Status
Not open for further replies.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What the heck is that?
I wish I could come up with something clever and witty, but the truth is far more comical than anything any of us can come up with. Unless of course we’ve got Dave Chappelle posting here, and even then it’ll be tough...

That’s his gun defense. Seriously.

(Mic drop)

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
After seeing that gun defense....I will no longer carry a gun since I now see how useless it is and how easily I could be disarmed.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
After seeing that gun defense....I will no longer carry a gun since I now see how useless it is and how easily I could be disarmed.

A sword is where it is at.

Although I carry one forthe same reason he does. To make myself less dangerous.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's an explanation why people should stop teaching BJJ for self defense.

Little to no striking
- BJJ has little to no striking. BJJ claims that you can subdue an attacker peacefully without striking or kicking. The problem is that if you have to avoid strikes and kicks to counter them, your art is weak in those areas. If you have to use strikes or kicks, you acknowledge grappling isn't enough to engage in combat.

The lack of training to deal with realistic strikes or kicks is going to set you up to get beaten. BJJ practitioners who got attacked on the streets were repeatedly punched in the head. Some got beat up. That's not self-defense. More like self-expense.

The rules in BJJ restrict what you can do as far as striking and kicking among other things except grappling. This video demonstrates how real ground-fighting looks like in the streets.

No weapons - Second problem with BJJ is lack of weapons training. If you're not training to deal with weapons like knives or guns, you're setting yourself up to get seriously hurt or killed. Most BJJ practitioners who get attacked are shot, stabbed, or beaten to death with weapons. When you grapple, you briefly expose your body to get attacked with strikes. I even tested it out in sparring. Put my opponent in a rear-naked choke and he hit me in the face with a pretend melee weapon.

Worse, you got these BJJ guys teaching static and flashy unrealistic techniques. They only work when your opponent is complying. They look something like this.

This is the reality.

Ground-fighting is terrible for self defense - Last problem with BJJ is ground-fighting. It's perhaps the worst things for self defense. Are you really going to try to put me in a submission while i'm trying to beat you up and shoot or stab you on the ground? Are you going to be hugging and kissing me by then? Taking it to the ground is bad because you can't move well, your vision is limited, your body is exposed, list goes on.

Let's not forget multiple attackers and the environment. It's for those reasons that BJJ will get you beaten or killed on the streets. It's suitable mainly for sport or maybe if you're a bouncer or cop trying to subdue a criminal.
Having a basic understanding of the style you're criticizing is a great place to start. Judging by your videos, wording and overall explanation of BJJ, it seems you lack that basic understanding.

The only thing I can agree on is the knife defense in the video is poor.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I wish I could come up with something clever and witty, but the truth is far more comical than anything any of us can come up with. Unless of course we’ve got Dave Chappelle posting here, and even then it’ll be tough...

(Mic drop)

Im telling you the guy related to Baldrick

dunc

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you know how to defend an arm bar then you can put up a good fight and frustrate it

But...

You have to have the experience to pre-empt the arm bar attack

And...

This only comes from training (and sparring) with people who are skilled at hitting arm bars from lots of different situations

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

(Mic drop)

Well, it worked.

Of course it helps that the person holding the gun obviously has his mind on a pretty girl somewhere who is probably the sister of the defender. I wonder what would happen if he really tried to shoot the defender?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow! People spend lots of money on kicking bags when a simple trip to the trash heap will yield results like that.

Actually, it kind of reminds me of how I felt I looked when I first started studying Hapkido.
Why do I continually underestimate the level of stupidity out there?

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've reread these threads and changed my mind. From here on out I'm abandoning Wing Chun, Mui Thai, BJJ, and boxing. They will probably get me beaten or killed.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've reread these threads and changed my mind. From here on out I'm abandoning Wing Chun, Mui Thai, BJJ, and boxing. They will probably get me beaten or killed.
Agreed. You should switch to an obscure art. Nobody on YouTube has said those are dangerous, so they are clearly the best.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Agreed. You should switch to an obscure art. Nobody on YouTube has said those are dangerous, so they are clearly the best.

I was all set to recommend one. Then I realized it is so obscure I couldn't remember its name.

(Admit it, you knew that was coming, right?)

OP
Isaiah90

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You are once again confounding sport rules with the curriculum of an art. Sport BJJ doesn't deal with punches...except when it's being trained for MMA purposes, then it does. But there's a range of approaches to BJJ, including a SD approach.

And ground fighting is actually NOT terrible for SD. If you are on the ground, ground fighting is excellent for SD. While I could agree that choosing ground fighting as a go-to is not always a good choice, you're far overstating the point.

And lastly, weapons training is far from a universal solution. It helps, but only if you actually have a weapon to hand. In many places, a stick (in the form of a cane or such) is the best weapon folks can hope to have with them.

You have an idealized view of things. I recommend you find some folks who are open to sharing ideas and spend some time on the mats with them. Share your thoughts, and find out what theirs are. Specifically, look for where they have counter-arguments to your thoughts - that's how we best test our conclusions. I once thought ground fighting was an awful idea. Then I learned a bit more of it, and realized it has a place. That started with someone emphasizing that the point of learning ground fighting was to be able to defend yourself if you end up there. I listened and learned, and added ground fighting to my toolset.

BJJ is unlikely to get someone killed (though I don't consider it optimal for a lot of situations). Having mistaken notions of their skillset, a poor understanding of SD situations and training, or ignoring tools that are useful just might get someone hurt, though.

lol you didn't explain why ground-fighting is good for self defense or why any form of BJJ works on the street.

Yea, just practice them for fun or something. Don't use them in self defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.