Credit testing fees

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
-I don't doubt the fact that these tests are there, in part, to maintain income for our instructor and dojang. To say otherwise would be pure denial. It appears that credit testing is not the norm, at least based on the responses thus far.

I don't have any problems with this. The school owner/instructor is taking a big risk with the school. You still have to pay rents, taxes, payrolls etc. But the school shouldn't hide any extra fees. If students knows everything in advance, then he/she can make decision if the school is right place.

/Markku P.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think if a person doesn't have the stick-to-it-iveness to come to training and push themselves without periodic incentive then they probably shouldn't BE a black belt. But perhaps it varies according to what value you put on it.

I think a person who earns black rank has learned that their training is about *them* - not an incentive program. They shouldn't have to be baby-sat.

Sorry - the business person in me aches because my business is struggling but I Just Can't Bring Myself To Charge People For the extra-special dojang air they breathe in my dungeon.

JDoe - check out your contract and see if this crap is outlined in it. It's especially worrisome when you're already paying on your contract and you have to pay freakin' EXTRA???? to make sure you're ON TRACK?????? That's what your *classtime* is for.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi all. My first post...

A "credit test" has popped up 3 months into my Prob BB life (involves the BB students as well). Will cost $60.
I don't necessarily mind the credit test or fee. It's variable as to how many credit tests pop up during the year according to other students in the school. I can't really get a straight answer.
Thx.

I am surprised many responses glossed over what appear to be the most important factors.

A. The test "Popped Up".
B. "It's variable"
C. "I can't really get a straight answer".

There should be no issues with Tests, fees, probation, etc. so long as you know what the deal is. That is what you signed up for.
If it truly is a surprise (as opposed to being disclosed but somhow you didn't get the memo.

If A,B, or C are truly correct, you should leave ASAP.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's interesting the range of approaches to rank you find in different systems.

TKD - pay every 3 months to test for a new rank. Maybe even "credit test" in-between ranks.
BJJ - show up and train regularly for a few years and one day your instructor hands you a new belt. He may or may not get around to handing you some stripes in-between belts.
CMAs that have not instituted a belt system* - show up and train. After a whole bunch of years, your instructor might tell you that you are qualified to teach.

*(I know some CMA instructors have instituted a colored sash rank system, but I believe many still do not.)

Has anyone here made the transition from one system to another and been hit with culture shock at the different expectations?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Last edited:

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow. An instructor that makes adult students wear poom (half red/black)? What a joke. He/she has obviously no idea what the rank/belt is meant for. I would run away and not look back. Since you seem to be locked into a contract I would re-read it and see if there is anything about "credit tests". If not, I would just tell the instructor that I had something planned already:" Sorry I can't make it."
If he makes it mandatory then tell him "I guess that it will just take me longer to get to my black belt, thanks for the guaranteed contract" and smile. He will realize that he is going to have to wait longer to re-sign you and will move you along accordingly.
I reccomend getting out of your contract and looking elsewhere. No good schools around you? Move. Can't move? Change styles. Your current school is a belt factory and is ripping you off.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thx for input everyone.
I had visited 4 schools in my area and actually left out the schools that seemed fishy! I couldn't believe who passed themselves off as an instructor.
Every one of them had some sort of contract that was ultimately quite vague and full of smoke and mirrors. In general, schools are not usually up front with the students, at least in my area.

The initial school I had trained with was in another city. No contract. Paid month to month. Fair testing schedule and fee for color belts. However, I was there for less than a year then moved away, so I don't know what happened after black belt, etc. I have yet to find a school like that and probably never will. It was also located in a city where, in general, life is much cheaper.

I think fees and contracts have to do with the city, economy of certain areas, as well as competing schools, which as a whole, set up a standard that is ultimately accepted by all. This ends up leaving little choice to the interested student.
It would be nice if it was all romantic and cozy and we could have an instructor who only cared about teaching their art and lived in a shack (was the Karate Kid real?). Unfortunately, like any other successful business, this is not the case.

You wouldn't believe the number of martial arts schools I have seen come and go in my area. Got a black belt? There is leasable space in a mini-mall near you!! I feel fortunate that where I am at now has at least weathered the economy and found a way to survive.
I am obligated to 2nd deg BB at this point. Paid in full... The average monthly payment over this period of time turns out to be a shade under $100/month. This flat fee I paid up front included 2 nice Adidas uniforms (around 100 bucks a pop) and a bag with complete sparring equipment, swords, nunchuks, etc (? cost).

To be blunt, this credit testing has me by the balls and I feel there is nothing I can do about it.
Oh well. Miyagi doesn't live in my area...
Squashed like grape :(
Maybe you answered this in another post, but how much was the actual testing fee? Also, was there a fee for the probationary test?

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Threads like this make me glad that TKD isn't my business, it's something I do as a volunteer service. One thing I never have to deal with is being accused of selling belts to pay my bills. What those of you that own your own school have to deal with, the rent and insurance and other bills, I respect it a lot. To do it and stay legit, not rip people off is great. I don't know that I could deal with all the stress that goes along with it.

RobinTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We don't have anything like that in Judo... We don't pay to test until black belt and that fee goes to the USJA. 1st Dan is $125 and each rank there after increases by $25 per rank. We also have a 3 to 5 years wait time between dan ranks so you won't go broke doing Judo. I haven't paid for Judo in almost 4 years... But I am close to being tested again so better get the check book ready :)

BJA do it better, fight to grade for your black belt, every fight you win gives you 10 points, you need 100 to get your BB, each competition costs about 10-15gbp, and if you do well enough, they'll give you a line up and if you beat everyone in that line you get your BB there and then. So it could cost you quite a bit (in which case you're probably not ready for your Black Belt) or it could cost you some spare change and the price of fuel to get there.

OP
J

JDoe

White Belt
Reaction score
Sooo... How long is it gonna take me to get my black belt around here?!
I type fasta than Bruce Lee ever could! <keyop>

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Uh ... I think it's 500 posts? :) There is a nominal fee for becoming a supporting member and keeping the lights on. Not required, but helpful to our illustrious leader.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sooo... How long is it gonna take me to get my black belt around here?!
I type fasta than Bruce Lee ever could! <keyop>

I'll tie a black sash on you day one if we can just get down to training & forget the rest of the crap! :D

But as a mea culpa, I did institute a colored sash system for the kids I teach. But I test them for free & buy their sashes. No cost passed on, no reimbursement or profit to me. I don't have to pass them because there's a pending financial transaction.

As Tony pointed out above, in TCMA, there were no ranks/colors/levels/etc... you showed up, you trained, you left.

You know who the elders are since they are there already.
You know who the juniors are since they joined in after you.
You absolutely know who the teacher is, because there's only one.

That's how it was with my teacher & his teachers before him.

But as a downer here in the states, very few people have the where-with-all to train for the sheer sake & enjoyment of training. Also without being able to show little Johnny & his soccer mom he's getting better by charging her to test every two months so he will keep coming back, it's hard to pay the bills.

31 flavor sashes/belts/whatever do keep the people coming in. God knows I tried to do without, but it's just not possible in a mass market.

Latest Discussions