out to get 100% power to your punches, as you move your fist out, the heel of your foot starts to lift,the hips turns and, as the elbows push the fist hand out to tarket.

3 parts here: heel lifts, hips turns, elbow push fist out. approx 1/3 of your power come from each part.

Does this make sense? Try only throwing punches without the other 2 parts, then try with all 3 parts in motion.

Most schools always talks about how power comes from the hips (turn hips) for punches and kicks.

Want more power? ...STUDY THIS... it seems to work for us...Aloha

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its different philosophies basically. Many styles use the "boxer heel lift" to generate power while others (most CMA styles) do not encourage lifting of the heel which could in turn uproot your own center of balance.

7sm

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
I love punching, to me there is nothing more fulfilling than feeling my knuckles connect with my target. I know I have other weapons as well, but I find the science behind punching the most interesting.

I learned how to throw the jab in three steps:

Phase 1. Practice it while taking a short step forward (only the lead leg moves: 1-2 inch max. Move too far and you'll have to move the back leg to stay in form). This step makes your body familliar with the dynamics of shifting the weight forward.

Phase 2. Cont. from jabbing while stepping - concentrate on coordinating twisting your hips into your target as your arm extends out. The trick is to find the right amount of hip twist so that you don't over extend the punch (be too open) and be able to pull it back into position (block/reset) right away. Also keep the other hand up to defend your head.

Phase 3. No more stepping. Since your body is familliar with weight shifting you should be able to generate the same momentum by using your legs to twist your hips and throw the punch. Don't rush to get to this point. Never rush, when your body is used to shifting weight and generating momentum from body memory you'll know.

From my experience I was taught 2 forms of jabs. One is thrown by quickly flicking the arm (very fast jabs but weak) to set up stronger attacks. The other is simillar to a cross, where you bring your elbows up and across - a bit slower but is able to knock somebody out. Depending on the situation one is better than the other. I suggest practicing both so that you have more tools to work with. I find the fast jabs work well in the early rounds/short combat while the slower stronger jabs works in the latter end of a fight (when you are tired and looking for that one KO punch).

I think everybody is different and the hard part is finding the right form of punching method for your body type. In the end I practiced throwing nothing but jabs 2 hrs a day, 4-5 days a week for 6 months on the heavy bag until I was comfortable with it. I must stress that it is very important for a coach/teacher to watch you for the first few weeks to make sure you are practicing the correct thing. Nothing worse than practicing the wrong thing. Bad habits are difficult to unlearn.

*note: I find that I do not need to go on my toes for jabs. Doing so slows down my arm retraction time. The split second it takes to reset my foot is long enough for somebody to set up a hook counter.

I must warn you that training to punch very hard can and will most likely break your hand if you are not ready for it. Wear wraps to protect your wrists and gloves to protect your knuckles. Unless you are planning on fighting for a living then by all means go hardcore.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Legs are important but we must remember you punch with your arm; so, paying attention to your upper body is every bit as important if not more so.
Sean

MRE

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think everyone is looking for more power, and rightfully so. We all want our fights/matches/altercations to end as quickly as possible. However, early on in my boxing days, I tried to make sure that every punch was thrown hard enough to end the fight. The result was a low contact percentage, very little combos, and me getting outscored by my opponent. After my first match, my coach pulled me on the side and made me throw two precision punches before every power shot to make sure that I set the opponent up. This made a huge difference in my effectiveness. The precision punches (jabs, crosses at 70% power, etc.) were quicker than the power shots and allowed me to score more and keep the opponent off balance before throwing the bomb. The funny thing was, I got more knock outs from the precision punches than from the bombs. A jab thrown crisply, even the quick jabs that king posted, can knock someone out, especially when the gloves are off.

So again power is great, but I think we should always be cognizant of our precision and speed.

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
MRE said:
I think everyone is looking for more power, and rightfully so. We all want our fights/matches/altercations to end as quickly as possible. However, early on in my boxing days, I tried to make sure that every punch was thrown hard enough to end the fight. The result was a low contact percentage, very little combos, and me getting outscored by my opponent. After my first match, my coach pulled me on the side and made me throw two precision punches before every power shot to make sure that I set the opponent up. This made a huge difference in my effectiveness. The precision punches (jabs, crosses at 70% power, etc.) were quicker than the power shots and allowed me to score more and keep the opponent off balance before throwing the bomb. The funny thing was, I got more knock outs from the precision punches than from the bombs. A jab thrown crisply, even the quick jabs that king posted, can knock someone out, especially when the gloves are off.

So again power is great, but I think we should always be cognizant of our precision and speed.

Hello, Good point!! ...there are a purpose for the jabs...then the power punches....also hitting in right places do not always require full power...just enough!

Lots of people train to hit only with there upper body....purpose here is to beware of the whole body going into the strikes. ....Aloha

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I teach to punch with the legs and hips keep the heel flat and snapping the punch right at the point of impact. Keeping everything relaxed also to the point of impact. I have broke patio block from a inch away using this method.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's important to examine the technique (actually, every technique) with respect to physics and kinesiology.

In the internal kung-fu systems, power is driven up from the (soles of) feet and the rearmost foot is kept flat on the ground. In a reverse punch (which is the basic bengchuan of Xingyichuan) the hips are turned no more than 45 degrees. A turn of more than that results in more of a "pushing" action than generating sharply focused shock.

The spine- lumbar, thoracic, and cervical parts - is kept straight (but not stiff) with the chest slightly collapsed. This helps "round out" the upper back in what's called bear's shoulders. The punching elbow should point down.

Brandon Fisher

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
pstarr said:
It's important to examine the technique (actually, every technique) with respect to physics and kinesiology.

In the internal kung-fu systems, power is driven up from the (soles of) feet and the rearmost foot is kept flat on the ground. In a reverse punch (which is the basic bengchuan of Xingyichuan) the hips are turned no more than 45 degrees. A turn of more than that results in more of a "pushing" action than generating sharply focused shock.

The spine- lumbar, thoracic, and cervical parts - is kept straight (but not stiff) with the chest slightly collapsed. This helps "round out" the upper back in what's called bear's shoulders. The punching elbow should point down.
Similar to the Okinawan Karate-Do style of punching in particular with a reverse punch.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In reverse breathing, the abdomen contracts slightly during inhalation and then when you exhale, the abdomen is expanded. Thus, the name. Actually, it should feel as though your whole lower torso is expanding (on the sides and lower back as well as the abdomen) when you exhale.

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, It will take a life time to master just one punch/technique using all the proper muscles, breathing,proper movement and so on..plus knowing which muscles to relax and when....for maximum power. Try doing this is a real confrontation?

Anyone can punch hard...to do it the martial arts way....That is why Kata's are good....every turn,every step..needs to be done with proper breathing/speed/relaxation/power/steps/balance....Every time! Too bad there is NO way to measure oneself for each step of the Kata's or sparing times..

How can one measure breathing/which mucsles to relax/tighten? It is like when you hit a baseball (homerun hit)...it seems to be no effort to it...

Same for golfing when you get that special shot that seems to fly forever...you hit it with all the proper steps.....Hard to do everytime....

Just my thoughts on this.......Sometimes I get "punchee".....Aloha

wowzer77

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I heard if you punch with your elbow close to the center of your body and don't put any hip or leg momentum into your punch, just extend your arm quickly from next to your face into a downward arc and then into the target, it will be more effective. First because it is faster, also, whatever you hit there is going to be an opposite equal reaction, so since your elbow is towards the center of your body the shock from whatever you hit will go through your arm to the center of your body where there is a lot of support. This makes your punch not slow down as much when you hit the target..this is how they punch in Wing Chun I think, and it sounds like it would work, but I also read that this takes a longer time to master than a normal punch and doesn't hurt quite as bad. Still can probably knock someone out. I personally am still sticking to punches with your hips and leg momentum involved, but when I start taking Wing Chun classes I may change my ways.

Latest Discussions