McDojo defined

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Stickboxer,

What I ment was, there were people that were full of "ego" that they wanted to get to the next rank. I wasn't worried about it (rank). I enjoyed the challege of the test, but I wasn't one of those "in a rush" to get to the next rank. If I passed a test, I would be excited, but I'd get back to training soon after. I wouldn't dwell on it or rub it in people's faces, like a certain few did.

OP
S

Stickboxer

When I was an orange belt in Tae Kwon Do, I remember working out with other adult students in a separate room while children tested. In the back, I was going through some stretches with other students of the same level. After going through our required form and one-steps several times, we then proceeded to practice some of the more advanced kicks we knew they'd challenge us with by asking us to try them.

Meanwhile, a couple brown belts sat off to the side and watched us, critiquing us all the while. I overheard one of them comment, “I’m glad we’re not orange belts. Orange belts don’t know anything.” They then proceeded to make fun of no one in particular, thank god, but did put down the idea of anyone at a belt level lower than themselves. They even went so far as to say that lower belts were worthless.

I wanted to say something to them, to ask them, “Weren’t you guys once orange belts yourselves at one time?” But instead, because of their higher rank and the school rule of addressing seniors with respect, I said nothing. Besides, I had a better condolence: we were working out and getting better while these higher belts were sitting on their butts! It wouldn’t be long before we’d bypass these jokers in our skills.

I bring this up because it seemed like those guys were too content in their level, which in this school was still a couple levels from black. Its interesting to note that these guys were ironically different from the norm in that they WEREN’T anxious to get to the next belt! Instead, they were egotistical and wanted to rest on their laurels, without really acknowledging the work one puts in to reach that level. You’d think they’d actually reach black before quitting and thinking they’re bulletproof.

This leads into the question of why black belts quit. I don’t really know. Anyone care to elaborate? I wholeheartedly agree that reaching black belt is just a beginning... a starting point from which to launch off. Its like spending years in elementary school learning the alphabet, vocabulary, and grammar, and once in high school or college, you finally begin to write great compositions. Maybe that’s why many martial organizations I’ve heard of don’t allow people to open their own schools until they’re reached at least a third degree black belt.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I totally agree, Stickboxer.

As far as why BB's quit, I haven't seen this in either of the schools I was in. Except for two BB's going off to the army (but that doesn't count). In my old school, you had to be 4th dan before opening your own school. This school, you have to be 2nd dan to teach (paid), and 3rd dan to open your own school.

I also think that black belt is just a advanced beginner. There is still so much to learn after that level. You learn the basics through the color belts, then "refine" everything after BB, plus learn more stuff. And all the instructors (3rd dans on up) I had still trained, at least, two days a week just like everyone else (except they trained with the GM). Even my new instructors.

Latest Discussions