Why I decided to come up with my own martial arts concept...

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jenna said:
I think there is an element of conceit in those that feel they can create a new art.

Think of those founders who have done just that: Gracie, Parker, Ueshiba, Hatsumi, Kano, Presas etc etc. They were conceited enough to think they could do it better. And they did.

Of course they were each exceptional talents in their own disciplines.

I think this is key: Gracie had Judo, Ueshiba had Daito ryu, Kano had various jujutsu systems, etc. They had some background in other arts-they didn't create their arts from a vacuum.

OP
fenglong

fenglong

Green Belt
Reaction score
@Bill Mattocks
I agree there is a lot of BS being sold as something it is not, but then again, its often their own fault when people fall for this scam. Also, people have always come up with own ideas in MA, most may not have worked, some have, obviously, as it was people who created the thousands of MA across the world, not .. erm... god?

Anyway, how about some productive feedback instead of this loop of questioning my legitimation to create a style?

What about my critics on straight attacks? From my experience those moves are so inefficient, pushing all this force into a straight attack just to have your joints and muscles intercept it with even more force.
I guess most disagree with me... any info sources that disprove my theory? Or does anyone actually know of some art that offers alternatives?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there is an element of conceit in those that feel they can create a new art.

Think of those founders who have done just that: Gracie, Parker, Ueshiba, Hatsumi, Kano, Presas etc etc. They were conceited enough to think they could do it better. And they did.

Are you? I guess time itself will be your ultimate proving. I wish you well with your endeavour.

I don't think it's fair to say that these (extraordinarily talented) individual created any new arts. Each already had extensive training, and though they modified what they were taught, don't you think their roots still show?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
@Bill Mattocks
Anyway, how about some productive feedback instead of this loop of questioning my legitimation to create a style?

What about my critics on straight attacks? From my experience those moves are so inefficient, pushing all this force into a straight attack just to have your joints and muscles intercept it with even more force.

Because straight attacks tend to be very fast, can be very non-telegraphic if done correctly, and if well aimed the opponent's body should be stopping the force, not the deliverer. Over training in the air is a problem, when training for power the body should have resistance.

So, let me ask, lets take a look at a lead boxing style jab, that tends to be very linear punch. If this action is so inefficient, can you offer something that does the same job at the same range for less energy?

I guess most disagree with me... any info sources that disprove my theory? Or does anyone actually know of some art that offers alternatives?

Would personal experience training with multiple systems that use both linear and circular attacking motions count (which quite frankly is just about every art)?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Somebody once asked Sigung Tsui Seung Tin why we mainly just use the centreline punch or the palm strike .

He basically said " That's all you really need " and no one had ever been able to block his palm strike or his punch.
This is due to two main reasons , the man doesn't telegraph one iota and secondly he is just so damned relaxed and fast.
Mind you , the man's been training since about 1952.

In the context of close range combat where Wing Chun operates , linear strikes combined with wrist latching work extremely well , but if it is expedient to do so we will also use the uppercut from Chum Kiu or the Hook Punch from Biu Gee.

It depends on the situation , if your shielding your face with your arms I'm not going to use "Continuous Punch" and batter your forearms like an idiot , I'm going to latch your arms down as I pivot and hook punch you in the head , Why ? , because it is more efficient to do so.

Noah_Legel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Why would anyone come up with this idea anyway?
Watched too much Dragonball? Screwed up the backflip a little too often? Heard the call of the Youtube Mutant Ninja Turtles?

Or you probably enjoy getting bullied and laughed about. :bangahead:

Anyways, here are some of the reasons I got tired of the different kinds of training I have been through, please feel free to share your experience/advices...

• Combat and fitness training always resulted in a stronger but slower body.
  • Techniques often are complicated and not flexible, nor natural.
  • Training methods often relate to antiquated or unrelated knowledge.
  • You are not supposed to question the teachings or even the teacher/master.
  • There mainly seem to be 2 kinds of people training, brawlers and new-age disciples.
Besides these weird experiences I had, I also dislike how highly flexible stances usually result being really unstable too.

So, it sounds like you've been training for about twice as long as I have (you mentioned that you've been training for 10+ years) but I have to disagree with you.

In the time that I have been training I have gotten much faster, not slower. I have learned a lot of simple techniques, and many of them can be incorporated to the more complicated techniques I have learned and the more I work the complicated ones the easier and more natural they become. Training methods can be antiquated or rely on falsehoods, yes, but that is where doing your own research helps your training. I ask my instructor questions, so I don't know where that idea came from. As for two kinds of people training, that is kind of insulting to everybody who isn't a "brawler" or "new-age disciple" and I would guess that MOST martial artists nowadays do not fall into either of these categories. I also see that you are trying to say that circular strikes are more efficient and effective than linear strikes, which is about as logical as saying that a hammer is more efficient and effective than a screwdriver--they are both very useful in certain circumstances, and they are only as efficient as the person using them.

Now, I find that the longer I train, the less I care about styles and categories because I feel like I am constantly adapting and modifying what I do into my own personal "style" based on everything I learn, whether I learn it as part of my base style or not. Due to that, I don't really have much of a problem with people teaching their own personal styles. That said, if you are going to go out and create your own style and start teaching it to people, you better not lie about it and you had better pressure test it, otherwise you will deserve all of the criticism you receive and any business you lose by being busted. If you go out there and start claiming soke/grandmaster/10th-dan/etc. and saying that you are the founder of Your-own-ryu without admitting openly and honestly the amount of time you have been training, what you have trained in, with whom and what ranks you earned then you are being deceitful. If you tell people that your art is more efficient and effective than any other art but you never spar, never work against resisting opponents and never hit people or get hit then you are being deceitful.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Most of my time I have trained Hung Gar Kungfu, Taekwondo and Kickboxing and I while we have always been told to keep stepping in TKD sparring, needless to say we never used the actual Hung Gar stances in Kungfu sparring =P.
Besides preserving the culture and a little leg training for strength (mabu with vertical thighs) and balance I really doubt their use in real combat situations. At least I myself have never used most of them in actual combat.

That is because you do not understand stances in kung fu. You need more instruction, more practice, and quite probably, a better and more knowledgeable teacher.

You doubt stances in kung fu, yet you feel you need to create your own system? You do not understand the very basic fundamentals yet. You have nothing with which to build something new. That's why nothing seems to work for you.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well "get fit" is a weird advice. I have never seen a marathon runner succeed in combat because he is fit.
Don't you think what we train is essential too?

Of course. But when I say Fitness, I mean Combative Fitness. Meaning, Fitness by means of Striking, mostly.

Please no such assumptions,

Presumptions based on a lack of contrary information and insinuations.

I simply started off with these 3 arts, TKD was a mixture of traditional and sports systems, sometimes had a bit Hapkido and Gumdo mixed in as well.

It sounds to me like it lost its identity a touch, based on that much of a blend.

At the beginning I was practicing these 3 styles so I could train at least 3 hours a day in my school, later they all showed their benefits, Kickboxing for hardening and sparring, Hung Gar and TKD for techniques and flexibility and in combat situations I was able to get used to what worked out best.
Later I also added Taijiquan.

Cool. Or something.

I tried a lot of different styles when I was not satisfied anymore and I am not saying they were bad, I am not saying any style is bad, I admire most of them, I just never completely like a single style. Instead of mixing up stuff I have not mastered yet or even messing with a style I have not mastered and not fully understood, I rather try to form my expectations into something from the scratch. So far it looks a bit like a mixture of some Karate and Taijiquan...

And you wouldnt be the first - But others have said what I would essentially say here, namely Mister Mattocks.

Just My Contribution.

@Bill Mattocks
I agree there is a lot of BS being sold as something it is not, but then again, its often their own fault when people fall for this scam. Also, people have always come up with own ideas in MA, most may not have worked, some have, obviously, as it was people who created the thousands of MA across the world, not .. erm... god?

You mean like a Straight Punch?
More Power. Power = Good.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh dear lord....

Watched too much Dragonball? Screwed up the backflip a little too often? Heard the call of the Youtube Mutant Ninja Turtles?

Anyways, here are some of the reasons I got tired of the different kinds of training I have been through, please feel free to share your experience/advices...
  • There mainly seem to be 2 kinds of people training, brawlers and new-age disciples.
Besides these weird experiences I had, I also dislike how highly flexible stances usually result being really unstable too.

Because they have no understanding of what it actually means, yet for some reason think that they know "better". Best case in point? Right here: http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?94605-My-own-MA

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess I feel like I am not good enough to create my own style. I have a hard enough time trying to learn my present styles. Maybe when I feel like I can no longer get anything more out of my present styles, I will create my own style, but I don't think that will be happening anytime soon. Plus, I am not that creative, and it is easier for me to simply slog through and continue in someone else's style than to try and come up with something on my own.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Are you? I guess time itself will be your ultimate proving. I wish you well with your endeavour.

I would say "arrogance" rather than "conceit". An arrogant person can back up his big talk. A conceited person can't.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

The problem with responding to this is all the points are sooo vague.

Point by point:

Combat and fitness training always resulted in a stronger but slower body.

What kind of combat training? What kind of fitness training? The human body just doesn't vary enough that the experiences for you would be incredibly different from others. The ability to move one's body quickly depends on a certain kind of strength. The ability to move weight depends on a different kind of strength. So the way you do combat and fitness training is immensely important. It requires some knowledge of how the body works and what gains strength, flexibility, and speed.

... or the instruction of someone who does have this knowledge, and knows how to teach others to do it.

Techniques often are complicated and not flexible, nor natural.

Techniques being complicated... well I can agree with you, depending on the technique. But at the same time, complicated is not necessarily bad. And being able to employ a technique in a stressful situation is heavily dependent on how well and in what way the technique is practiced.

As far as natural... well, nothing is natural when first learned. But the term itself is pretty subjective. "Natural" could mean, "within the normal range of human ability, not requiring supernatural ability". It could mean "easily able to pull off", or it could mean "comfortable for the practitioner"

All of these are heavily dependent on the body type, fitness level, and experience of the practitioner.

Training methods often relate to antiquated or unrelated knowledge.

Which ones? Which knowledge? This is WAAAYYY to broad to even really address it.

You are not supposed to question the teachings or even the teacher/master.

That varies from style to style, and teacher to teacher. Even lesson to lesson.

There mainly seem to be 2 kinds of people training, brawlers and new-age disciples.

I ran a martial arts studio for a couple years, and I would disagree based on that experience and many other experiences I've had. This, in my experience, describes the outliers, not the vast majority of people.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Which, based on the posts of the OP, would put it more in Jenna's choice of word....

Meh. I'll reserve judgement on that. Nothing is lost but time by reading what he writes. I'm on an online martial arts forum. Can I honestly say I'm worried about that? LOL

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I feel like I am not good enough to create my own style. I have a hard enough time trying to learn my present styles. Maybe when I feel like I can no longer get anything more out of my present styles, I will create my own style, but I don't think that will be happening anytime soon. Plus, I am not that creative, and it is easier for me to simply slog through and continue in someone else's style than to try and come up with something on my own.

That is actually a very refreshing perspective Glenn, I applaud you for it. I remember the old Dirty Harry quote, "A mans got to know his limitations". Very well spoken sir.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't think it's fair to say that these (extraordinarily talented) individual created any new arts. Each already had extensive training, and though they modified what they were taught, don't you think their roots still show?
Exactly.

And but at some point we have to create demarcations between what is a continuation / adulteration of one art or conflation of many and what is such a radical new way of thinking (irrespective of how many facets of its progenitor it inherits) that it can only be seen as a new art, yes?

The pedant might recite a truism that there are no new arts, only plagiarisms. I would rather not be pedantic.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would say "arrogance" rather than "conceit". An arrogant person can back up his big talk. A conceited person can't.
Indeed. That reminds me of Mohammad Ali's line - it was something to the effect of.. "It is not bragging if you can back it up." An athlete like Ali in his day could carry off the initiation of a new "Ali Style" of boxing had he so chosen. Ifonically I would say that for all his bluster he always acted supremely modestly in his own manner. Regardless, if I had my way I would restrict architects of new fighting arts to practitioners of Ali's level of competence. Unfortunately all and sundry are free to peddle their snake oils in martial arts as anywhere else. Well, it worked for William Rockefeller. I guess that proves that if there are enough dupes it is possible to make a success of anything. Now, please excuse me, I must continue working on my martial doctrine.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again, we need to examine the root cause of a change. Is it ego? Is it arrogance? Does a specific need exist? Is it something truly new or does it have a foundation along with modifications? If an art is studied, and truly understood and then at some point something new is learned (talking about a specific technique for example) that would serve the student base better, would it not be for the betterment of the art to replace a specific with something that works better?

To answer that question, we would also need to look at the actual experience of the person 'developing' the art in question. Is their training based upon experience, theory or a combination? Looking at a simplistic example, lets say an art has 50 methods of locking. Lets go further and say that many/most/all of the instructors of this art learned the locks very well but yet never actually used any of them on a violent, resisting attacker i.e. there was never a legitimate acid test. Now lets say that a student comes along with a plethora of actual/practical/tactical experience. Maybe he/she is military, police, corrections, professional bouncer i.e. they have an actual need to use the art often. Lets say this student trains to a high level of proficiency. Now lets say that some/many of the locks learned really don't work very well outside of the dojo/dojang. This does happen. He/she learns some/many locks that he/she can actually use in their vocation with a high % of success, more so than that which was learned previously. Is it not therefore prudent to alter the curriculum accordingly to that which works better?

Just a thought to consider along with the OP.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
1. I've met more than a couple young people who thought they knew it all, and were ready for their sokeship and to build their own system. To even my beginner's eyes, they don't know jack about their own systems, far less are they qualified to go it alone.

2. I will not live long enough to attain anything even close to mastery of the art I train in; but I am satisfied with the pace of my training and I believe I am on the correct path for me. Start my own art? I would not presume that I had enough knowledge to do more than teach how to step or punch correctly to children. How then could I create my own system or even judge the correctness of my system? I know far too little to sit in judgment of the art I train in. Fortunately, I am old enough to realize my own ignorance.

I numbered your posts Bill so I could respond to them better. I like what you wrote, I just want to add my 2 cents.

I think seeing people who are unqualified to teach anything, especially something they've made up or pieced together from a few years of dabbling is the most frustrating thing to any serious practitioner of the martial arts. I personally know a guy who started teaching his own made up system and his highest rank was a green belt in the martial art I train in. The man does not understand what makes a martial art a martial art.
2. I think this is a good attitude to have, but I believe you could attain mastery if you set your mind to it, and lived long enough. You could definitely be there by age 80!

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Teaching has never been synonymous with proficiency. Sometimes you teach because, well, someone has to, and sometimes its ones ego pushing.

I know of Hachidans well into their 80’s who consider themselves students, and they’ve been training for 70 years. If you ever get to the point where you consider yourself an expert at anything, you’ve either missed something, or you’re omnipotent.

Latest Discussions