Question regarding ATA Belt Testing

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To get back to the topic, in TKD block teaching isn't so horrible so long as the levels aren't too far apart. It's probably fine to have the first 2 or 3 beginning ranks learning the same material even if it is out of order for some. Greater a ranger than that, I would have some major concerns about it myself.

Block teaching is basically a convenience for school owners that have insufficient slots of time and not enough qualified teachers to suit all their students. This is a good problem to have business wise, but the style of pedagogy is not the best truly for students. IMO that's extended time spent with a teacher with small classes of 3-4, but this method isn't a money maker and honestly it's suited only for dedicated, serious learners.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To get back to the topic, in TKD block teaching isn't so horrible so long as the levels aren't too far apart. It's probably fine to have the first 2 or 3 beginning ranks learning the same material even if it is out of order for some. Greater a ranger than that, I would have some major concerns about it myself.

Block teaching is basically a convenience for school owners that have insufficient slots of time and not enough qualified teachers to suit all their students. This is a good problem to have business wise, but the style of pedagogy is not the best truly for students. IMO that's extended time spent with a teacher with small classes of 3-4, but this method isn't a money maker and honestly it's suited only for dedicated, serious learners.

As an instructor, I'll vote that tiny classes are not the best for some instructors. I tend to meddle too much when I have a very small class. My students do best when I have to leave them alone some and make them figure a few things out on their own. I know this, so have to make up work for myself if I have classes smaller than about 6 or 7 (which is almost always at present). I prefer classes in the 10-15 range - that seems to be where there's the right mix of instructor availability and student independence.

That said, I've met some instructors and students for whom those very small class sizes seem to work. The primary risk is over-teaching.

OP
A

ATAStudent83

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, great insight. From what I am gathering is block teaching is fine as long as its grouped belt appropriate. The class I attended was all White thru yellow with 1 cammo belt but the form being taught was from brown. I have made contact with the WTF affiliated school and set up what they call a new student orientation. They have more classes available during the week, more instructors and coaches for the same price as the ata school but without the Markups for stuff like the leadership program. It also affords my son and I the opportunity to earn a black belt reconized by the Kukkiwon once that level is achieved. I am not going to knock the ATA, they were really nice but given what I've read If the WTF school is good then my Son will be better served in the long run by the school with world wide recognition.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, great insight. From what I am gathering is block teaching is fine as long as its grouped belt appropriate. The class I attended was all White thru yellow with 1 cammo belt but the form being taught was from brown. I have made contact with the WTF affiliated school and set up what they call a new student orientation. They have more classes available during the week, more instructors and coaches for the same price as the ata school but without the Markups for stuff like the leadership program. It also affords my son and I the opportunity to earn a black belt reconized by the Kukkiwon once that level is achieved. I am not going to knock the ATA, they were really nice but given what I've read If the WTF school is good then my Son will be better served in the long run by the school with world wide recognition.
Ok. I am curious if you have tried a bjj class? no test fees and is an extremely effective martial art.

Leo89

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I wore cammo in the Marine Corps. wouldn't seem right elsewhere . ..
Maybe think of it as an entitied belt maybe? Like, one you're more entitied to wear, show em how aggressive and tactical a camo belt can be.

No offense, my grandfather's were in the service, they loved martial arts.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great, now I'm picturing you as Elvis, in his sparkly jumpsuit stage.

71632601_69bf95ab1c.jpg

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oh my days, I cannot now unsee that. Argh! Camel toe. :eek:o_O:arghh:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh my days, I cannot now unsee that. Argh! Camel toe. :eek:o_O:arghh:
Tez, those posts are even funnier in the obviously-not-quite-real British accent I've assigned to you in my head. It's part Monty Python and part Queen Mum.

OP
A

ATAStudent83

White Belt
Reaction score
Ok. I am curious if you have tried a bjj class? no test fees and is an extremely effective martial art.

Yes I have, BJJ is a large part of the Marine Corps Martial Arts curriculum and I did a few classes at a Gracie gym. I completely agree with you but I don't feel its a good fit for my 5 year old. I will absolutely look into taking him after he gets older although I may wait to cross him into another Martial Art until after he reaches 1st Poom

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes I have, BJJ is a large part of the Marine Corps Martial Arts curriculum and I did a few classes at a Gracie gym. I completely agree with you but I don't feel its a good fit for my 5 year old. I will absolutely look into taking him after he gets older although I may wait to cross him into another Martial Art until after he reaches 1st Poom
Semper Fi devil dog. Back when I was in we used to do line training... Total joke but the knife training and Close Quarters combat was really good. I got out back in 94 so it has been a while. 0311 here
I also run a kid's Brazilian Jiu Jitsu program. We have about 100 Kids of all ages. No submissions are allowed 4 kids until they're at least 7 years old so it's just about the self-defense and the positional transitions for the kids that age. Best of luck to you and your son in training.

OP
A

ATAStudent83

White Belt
Reaction score
Semper Fi devil dog. Back when I was in we used to do line training... Total joke but the knife training and Close Quarters combat was really good. I got out back in 94 so it has been a while. 0311 here
I also run a kid's Brazilian Jiu Jitsu program. We have about 100 Kids of all ages. No submissions are allowed 4 kids until they're at least 7 years old so it's just about the self-defense and the positional transitions for the kids that age. Best of luck to you and your son in training.

You inadvertently answered a question a didn't ask because this is a taekwando post. But my concern with BJJ as there Gracie Kids program that will take kids as early as 3 was submissions. I didn't think my kid would realize that he needed to tap and get hurt.