Want to learn self defense? Advice or tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
1. I know what you mean what represents an art. I'm not saying that an art isn't effective due to teachers. I'm basing it only on experience. I stated before that the techniques taught to me were useless mostly because they don't properly drill it. Most of the time they drill it for only a day.

2. How does one apply a disarm technique. Or a grapple technique especially when everyone in my family are too busy? The only things I do is I hit the bags and (used to) hit the wooden dummy on my own time whenever I have the chance. From my understanding, taking techniques from school requires one other person. Something that no one in my family has the time for.

3. I know what you mean by where one art isn't more effective than another. But you don't honestly believe that a guy that only knows kicking can take down another guy that knows how to punch, kick, elbow, grapple, and clinch? I know some taekwondo organizations like ITF incorporates punching if that's what you're talking about.

4. Every martial art has risk. Sure. That is if we're talking about Brain damage here. Kendo,fencing,HEMA,BJJ, (mabye) Judo, (mabye) aikido would beg the differ.

5. If someone punched me in the face then I did something wrong. That's why I mentioned to you before that I want to learn the mental side of self defense. Besides getting attacked from behind is something you're not MEANT to be prepared for anyways. It's not about being tough or "dealing" with it.
I've been punched before IN SPARRING but does that mean I will get used to getting hit from behind IN PUBLIC? No, that's not how it works.

1. You have very little experience to draw on, based on everything you've said.

2. Find a training partner / go through the moves / research and think about application. Having a partner is best, but not the only way of doing homework.

3. If someone only knows kicking, they don't know TKD. At all really. They might know the Olympic style game, but that's it.

4. You keep on about brain damage like everyone who participates is guaranteed to end up a vegetable. It's a risk with anything - grappling arts you could misjudge and hit your head, running for the bus you could slip and hit your head...

5. If you think any art at all can guarantee you'll not get hit unless you do something wrong, then you've either been drastically misled or you've watched too many films.

I never said from behind. If someone squares up to you face to face and you accept the fight, you're probably going to get hit. These "end a fight in 3 seconds with one technique" ads are absolute balls. All of them. If that's what you want, you need virtual reality.

Think how hard a boxer can punch, they almost never win with one hit, especially without taking a few themselves.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I never stated it as a style? I stated I was in a school that was part of WTF?

You are seriously wasting my time with these misinterpretations.

Edit: Omg was it because I said "WTF school" seriously..... dude. I could have said the same with ATA school... jesus.

An ATA school is a thing.

There's no such thing as a WTF school, never was.

OP
U

ukam61500

White Belt
Reaction score
An ATA school is a thing.

There's no such thing as a WTF school, never was.

Never was until last year... seriously bunch of smartass on this forum with little to no help at all.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh, and...

Seriously, be honest about this.

What help were you expecting?

Did you want to be reassured that you were making the right choice, that your experience of the arts you've lightly dabbled in is universal?

Did you want someone to recommend something where you'll learn to win any fight without getting touched?

Seeing as I've been bunched in the smartass group, try this on for size:

Don't worry about brain damage, by definition you need something to damage first before it can be a problem.

OP
U

ukam61500

White Belt
Reaction score
Omg
1. You have very little experience to draw on, based on everything you've said.

2. Find a training partner / go through the moves / research and think about application. Having a partner is best, but not the only way of doing homework.

3. If someone only knows kicking, they don't know TKD. At all really. They might know the Olympic style game, but that's it.

4. You keep on about brain damage like everyone who participates is guaranteed to end up a vegetable. It's a risk with anything - grappling arts you could misjudge and hit your head, running for the bus you could slip and hit your head...

5. If you think any art at all can guarantee you'll not get hit unless you do something wrong, then you've either been drastically misled or you've watched too many films.

I never said from behind. If someone squares up to you face to face and you accept the fight, you're probably going to get hit. These "end a fight in 3 seconds with one technique" ads are absolute balls. All of them. If that's what you want, you need virtual reality.

Think how hard a boxer can punch, they almost never win with one hit, especially without taking a few themselves.

Omg. Again your e not listening. I want to learn SELF DEFENSE not be in a fight. God.

Think about application? The love? Simply thinking is not enough you must do.

Then what is taekwondo now? Because all I'm seeing is a bunch of kickers whenever I go to a tkd tournament.

The chances of anything ever happening is random. Judo and aikido take those away and you have jiu jitsu and wrestling. I'm not seeing any slams or brain damage in my local highschool wrestling tournaments here.

I never said anything about art. All I'm talking about is self defense BOTH MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY. Read my original post for crying out loud.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never stated it as a style? I stated I was in a school that was part of WTF?

That's the point. There ARE no schools affiliated with WT. The only groups affiliated with WT are national governing bodies for that nations Olympic team. Because it's not a style. It's a sports governing body. That's all.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Then what is taekwondo now? Because all I'm seeing is a bunch of kickers whenever I go to a tkd tournament.

They're playing a game, the points system favours kicking by awarding higher scores for foot use. I'd need to score on 4 punches to get the same points as a single (certain) kick.

Omg. Again your e not listening. I want to learn SELF DEFENSE not be in a fight. God.

If a self defence situation reaches the physical level, it's a fight.

If you (try to) strike first, you're likely to be interpreted as the aggressor...

I'm not seeing any slams or brain damage in my local highschool wrestling tournaments here

And I'm not seeing any brain damage from my TKD or kickboxing classes either...

OP
U

ukam61500

White Belt
Reaction score
OP
U

ukam61500

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes, link it.

Then one of us can show you where you're wrong.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ndo/40391326&usg=AOvVaw1V_6iCWeDELMC9repsQmca

World Taekwondo - Wikipedia

And if you type in World taekwondo federation name change on Google notice that all the articles are created on June. The same date on the wiki.

Seriously you guys are not helping at all.

Either the brain damage really did come up to you guys or just plain stupid. You guys seriously don't know how to read.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Research it. Look at the wiki or do I have to link it for you?

Wiki? Why not a link to the WTs own site? Like THIS ONE, where I encourage you to read the "About" tab. Notice the complete lack of a curriculum. Or rank awarded. Or schools.
Now, you're far from the first person to make this mistake. And I doubt you'll be the last either. But calling people names when all they've done is correct your mistake isn't going to get you very far.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwi5pOOQqPjZAhVmxFQKHVkPAXoQFggwMAI&url=http://www.bbc.com/sport/taekwondo/40391326&usg=AOvVaw1V_6iCWeDELMC9repsQmca

World Taekwondo - Wikipedia

And if you type in World taekwondo federation name change on Google notice that all the articles are created on June. The same date on the wiki.

Seriously you guys are not helping at all.

Either the brain damage really did come up to you guys or just plain stupid. You guys seriously don't know how to read.

Yes, they changed the name.

They didn't change their structure to become a system that schools can teach or affiliate themselves with.

OP
U

ukam61500

White Belt
Reaction score
Wiki? Why not a link to the WTs own site? Like THIS ONE, where I encourage you to read the "About" tab. Notice the complete lack of a curriculum. Or rank awarded. Or schools.
Now, you're far from the first person to make this mistake. And I doubt you'll be the last either. But calling people names when all they've done is correct your mistake isn't going to get you very far.

I don't know how they make their business but I've seen this kind of thing before. So..

OP
U

ukam61500

White Belt
Reaction score
Right. They teach Kukkiwon TKD. That's a style.

Alright I'm done with this thread.

Googled kukkikwon and it says they are a governing body. I'm done. You guys are derailing my own thread.

OP
U

ukam61500

White Belt
Reaction score
So you've seen people get it wrong before so that makes you right?

Clearly you're some deranged taekwondo fanatic that I shouldn't be talking with in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions