Status
Not open for further replies.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Obvious jest-fodder aside, I'm interested in the line that BJJ has no striking in it. I did Atemi Jujutsu for a while before I took up Karate and really enjoyed it as a fairly all-round self-defence system. I clearly remember punches and low kicks being trained as one of the basics. It wasn't extensive but it was practical and not just dismissed as being out-of-style. It was also expected that you would test all your performance of the techniques against the inability of escape, the degree of control over your opponent and covering any possible retaliation such as punches or biting. I find it hard to believe that all this is absent from BJJ given its reputation, longevity and success in the ring. Can someone who trains in BJJ set my mind at rest please?
Atemi Jujutsu as in Pariset Jujutsu?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is one of my favorite things written in a long while.

When you grapple, you briefly expose your body to get attacked with strikes. I even tested it out in sparring. Put my opponent in a rear-naked choke and he hit me in the face with a pretend melee weapon.

A pretend melee weapon. That is so damn adorable I want to give you a hug.

But, alas, it is my duty to inform you you are heretofore banished from the Island of Maui. Should you come to Maui you will be turned away at the airport.

Damn you Buka, the only button I don't want to press is 'dislike' - it's gonna take a while to decide...

And isn't it adorable?

I do wonder if a kitten batting some string is there thinking "I'm so the ultimate hunting and killing machine" :D

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Obvious jest-fodder aside, I'm interested in the line that BJJ has no striking in it. I did Atemi Jujutsu for a while before I took up Karate and really enjoyed it as a fairly all-round self-defence system. I clearly remember punches and low kicks being trained as one of the basics. It wasn't extensive but it was practical and not just dismissed as being out-of-style. It was also expected that you would test all your performance of the techniques against the inability of escape, the degree of control over your opponent and covering any possible retaliation such as punches or biting. I find it hard to believe that all this is absent from BJJ given its reputation, longevity and success in the ring. Can someone who trains in BJJ set my mind at rest please?
BJJ contains strikes. However
1) They are mostly used to set up grappling techniques rather than being used for their own sake.
2) Many schools which are primarily focused on sport competition will leave them out of the curriculum.
3) Many BJJ practitioners will cross train in a specialized striking art rather than limiting themselves to the striking which is traditionally part of BJJ.

Jacky Zuki

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Atemi Jujutsu as in Pariset Jujutsu?

Pariset doesn't ring a bell, the club didn't advertise a style but I was told it was Atemi Jujutsu at the time. The instructor was a Franco-German research assistant at the university and Wikipedia seems to indicate its European roots are French so it could have been. Unfortunately the club folded when he moved to Gothenburg which was a shame as I was just starting to get into it and there were no more Jujutsu opportunities in the area.

BJJ contains strikes. However
1) They are mostly used to set up grappling techniques rather than being used for their own sake.
2) Many schools which are primarily focused on sport competition will leave them out of the curriculum.
3) Many BJJ practitioners will cross train in a specialized striking art rather than limiting themselves to the striking which is traditionally part of BJJ.

Yes, the strikes we used were mainly to counter a striker on his feet and get him to the ground, which seems practical for a grappling art.

OP
Isaiah90

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Double leg over arm bar. You can get the back of the leg.

And the only thing they can do to make you let go is break your arm.

But once your arm is broken you can use that to escape and you still have that bite

If you prevent the extension of your arm, they can't break it.

now disabled

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yea, my attacker lol.

Look with all due respect

You have absolutely no concept of distance, body movement , body mechanics or dynamics ...you obviously will not accept that you really do not know what your trying to teach.

Dude in that vid with the nerf gun you got popped everytime !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! umm should that not tell you something ????????????????

As another poster said you are trying to tell people that you have "sorted the flaws" or the other arts. You don't know those arts and that is obvious.

the vid of you doing your choke hold ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so help me dude you have no conception of distance or awareness at all. You have offered free lessons on here and jeez if any take it up (I doubt it) your gonna look like a dork (Sorry) as they will go through you big time as your wide open everytime totally wide open as you got zero concept behind what you are teaching or trying to teach.

There is way way way more to what you are doing than merely applying a tech ...good grief I could teach you in 5 mins how to put a wrist lock on. However could you do that in a situation ??? no as you don't have all the rest that goes with it and that is seriously what your not getting, The guys that really know are trying to tell you that , listen be humble go actually study and stop running round like an ant with his behind on fire showing vids that just don't make the grade

sorry if I offended anyone

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
When one doesn't know what one doesn't know but thinks one does know; one often shows, as in the original post, one is mostly ignorant (as to the above subject).
The original post is loud and clear as to such ignorance.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
my chi balls of death

and well I'd buy a wheelbarrow

Buster_gonad_viz_comic.jpg

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yea, this MMA fighter boasted he could apply an armbar even if his opponent bit his leg. One of my buds said "ok, let's try it.." MMA fighter applied the armbar and the guy gently bit his leg. MMA fighter jolted and let go instantly, allowing him to escape. Goes to show BJJ isn't made for self defense like most people seem to think.

I'm kinda at a loss

how did your bud bite his leg if he was in an arm bar

I assume the arm bar he's talking about juji-gatame, where your leg goes over the opponent's face.

I also assume the "MMA fighter" (if he existed at all) was another YouTube-trained wannabee.

For the record, I have experimented with letting my training partners try to bite their way out of my juji-gatame. It doesn't work. Firstly, the way I apply the position makes it really hard for the opponent to get a good bite. Secondly, it's easy for me to break the arm (even going slowly) before they can inflict any damage (or even significant pain) with the bite.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you really want to learn a deadly Brazilian art for street fighting....Learn Capoeira....which is spanish for the art of the fighting chicken originating from the cockfighting pits of Tijuana by the great but deadly El Diablo. El Diablo's motto which still rings true today....if your not first your last.

OP
Isaiah90

Isaiah90

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Look with all due respect

You have absolutely no concept of distance, body movement , body mechanics or dynamics ...you obviously will not accept that you really do not know what your trying to teach.

Dude in that vid with the nerf gun you got popped everytime !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! umm should that not tell you something ????????????????

As another poster said you are trying to tell people that you have "sorted the flaws" or the other arts. You don't know those arts and that is obvious.

the vid of you doing your choke hold ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so help me dude you have no conception of distance or awareness at all. You have offered free lessons on here and jeez if any take it up (I doubt it) your gonna look like a dork (Sorry) as they will go through you big time as your wide open everytime totally wide open as you got zero concept behind what you are teaching or trying to teach.

There is way way way more to what you are doing than merely applying a tech ...good grief I could teach you in 5 mins how to put a wrist lock on. However could you do that in a situation ??? no as you don't have all the rest that goes with it and that is seriously what your not getting, The guys that really know are trying to tell you that , listen be humble go actually study and stop running round like an ant with his behind on fire showing vids that just don't make the grade

sorry if I offended anyone

lol you a keyboard martial artist. Same goes for the other trolls on my posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions