What Is A McDojo?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I had to take time to really focus on my personal training after I started teaching. Teaching takes time. I work hard to put together lessons and to look for ways to improve my classes for my students. When I'm teaching, I tend to only 'train' in the capacity of being a partner. My main function is to see what my students are doing and to help identify and correct training issues.
Ain't that the truth! And it's easy to slip into the Instructor mind set/lifestyle. You don't really lose skill but what you have tends to atrophy slowly and it takes special effort beyond what it used to in order to "grow" in your art. Every martial arts instructor I've ever discussed the subject with has said something similar.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Martial arts were originally for warriors. ... I have always believed that martial arts were for warriors, protectors, the sheepdogs.
Sure, warriors, soldiers, protectors, law enforcement, etc. But none of those professions necessitate a svelte, trim physique. Of all of them, soldiers are probably the only ones who's profession enforces regular fitness to any great degree.

But all fighting systems are not military in nature. Hapkido was developed as civilian self defense outside of the military. Western fencing (historical, classical, or sport) was developed as civilian self defence for gentlemen and the weapons used had little military applicability. Boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, etc. are also not "warrior" specific.

Then you have sumo, where obesity is kind of a given.

In any case, morbid obesity is certainly problematic for a good number of reasons, but it's problematic mainly for the health of the person themselves and this should not be conflated with McDojo-ism and also is unlikely to cause someone to die of exertion in an encounter that exceeds forty seconds.

One other thought is that while anyone weighing 420 pounds is facing some serious health risks, being exceptionally thin is no guarantee of being in the pink of health. Also, norms of what constitutes being simply overweight shift from time to time.

As far as instructors go, the ability to transmit knowledge and skill is separate from being exceptionally skilled as a technician. A good instructor who has suffered a debilitating injury that prevents him or her from demonstrating certain techniques will find a way to get the job done. Usually via a senior student or assistant instructor. Same goes for someone who's weight, size, or age makes certain techniques difficult for them to demonstrate.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You have to understand, I HATE my self. I hate what I am. I struggle every day to deal with it. I have always believed that martial arts were for warriors. Warriors are not as big as I am.
Of course you feel this way. That's what our society has been telling you since you were born. It's a perfectly natural and normal reaction. Everyone talks about the Barbie effect and the Body Dismorphic issues that we're foisting upon our girls, but what no one talks about is that it's just as much a sham being foisted upon men as well.

http://www.livescience.com/973-men-muscle-body-image-problems.html

Thus I am fighting to rid my self of this poison.
Trying to get to a more healthy weight is only one element of this. Another is to actively avoid reinforcing artificial body image stereotypes.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agreed. I don't expect a martial arts teacher to have cut muscles like a movie star, I sure as hell don't, but they should not be obese. How can they teach people to be more fit, to be fast and strong and strike hard and have endurance, if they're 100 pounds overweight? My personal experience is that people who are at that level of obesity often struggle to even just walk a mile - how can they lead an intense workout class?
Because not all martial arts are about being "fit." At least not by Western standards. They're about hurting people and breaking their toys. Often being "fit" can facilitate those goals. Sometimes it's irrelevant.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How is it a fantasy? Martial arts were originally for warriors. I think its a little disingenuous to say its a fantasy. Saying I have a fantasy is a subtle way to say you think im a child on his mommies computer.. Sorry I am not a child, I have always believed that martial arts were for warriors, protectors, the sheepdogs. This view point does not make me immature nor does it mean I live in a fantasy.
Quick Question:

This picture here =
A) Fat Assed, Flabby-Gut, Man-Boobs, lazy slacker
or
B) A painting of actual Shaolin Monks from the Monastery?
$Shaolin-painting.jpg

This picture =
A) Slope-shouldered out-of-shape dough-boy
or
B) Kublai Khan, bad-assed conquering Mongol Emperor of doom?
$2004-6-5-kubraikhan.jpg

This picture here =
A) Unrealistic, comic-book inspired fantasy
or
B) What martial artists and "warriors" are supposed to look like?
$wing-chun-kung-fu-manual-723934-1-s-307x512.jpg

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Quick Question:

This picture here =
A) Fat Assed, Flabby-Gut, Man-Boobs, lazy slacker
or
B) A painting of actual Shaolin Monks from the Monastery?
View attachment 18408

This picture =
A) Slope-shouldered out-of-shape dough-boy
or
B) Kublai Khan, bad-assed conquering Mongol Emperor of doom?
View attachment 18409

This picture here =
A) Unrealistic, comic-book inspired fantasy
or
B) What martial artists and "warriors" are supposed to look like?
View attachment 18410

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
I'd just like to know how in the hell they got my picture on the cover of that WC DVD!
:rolleyes:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How is it a fantasy? Martial arts were originally for warriors. I think its a little disingenuous to say its a fantasy. Saying I have a fantasy is a subtle way to say you think im a child on his mommies computer.. Sorry I am not a child, I have always believed that martial arts were for warriors, protectors, the sheepdogs. This view point does not make me immature nor does it mean I live in a fantasy.

For starters the last warrior I saw was at the air port he was flying home from Iraq and he was wearing a uniform. Can't say I've seen much more then house wives, accountants, business men, and kids at the dojo. Hell I'm a cop, been on SWAT for several years when I was younger, and a former Marine and I don't consider myself a "warrior". How many battles has your instructors been in? Mine grew in is the projects of Miami he's been in tons of life or death fights he dosent think he's a warrior.
I'm not saying your a kid but I do think you have some fantasy view of martial arts if you believe that are for warriors.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Because not all martial arts are about being "fit." At least not by Western standards. They're about hurting people and breaking their toys. Often being "fit" can facilitate those goals. Sometimes it's irrelevant.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Research into the old gladiators diet showed them to be slightly over weight and ate a high caloric diet. As already mentioned the fatty layer was vital to protect them from serious injuries when slashed and cut.

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
For starters the last warrior I saw was at the air port he was flying home from Iraq and he was wearing a uniform. Can't say I've seen much more then house wives, accountants, business men, and kids at the dojo. Hell I'm a cop, been on SWAT for several years when I was younger, and a former Marine and I don't consider myself a "warrior". How many battles has your instructors been in? Mine grew in is the projects of Miami he's been in tons of life or death fights he dosent think he's a warrior.
I'm not saying your a kid but I do think you have some fantasy view of martial arts if you believe that are for warriors.

Before my gym closed, my instructor served in Iraq as well. I consider him a warrior. You have your definition of warrior I have mine. Just because my view of something is different then yours does not mean I live in a fantasy.

This whole discussion is moot now for me at least.. I just got some really bad news today regarding my son and I may have to quit martial arts to pay for his specialized needs...

So that being what it is, if I have to stop MA, then im going to dive full time into HIIT and obliterate this problem.

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Honestly how many fights did that Khan guy actually get into him self. By necessity leaders don't go to the front lines and fight.. Id rather have the bad *** looking fit and trim WC guy having my back any day and twice on sunday..

Whats even funnier is that post I made about hating my self I didn't even intend to post. It was what was on my mind and I just let it out. That was probably the most intensely personal post I have ever made on this forum.

Look I don't trust heavy people because I don't trust my self and my ability to deal with attacks. Sure I have sparred many 5x5 mma rounds but that does not mean I can handle a real fight.. Its because I don't trust my self I don't trust others that are over weight.

Im not alone in this either, its a common thought on sherdog as well. They don't respect over weight instructors, for the same reasons I stated. There are a lot of professional fighters over there as well. Its hard to discount what they have to say.

I get im projecting my insecurities on them. I also just came to the realization I likely have a damned eating disorder.

Edit to add, In case you were wondering, I tend to open my mind and let flow out what it is im feeling. Some times it feels good to get this out..

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Im hoping that it wont come down to me quiting ma, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Honestly how many fights did that Khan guy actually get into him self. By necessity leaders don't go to the front lines and fight.. Id rather have the bad *** looking fit and trim WC guy having my back any day and twice on sunday..

Um.... he wasn't exactly elected to the position of ruler of the Mongol Horde...

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im hoping that it wont come down to me quiting ma, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Discuss the situation with your teachers or prospective teachers. They may be able yo work something out...

I hope your son is OK.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Honestly how many fights did that Khan guy actually get into him self. By necessity leaders don't go to the front lines and fight..
It was part of their tradition and culture.

Id rather have the bad *** looking fit and trim WC guy having my back any day and twice on sunday..
He's not real.

Whats even funnier is that post I made about hating my self I didn't even intend to post. It was what was on my mind and I just let it out. That was probably the most intensely personal post I have ever made on this forum.
We appreciate the compliment. We're glad that you feel you can be more honest here than elsewhere. You're among friends.

Im not alone in this either, its a common thought on sherdog as well. They don't respect over weight instructors, for the same reasons I stated.
I know. Like I wrote, it's common.

There are a lot of professional fighters over there as well. Its hard to discount what they have to say.
If you look in the Heavy Weight divisions, you'll see more than one fighter with a bit of love-handles.

I get im projecting my insecurities on them. I also just came to the realization I likely have a damned eating disorder.
That sucks. My wife is a State Certified Counselor. Through her, I've learned a lot about many of these sort of difficulties. You know there's something deeper which is troubling you. The Internet isn't the right place to try to identify and treat it. If you really believe this is an issue for you, please try to find someone who can counsel you. Sometimes your Church will have free counseling services for members.

Edit to add, In case you were wondering, I tend to open my mind and let flow out what it is im feeling. Some times it feels good to get this out..
It can feel cathartic but it probably doesn't help in the long run except for occasional personal revelations such as you think you might have just had.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Honestly how many fights did that Khan guy actually get into him self. By necessity leaders don't go to the front lines and fight..
Probably a lot. As was observed earlier, you don't get elected to be the leader of the Mongol Horde. Looking like a body builder doesn't mean much. A lot of football players, while obviously strong and possessing a lot of endurance, are not that ripped and cut. Also, look at the physiques of Vaslily Alexeyev in his prime and compare him to Mr. Universe/Olympia (any year). If you picked the stronger man by the cut of his physique, you'd have picked the wrong man.

Id rather have the bad *** looking fit and trim WC guy having my back any day and twice on sunday..
Keep him. I'll take Big Van Vader. :D

Attachments

• $9754-mask-promotional_image-vader-wwf.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 415

Kframe

Black Belt
Reaction score
Things are looking up, we may qualify for some assistance with the specialized school he has to go to now.. He is only 7(autistic) and got removed permanently from the public school because they just cant deal with someone on the spectrum. Hopefully we get approved for his SSD and that will cover all his special needs therapy and schooling..

I get it guys I shouldn't project my self hatred on these other teachers.. Judge lest ye be judged. I just have a hard time imagining them being athletic when the hammer drop. Its fricking stupid of me to think that, come to think of it. Considering that at 330lbs I did a 5x5 sparring and a 4x5(4 rounds 5 mins) on the same day and didn't drop till the end of the nearly hour of straight up sparring..

I want to get some counciling but I don't want to risk finances till I get my son sorted out. I may not need the help then. Illl feel a hell of a lot better when im under 300 for good(again.. ill never take a dietary holiday again.. )

Part of my desire to be trim is that I wanted to do a cage fight. At my height(5'8") and reach(70") the 155-165lb weight class was perfect for me. Now that im starting Budo taijutsu I need to put my desire to fight on the burner. Cage fighting isn't compatible with the ideals of the art.

To add to the mcdojo discussion.

How about tips for newbies. Things inexperienced can look for to tip them off.

I have a few to start it off.

I visited a local karate place, before I found the BBT.

He Claimed to be a high rank in tkd,karate, arinis and some kind of jiujitsu. When I asked him which kinds, he would not tell me which flavor of tkd or karate he was, nor who his instructors were or where he trained. His beginner adult class was 30mins twice aweek, until you hit a certain belt then you could go to the regular class. All the while the tuition was $100 a month on contract. Imagine spending that much time in a beginner class till you get rank up to join the proper class. You cant learn anything in 30 mins twice a week.

That is my contribution to the spotting the mcdojo for newbs idea.

Latest Discussions