Status
Not open for further replies.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's an explanation why people should stop teaching BJJ for self defense.

Little to no striking
- BJJ has little to no striking. BJJ claims that you can subdue an attacker peacefully without striking or kicking. The problem is that if you have to avoid strikes and kicks to counter them, your art is weak in those areas. If you have to use strikes or kicks, you acknowledge grappling isn't enough to engage in combat.

The lack of training to deal with realistic strikes or kicks is going to set you up to get beaten. BJJ practitioners who got attacked on the streets were repeatedly punched in the head. Some got beat up. That's not self-defense. More like self-expense.

The rules in BJJ restrict what you can do as far as striking and kicking among other things except grappling. This video demonstrates how real ground-fighting looks like in the streets.

No weapons - Second problem with BJJ is lack of weapons training. If you're not training to deal with weapons like knives or guns, you're setting yourself up to get seriously hurt or killed. Most BJJ practitioners who get attacked are shot, stabbed, or beaten to death with weapons. When you grapple, you briefly expose your body to get attacked with strikes. I even tested it out in sparring. Put my opponent in a rear-naked choke and he hit me in the face with a pretend melee weapon.

Worse, you got these BJJ guys teaching static and flashy unrealistic techniques. They only work when your opponent is complying. They look something like this.

This is the reality.

Ground-fighting is terrible for self defense - Last problem with BJJ is ground-fighting. It's perhaps the worst things for self defense. Are you really going to try to put me in a submission while i'm trying to beat you up and shoot or stab you on the ground? Are you going to be hugging and kissing me by then? Taking it to the ground is bad because you can't move well, your vision is limited, your body is exposed, list goes on.

Let's not forget multiple attackers and the environment. It's for those reasons that BJJ will get you beaten or killed on the streets. It's suitable mainly for sport or maybe if you're a bouncer or cop trying to subdue a criminal.

Ok I have seen the light

Sir You can have your opinions and that is your right but jeez you instill that kinda thing into your students and someone gonna get handed their behind in a sling... sorry to be blunt but listen to the guys on here they do know what they talking about

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The problem with this video is the opponent didn't have a weapon...

You are gonna get some one hurt you really need to start listening to the guys who do know

Didn't have a weapon ...........

Ok I gonna say this now if any of your students read these threads and if anyone of here takes you up on your free lesson offer your business is gonna go down the toilet fast as they will pick you apart ...fast

Jeez I am no expert on BJJ or JkD at all but from my background the phrase going through you like a hot knife in butter comes to mind

You really ain't doing your credibility or your business any good with this !!!

OP
Isaiah90

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You are gonna get some one hurt you really need to start listening to the guys who do know

Didn't have a weapon ...........

Ok I gonna say this now if any of your students read these threads and if anyone of here takes you up on your free lesson offer your business is gonna go down the toilet fast as they will pick you apart ...fast

Jeez I am no expert on BJJ or JkD at all but from my background the phrase going through you like a hot knife in butter comes to mind

You really ain't doing your credibility or your business any good with this !!!

Laughing my taill off at these comments lol.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's an explanation why people should stop teaching BJJ for self defense.

Little to no striking
- BJJ has little to no striking. BJJ claims that you can subdue an attacker peacefully without striking or kicking. The problem is that if you have to avoid strikes and kicks to counter them, your art is weak in those areas. If you have to use strikes or kicks, you acknowledge grappling isn't enough to engage in combat.

The lack of training to deal with realistic strikes or kicks is going to set you up to get beaten. BJJ practitioners who got attacked on the streets were repeatedly punched in the head. Some got beat up. That's not self-defense. More like self-expense.

The rules in BJJ restrict what you can do as far as striking and kicking among other things except grappling. This video demonstrates how real ground-fighting looks like in the streets.

No weapons - Second problem with BJJ is lack of weapons training. If you're not training to deal with weapons like knives or guns, you're setting yourself up to get seriously hurt or killed. Most BJJ practitioners who get attacked are shot, stabbed, or beaten to death with weapons. When you grapple, you briefly expose your body to get attacked with strikes. I even tested it out in sparring. Put my opponent in a rear-naked choke and he hit me in the face with a pretend melee weapon.

Worse, you got these BJJ guys teaching static and flashy unrealistic techniques. They only work when your opponent is complying. They look something like this.

This is the reality.

Ground-fighting is terrible for self defense - Last problem with BJJ is ground-fighting. It's perhaps the worst things for self defense. Are you really going to try to put me in a submission while i'm trying to beat you up and shoot or stab you on the ground? Are you going to be hugging and kissing me by then? Taking it to the ground is bad because you can't move well, your vision is limited, your body is exposed, list goes on.

Let's not forget multiple attackers and the environment. It's for those reasons that BJJ will get you beaten or killed on the streets. It's suitable mainly for sport or maybe if you're a bouncer or cop trying to subdue a criminal.

Kudos to bringing this to the fore front.

Haven’t got a chance to watch the video but I hope you point out that most if not all bjj techniques can be defeated by simply eye gouging, biting, or testicle grabbing.....or even better.... testicle biting.

Keep up the good fight.

OP
Isaiah90

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Haven’t got a chance to watch the video but I hope you point out that most if not all bjj techniques can be defeated by simply eye gouging, biting, or testicle grabbing.....or even better.... testicle biting.

Keep up the good fight.

Yea, this MMA fighter boasted he could apply an armbar even if his opponent bit his leg. One of my buds said "ok, let's try it.." MMA fighter applied the armbar and the guy gently bit his leg. MMA fighter jolted and let go instantly, allowing him to escape. Goes to show BJJ isn't made for self defense like most people seem to think.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm kinda at a loss

how did your bud bite his leg if he was in an arm bar

OP
Isaiah90

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Keep up the good fight.

Yea, this MMA fighter boasted he could apply an armbar even if his opponent bit his leg. One of my buds said "ok, let's try it.." MMA fighter applied the armbar and the guy gently bit his leg. MMA fighter jolted and let go instantly, allowing him to escape. Goes to show BJJ isn't made for self defense like most people seem to think.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is one of my favorite things written in a long while.

When you grapple, you briefly expose your body to get attacked with strikes. I even tested it out in sparring. Put my opponent in a rear-naked choke and he hit me in the face with a pretend melee weapon.

A pretend melee weapon. That is so damn adorable I want to give you a hug.

But, alas, it is my duty to inform you you are heretofore banished from the Island of Maui. Should you come to Maui you will be turned away at the airport.
I only wish he had said “bonked”.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm kinda at a loss

how did your bud bite his leg if he was in an arm bar

Double leg over arm bar. You can get the back of the leg.

And the only thing they can do to make you let go is break your arm.

But once your arm is broken you can use that to escape and you still have that bite

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Keep up the good fight.
Another one who's never trained it in his life

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

But once your arm is broken you can use that to escape and you still have that bite

Thanks lol

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

so basically is he saying that bjj is no good cause he teaches biting ?

Jacky Zuki

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Obvious jest-fodder aside, I'm interested in the line that BJJ has no striking in it. I did Atemi Jujutsu for a while before I took up Karate and really enjoyed it as a fairly all-round self-defence system. I clearly remember punches and low kicks being trained as one of the basics. It wasn't extensive but it was practical and not just dismissed as being out-of-style. It was also expected that you would test all your performance of the techniques against the inability of escape, the degree of control over your opponent and covering any possible retaliation such as punches or biting. I find it hard to believe that all this is absent from BJJ given its reputation, longevity and success in the ring. Can someone who trains in BJJ set my mind at rest please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions