Reflecting The Elbow.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Doing reflex training against random arm attacks can be a daunting task , what with all the variations in angles and trajectories that are possible for the opponent to choose to strike you with.

Picking the correct technique for maximum resistance against the opponents angle of attack whether it be circular or straight , on the centreline or off the centreline is an absolute must if the structure is not to collapse on impact .

We are taught this correct arm positioning in Chi Sau , to automatically have the best arm structure in place to to deal with the direction and type of force we are facing at the time.

We apply this aspect of Chi sau skill when we are in contact range , so it follows we must also apply the same skill when we are out of contact range.

We can make the process of choosing which structure to have in place to best confront the opponents random strikes by using a concept which simplifies the whole situation.

We call this concept " Mirroring the elbow " or " Reflecting the elbow " all it means is that I must match the position of the opponents elbow as his strike comes in.

Advanced students of Wing Chun will do this naturally without thinking , but for relative beginners it can help to keep an eye on the position of the opponents elbows just as he initiates a strike. When I say keep an eye I mean use peripheral vision not fixate on his elbows to the exclusion of everything else.

If his elbow is tucked in when he throws the strike there is a good chance that it will be a straight punch , so I match his elbow position and use a Tan sau to deflect.

For him to throw a circular strike his elbow must come out , so we match that elbow position with our own appropriate structure , in our lineage we tend to use a Dai sau this could best be described as something halfway between a Tan Sau and a Bong Sau but with the hand and forearm straight and the fingertips on centre instead of the wrist.

This is a very powerful structure for deflecting hooking type punches from the side , but whether you pivot and use a Tan Sau the principle remains the same , match your elbow to the position of his elbow and have your body orientated behind it and you will be in the best position to have maximum resistance against the strike.

If you want to work on this concept more intensively have your partner stand in front of you and throw a straight punch at your face , watch his elbow , reflect his elbow and use the appropriate counter which will be a Tan Sau , then have him throw a circular hooking type punch .
Have him alternate between straight and circular strikes.

Notice how his elbow is out , again reflect his elbow position and begin to get your elbow out , but KEEP your fingertips on the centreline or use the more common Tan Sau and pivot , but make sure your elbow lines up with his and your body is facing the direction of the incoming force.

After a period of time with this type of training you will be able to read the type of incoming strike and get your elbow in the correct position for the strike without any conscious thought at all.

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello mook jong man-I don' know your lineage. The TWC folks talk about watching the elbow.

I guess I do it differently- details can vary with lineage. No problem.There are many ways in doing things.I think that watching the elbow can be slow and unreliable---skilled people can change a punch in mid air and there are so many different kinds of punches possible plus variances in tempo and time.

The elbow is important in the structure of one's own hand motions in the wing chun that I do..

Thanks for sharing your perspective.

joy chaudhuri

OP
mook jong man

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello mook jong man-I don' know your lineage. The TWC folks talk about watching the elbow.

I guess I do it differently- details can vary with lineage. No problem.There are many ways in doing things.I think that watching the elbow can be slow and unreliable---skilled people can change a punch in mid air and there are so many different kinds of punches possible plus variances in tempo and time.

The elbow is important in the structure of one's own hand motions in the wing chun that I do..

Thanks for sharing your perspective.

joy chaudhuri

I am Tsui Seung Tin lineage , I know the William Cheung school advocate watching the elbows to detect the intention of the punch and I don't agree with it at all either.

The reason being that any punch or kick initiated will usually be telegraphed by the shoulders first so that is the area I pay particular attention to as well as the whole body in general as the peripheral vision is a lot quicker at detecting movement than central vision.

But for the purposes of this exercise which is not really about reflex but more about setting your arm up for the best structure possible to deal with the incoming force.

It will help a beginner in the case of slow random arm attacks to take notice of the position of the elbow of the attacking limb and position their elbow accordingly.

It won't take them long to get used to matching the attackers elbow position and after a while it will become second nature and they wont have to pay any attention to it at all .

Its a bit like having training wheels on a bicycle , once you can ride the bike you no longer have any use for the training wheels and throw the training wheels away.

So once they can automatically reflect the elbow with out thinking they can go back too diffusing their attention to take in the wider picture again.

Latest Discussions