Status
Not open for further replies.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've just looked at this guys videos and almost every video is called why insert style here gets you killed in self defence. Oh and a video of him telling sparring stories and a few fake wrestling videos....well that tells me all I need to know

Well it’s pretty common knowledge that before imparting great street fighting knowledge it is a requirement to disparage all other arts.

Except the dangerous and deadly fighting chicken art of El Diablo which is undisparageable.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow. With this one post you have displayed as much ignorance as the OP.
I'm pretty certain that CB is joking around and deliberately trying to make a comment as misinformed as the OP's nonsense. Same for another comment he made earlier in the thread. Poe's law applies here.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's an explanation why people should stop teaching BJJ for self defense.

Little to no striking
- BJJ has little to no striking. BJJ claims that you can subdue an attacker peacefully without striking or kicking. The problem is that if you have to avoid strikes and kicks to counter them, your art is weak in those areas. If you have to use strikes or kicks, you acknowledge grappling isn't enough to engage in combat.

The lack of training to deal with realistic strikes or kicks is going to set you up to get beaten. BJJ practitioners who got attacked on the streets were repeatedly punched in the head. Some got beat up. That's not self-defense. More like self-expense.

The rules in BJJ restrict what you can do as far as striking and kicking among other things except grappling. This video demonstrates how real ground-fighting looks like in the streets.

No weapons - Second problem with BJJ is lack of weapons training. If you're not training to deal with weapons like knives or guns, you're setting yourself up to get seriously hurt or killed. Most BJJ practitioners who get attacked are shot, stabbed, or beaten to death with weapons. When you grapple, you briefly expose your body to get attacked with strikes. I even tested it out in sparring. Put my opponent in a rear-naked choke and he hit me in the face with a pretend melee weapon.

Worse, you got these BJJ guys teaching static and flashy unrealistic techniques. They only work when your opponent is complying. They look something like this.

This is the reality.

Ground-fighting is terrible for self defense - Last problem with BJJ is ground-fighting. It's perhaps the worst things for self defense. Are you really going to try to put me in a submission while i'm trying to beat you up and shoot or stab you on the ground? Are you going to be hugging and kissing me by then? Taking it to the ground is bad because you can't move well, your vision is limited, your body is exposed, list goes on.

Let's not forget multiple attackers and the environment. It's for those reasons that BJJ will get you beaten or killed on the streets. It's suitable mainly for sport or maybe if you're a bouncer or cop trying to subdue a criminal.
You are once again confounding sport rules with the curriculum of an art. Sport BJJ doesn't deal with punches...except when it's being trained for MMA purposes, then it does. But there's a range of approaches to BJJ, including a SD approach.

And ground fighting is actually NOT terrible for SD. If you are on the ground, ground fighting is excellent for SD. While I could agree that choosing ground fighting as a go-to is not always a good choice, you're far overstating the point.

And lastly, weapons training is far from a universal solution. It helps, but only if you actually have a weapon to hand. In many places, a stick (in the form of a cane or such) is the best weapon folks can hope to have with them.

You have an idealized view of things. I recommend you find some folks who are open to sharing ideas and spend some time on the mats with them. Share your thoughts, and find out what theirs are. Specifically, look for where they have counter-arguments to your thoughts - that's how we best test our conclusions. I once thought ground fighting was an awful idea. Then I learned a bit more of it, and realized it has a place. That started with someone emphasizing that the point of learning ground fighting was to be able to defend yourself if you end up there. I listened and learned, and added ground fighting to my toolset.

BJJ is unlikely to get someone killed (though I don't consider it optimal for a lot of situations). Having mistaken notions of their skillset, a poor understanding of SD situations and training, or ignoring tools that are useful just might get someone hurt, though.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use some BJJ techniques, but they are mostly stand up grappling and i modified them to make them work. Other than that, i don't really use the rest of BJJ.
Why would you use BJJ stand-up as part of your base? There's much better stand-up to be found. BJJ's ground work, however...I'd bet Tony Dismukes can get up off the ground smoother and more protected than you. Why? Because he trains to get up.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm pretty certain that CB is joking around and deliberately trying to make a comment as misinformed as the OP's nonsense. Same for another comment he made earlier in the thread. Poe's law applies here.
I hope that is true and the comment was meant tongue-in-cheek. So much of that nonsense gets thrown around here, it can be difficult to spot when someone is not being serious.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope that is true and the comment was meant tongue-in-cheek. So much of that nonsense gets thrown around here, it can be difficult to spot when someone is not being serious.
Based on the earlier comment and the chi balls thing, im 98% sure its tongue in cheek

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe so. Chi balls is a pretty generic thing. When you start naming specific systems then it blurs the intent.

It was just me having a little fun.

BJJ is more than proven itself....so I thought I would just add even more ridiculousness to a ridiculous thread.

Note: the el Diablo and fighting chicken is a Will Ferrell reference

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I went to youtube, heartfelt apologies, I feel awful. I had no idea the OP was special needs, I really didn't.

Again, sorry, I meant no disrespect.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I went to youtube, heartfelt apologies, I feel awful. I had no idea the OP was special needs, I really didn't.

Again, sorry, I meant no disrespect.

tenor.gif

Ryan_

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've just looked at this guys videos and almost every video is called why insert style here gets you killed in self defence. Oh and a video of him telling sparring stories and a few fake wrestling videos....well that tells me all I need to know
Maybe he should try Ameridote

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tell you what, this guy has done something that so very few people ever manage to achieve.

He's brought together people from many apparently disparate arts by being a common enema.

Oops, I meant 'enemy' - must've been a Freudian slip because his attitude really gets right up my a...........

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
No i don't see how that's relevant to what i said. It changes nothing.

Now see, I was just sitting back reading and enjoying the bantering, and then you had to go and say the above. If you train in an art, you will find things that may not at first (and granted, perhaps never) look like a viable technique. But as you train, and get good enough, you are more and more likely to see how, and then, make the technique work.

I was passing curious so I looked at your site. You state you have "... trained in JKD, Wing Chun, boxing, weapon disarms, BJJ, and various skills for 8 years." So you have trained in 5 arts and 'various' skills. That sounds impressive except I don't know how you would get to be really good at those things, including BJJ. BTW, I wondered why you would talk about having studied BJJ when you put it down so strongly. You mentioned taking some BJJ techniques and modifying them, is that the training you have in the other arts you mention?

You may really be great at using different MA techniques in an amalgam of some sort, and may be great at teaching. But I must admit I at least, am somewhat skeptical.

Oh, you might want to stay away from Maui. :(

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You state you have "... trained in JKD, Wing Chun, boxing, weapon disarms, BJJ, and various skills for 8 years." So you have trained in 5 arts and 'various' skills. That sounds impressive except I don't know how you would get to be really good at those things, including BJJ. BTW, I wondered why you would talk about having studied BJJ when you put it down so strongly. You mentioned taking some BJJ techniques and modifying them, is that the training you have in the other arts you mention?
At this point it's pretty certain that his "training" in the above arts mostly consists of watching YouTube. He may have taken a free intro class at an actual school somewhere, but it's not clear.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Why would you use BJJ stand-up as part of your base? There's much better stand-up to be found. BJJ's ground work, however...I'd bet Tony Dismukes can get up off the ground smoother and more protected than you. Why? Because he trains to get up.
Well, he's all disparaged judo, and well, wrestling, you know, with the singlet and all. Let's just say it's not slimming. So that's out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions