I am not certified by Kukiwon

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not a certified BB by kukiwon so?

My sambunim in the mid 80's was one of the firsth certified BB by Kukiwon in the late 60's, his sambunim was Grand Master An Dae Sup who in early 1967 came to Mexico to start Tae Kwon Do Jido Kwan, that's my lineaje.

When I did my fisth degree black belt in 1987 I was given a certification from Jido Kwan Mexico, later my sambonin asked to his pupils who wanted the Kukiwon certification, so I pay the fee but sadly the kukiwon certifications never arrived to us, so I'm not a BB certified by Kukiwon.

Right now I'm still a first dan BB and would do a second degree black belt examn on december but will be sanctioned by my new dojan and don't think I will get a kukiwon certification.

I think I really don't need the kukiwon certificaction, I am not a dojan owner, I don't go to tournements or competitions, I just do TKD cause I love it and for trying to be healty.

Do you think I need the kukuwon recognition?

Manny

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well with everything going on with the KKW it probaly does not matter, there is alot of excellent TKD'ers out there without one so if you really do not need it who cares.

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

My sambunim in the mid 80's was one of the firsth certified BB by Kukiwon in the late 60's,

Manny

I know it's a small thing- but I feel I need to inform....The Kukkiwon wasn't established until 1972.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well with everything going on with the KKW it probaly does not matter, there is alot of excellent TKD'ers out there without one so if you really do not need it who cares.

While I am certified out to at least 4 dan, I to don't worry about it. It's a nice to have but considering everything, it's no biggie. Like Terry says, plenty of excelelnt TKD'ers out ther without that stuff.

Deaf

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I see no reason to send my money overseas to an organization with a history of corruption and mismanaging finances. If there were true tangible benefits to being a member, perhaps, but I don't see the ROI where I am standing.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't think it would really matter in the grand scheme of things to be KKW certified. I have a 1st dan, and I'm not certified under any organization. I practice ITF TKD, but I'm not an ITF certified BB. Not that I'm aware of, anyway.

Your BB represents knowledge and skill. To me, it doesn't matter what organization is attached to it, as long as you have earned it and can show that you have. I think that's a large part of the problem with the politics...belonging to an organization is nice and serves its purpose, but it's not a necessary thing.

I can see it being a plus for teaching purposes...being able to advertise that you're KKW certified. But the general public isn't going to know what that means, and is going to make the judgement based on your teaching ability and skill level as a BlackBelt in TKD, not what you have framed on the wall.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I know it's a small thing- but I feel I need to inform....The Kukkiwon wasn't established until 1972.
True. Prior to this your instructor would have been certified by the KTA. I'm not sure if we was one of the first considering that people like the late Ernest Lieb was one of the first Americans to beat Korea in the Taesoodo Championships back in 1964, I believe, so he was already certified back then. But I digress.

In order to get your KKW 2nd dan you will need to find a KKW certified 4th dan or higher to recommend you for a skip dan promotion. You can also go to http://www.kukkiwon.or.kr/english/index.jsp and see if perhaps you are registered with the KKW. It could be possible that you just never received your certificates. I hope this helps.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yo could be right! my former sambuim started TKD in 1967 below the sight of Master An Dae Sup and he must earn his first fdan from Master An, he got all his certification from kukiwon since its creation.

Manny

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Heresy!! Sacrelige!!! Heathen infidel!! We must burn you at the stake!! And roast marshmellows and hotdogs while looking on!!

Just kidding.

No, I don't think it matters, though KKW certification may be helpful from a business standpoint and the having of it or lack of having it will affect how some perceive you and how one's competition may portray them.

Also, there will be students who will recognize an instructor's ability as an instructor but who will pass him or her over because KKW certification is important to them.

Ultimately, if your skill and knowledge (and instruction if applicable) is of a high caliber, that is what counts.

Daniel

Last edited:

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

My sambunim in the mid 80's was one of the firsth certified BB by Kukiwon in the late 60's, his sambunim was Grand Master An Dae Sup who in early 1967 came to Mexico to start Tae Kwon Do Jido Kwan, that's my lineaje.

When I did my fisth degree black belt in 1987 I was given a certification from Jido Kwan Mexico, later my sambonin asked to his pupils who wanted the Kukiwon certification, so I pay the fee but sadly the kukiwon certifications never arrived to us, so I'm not a BB certified by Kukiwon.

Right now I'm still a first dan BB and would do a second degree black belt examn on december but will be sanctioned by my new dojan and don't think I will get a kukiwon certification.

I think I really don't need the kukiwon certificaction, I am not a dojan owner, I don't go to tournements or competitions, I just do TKD cause I love it and for trying to be healty.

Manny
Regarding the rest, if your current dojang is training you and promoting you, that should be good enough. KKW certification is not needed to go to open tournaments or to open your own dojang, neither of which you indicate a desire to do. Thus, your current dojang's promotions and rankings are what you should be concerned with.

In regards to the money you spent, Miguksaram's advice is the best in this regard. If indeed you are certified, then all is well, so to speak. If not, you may have no recourse regarding money spent, but as Miguksaram said, you may be able to find a 4th dan plus KKW practitioner to recommend you for a skipdan.

Best wishes,

Daniel

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
My actual sambunim is a 7th degree black belt kukuwon certified, he's a respected men in the sport tkd in my country.

I really never care for a KKW certificate cause I didin't need it, I just focus in training, I'm not a competitor and don't run a dojan, so with only my black belt (my pevius tkd certificates are missing) around my waist is enough for me, this december I will get a second dan promotion certificate from Hwarang Tae Kwon Do that's the name of my present dojan.

Manny

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If your GM is childan, he can definitely take care of looking into a skipdan. Also, he can probably dig to see if you're actually KKW certified.

Best wishes,

Daniel

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am certified by the Kukkiwon and WCDK. Does it really matter to others (general public and other MA'st), NO! It is important to me- and that is what matters!

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score

Manny

Associations like this are a bunch of guys standing around, patting each other on the back and telling each other how important they are for patting each other on the back, and enjoying adjunct income for little more than a signature. I say, "screw 'em".

Will a certificate from them help you hit harder? Move faster? Will not having one cause you to drop your hands rather than block effectively?

Enjoy what you have, be who you are, and ignore the politics.

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just a question. Is it necessary for KKW certification to compete in the commonwealth games, asian(is there such a thing?) & world championships and olympics etc competitions? There was an earlier post mentioning "open tournaments" but im not sure if it covers the various games im thinking of.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Associations like this are a bunch of guys standing around, patting each other on the back and telling each other how important they are for patting each other on the back, and enjoying adjunct income for little more than a signature. I say, "screw 'em".

Will a certificate from them help you hit harder? Move faster? Will not having one cause you to drop your hands rather than block effectively?

We have that problem in the computer industry. I have seen a lot of computer techs or software engineers that have certifications coming out of their eyeballs who are not able to perform simple tasks. I have also had the privilege of working with some very talented programmers and techs who have no certifications at all.

What it comes down to is this. What is the lack of a certification stopping you from doing? Do you want to do it? How much is it worth to you to do it?

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score

You truely have no understanding of the KKW. Though a piece of paper will not help you hit harder or move faster, it is a lot more than just a bunch of guys patting each other on the back. With that example that you gave, why train in any martial art at all? You can learn to hit harder and move faster by just going on the street and "doing".

I take it your school or your instructor's school or his instructor's school never belonged to an association?

Last edited: