Colored lapels on uniforms

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Doess anyone know when this started? and what Kwans it is still done in?

i have seen pics of the 60's, the korean stylist back then were doing it, at least at bb level

does your school do this? for BB or all the way up?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We use the Black collars when you reach B.B.. I do not know when it started but it has always been a part of it since I started TKD back in 1972.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I thought this was a tradition of the Moo Duk Kwan's. They used black trim to distinguish their yudanja uniforms, before later switching to midnight blue once Hwang Kee emigrated to the US(?). It looked sharp so some TKD people follow suit. These days, some TSD schools also have green and red trim for their green and red belts respectively.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've seen it on green/blue red belt doboks, but to be honest (don't laugh now) my first thought has always been, "I bet that's expensive".

OP
Twin Fist

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, i let my students do that if they want to starting at purple, but we wear black, and black and purple? that rocks

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
We only do white for color belts and black for black belts.

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The colored collars idea comes from traditional Korean hanboks.

cdunn

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lapel trim to match the belt is a Moo Duk Kwan tradition, yes. Green lapel trim for green belts, red lapel for the red belts, and full jacket trim in midnight for dan holders.

As for the expense, I paid no more than $20 for custom lapel trim from start to finish, from the local seamstress, and the full jacket trim is sold as a part of our dan uniform, so it's not very troublesome.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the dojang where I used to teach, the TSD program had matching trim/belt basically after yellow or orange (can't quite recall). But it basically meant green belts and red belts had colored trim.

It seems green and red are frequent colors for gueps, but what happens when you get a blue belt (or any color other than green or red)? Do you get a new trim-job on your dobok? In the aforementioned dojang, the instructor did not have other colors after green besides red.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It seems green and red are frequent colors for gueps, but what happens when you get a blue belt (or any color other than green or red)? Do you get a new trim-job on your dobok? In the aforementioned dojang, the instructor did not have other colors after green besides red.

I've seen a few newly minted chodans in my area still wearing their red trim dobaks with a black belt. It clashes very much and offends my meager fashion sense, but I guess the alternative is to buy a new dobak or remove the trim (not sure if there's a made up tradition with that along the lines of 'don't wash your belt').

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
I saw a TSD guy with trim to match his belt (green) at one of our seminars once.

Latest Discussions