Eye jabs - an evil move?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Marginal said:
You're right. Best to carry a gun and shoot anyone who bumps into you. Anything less decays into a morass of situational relativism. If you're not willing to shoot someone in the head for a dirty look, then you're not willing to do anything at all. Ever.

Hello, Good idea..the world is too crowded....this may help....

In the martial arts...your judgement of the use of techniques to use..will be your choice to end the confrontations/the fight.

We are taught several levels of use: Not to hurt,but stop or end the fight quickly, two may need more damages (vitals)to attacker, three take it all the way (kill). In our Kempo - escape,control,or destroy methods is the terms we use to discribe the degrees of attack. Some people may need more than others here....

Eye attacks...do work..it will not blind you..just the other guy for awhile...same as striking to body...intent is not to kill? ..just hurt them..

rakes,poke, is one thing...gouges/takeing the eye out..something else here?

I heard stories of American soldiers(Vietnam) who capture the "enemy" and would remove one eye to make them talk...Use thumb scoop from nose side,dig and pull out. Most do talk after this...if they do not..then removing the other eye will not work.

On the human body...taking their eyes out of the fight...(rakes,pokes)...will give you more advantages than any other part...most people will see this ......Aloha

S

Spider

At my karite school Unlimited Success Martial Arts in Allen, Texas we do if they have glasses you do a tiger claw and then you pok the guy or girls eye balls out and if they don't have glasses then you pok there eye balls out.

The advice,
Spider

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, There are many ways to use the hands for raking? ..the tiger claws (fingers in a-circle), the dragon claws (fingers more in a half-moon shape-fingers up side and thumb down side ...the two finger rake,, Ed Parker is seen in most of his pictures. (index and middle fingers) raking sideways,back and forth and very fast.

Study this.... ..watch out for people with long nails...color ones too...Elbows in the eye sockets..UM? ...Aloha

OP
T

thescottishdude

Orange Belt
Reaction score
the tiger claw is better used for ttacking the bones between your shoulders and your eck to hit and then grip and snap them. That's much more effective than raking which may or may not work anyway. And makes you look like a big girl to onlookers :)

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
thescottishdude said:
the tiger claw is better used for ttacking the bones between your shoulders and your eck to hit and then grip and snap them. That's much more effective than raking which may or may not work anyway. And makes you look like a big girl to onlookers :)

Hello, I rather BITE the neck instead....and still rake the eyes...just playing here....Aloha ...(do you mean collar bone?)

Ross

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I think that everyone has really covered the point but it does open up some interesting questions - mainly, what is considered excessive force?

I dont know about some of you guys, but poking someone's eye out (for example) will result in me being put into prison on the grounds of GBH or ABH.

What I'm saying is that every action that you do will have a consequence. Not just on yourself but your family, friends and lives. We all train for the moment, but how many of us really and truthfully would be happy if one stupid attack by someone resulted you looking up after "defending yourself" and there is a mangled body lying dead in front of you? Someone throwing a drunken punch at you and you blind them for life? I'm not sure I could live with that.

Also, the reason why we all train in martial arts is so that we dont have to resort to such a neanderthal technique. Any one can strike to the eye without any training, a trained martial artist shouldn't have to rely on this sledgehammer approach. I would agree that in a rape situation it could possibly be justified but this attack to a very soft tissue is an extreme last resort. However, I might also point out that to try and teach someone (for example in a self defense class), to physically push your fingers into someone's eyes is easier said than done.

Every one is very quick to say "I'd do this and that to someone if they tried it on with me". But I would suggest that you think about the consequences of your actions before you are in that situation. And that begins in the dojo.

fightingfat

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think eye strikes might be seen as more acceptable for a woman to use against an aggressive male. As a bloke, it has to be a last resort!

Zoran

Black Belt
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
thescottishdude said:

Looks like we got to the core of why you may think eye jabs a evil. :rofl:

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, When one cannot see....the other person will have the advantage.

Eye jabs are not evil ...just another technique...you do not have to remove the eyes or destroy them. Jab to blind them temporarily.

All martial arts techniques can be consider evil? ...purpose is to hurt the other person or end his time with us. Joint locks hurts too.

Seeing is believing...when you SEE the chance...strike the eyes...and SEE how it works...later you will SEE the results..and SEE, I told you.

"What did one eye say to the other eye?" between you and me...something smells!

See's candies are my flavorites...Aloha

PS: Some people will not SEE this as we do? That is OK...

bobster_ice

Black Belt
Reaction score
thescottishdude said:
I noticed that alot of martial artists must not have any principles when it comes to learning and using eye jabs.

In my opinion, you should never use eye jabs, EVER! They're completely evil. You've taken a fist fight and elevated it to a point where you and your competitor and now liable to blind each other and cause massive damage for life. Whereas before the loser would just get a few bruises and abit of a kicking.

I'm not against the teaching of them, as they are a part of martial arts. I just don't think anyone should condone or hype up their use in fights (unlike the last martial arts nesletter I just read).

Anyone else agree? Surely you should never do something like that in a fist fight unless your attacker has a kinfe or a gun and you get an oppertunity?

I disagree as there is only one rule to fighting...That is, there are no rules. If somebody tried to hurt me with a knife or gun I would try and take it of them, and use it against them, it is called self defense, isnt it?

ginshun

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Your responce has to be equivalent to the threat, but that is all. There is nothing evil about poking or gouging the eyes if the situation calls for that level of responce.

If I am trying to subdue a drunken friend at a party, gouging his eyes out is probably not the best way to go about it.

If some guy in a dark alley jumps me, anything goes.

I'm a pretty level headed guy, and I am not one to get into "simple fist fights" whatever that is, so I pretty much figure that if the situation has escalated to the point where its a actual physical brawl, I will probbaly feel justified dishing out a poke to the eyes or a punch / kick to the groin / throat / whatever.

Latest Discussions