No scale at home? Three field tests for tai chi sword weight and balance

Jack Xu14 1

White Belt
A new jian showed up at my door last week, and before I even cut the tape on the box I caught myself doing what I always do: no scale, no ruler, just hands. Most buyers are in the same spot. The sword arrives, the spec sheet is buried in an email somewhere, and the kitchen scale tops out at a pound of flour. Here are the three checks I run in the first five minutes, all tool free.

Test one: the finger balance check. Rest the flat of the blade on one finger and slide until the sword floats level. That spot is the balance point. For forms work you want it about 3 inches in front of the guard. No ruler? An American dollar bill is a hair over 6 inches long. Fold it in half and you have 3 inches. Lay the folded bill from the guard outward. If the balance point lands near the far edge, you are in the right zone. Well past it, the sword will fight your wrist all night.

Test two: the water bottle comparison. Most adults do best with a total weight between 1.2 and 1.6 pounds. Nobody can feel a pound and a half in the abstract, but everyone knows a bottle of water. A full 16 ounce bottle is almost exactly 1 pound. A 1 liter bottle is 2.2. Your jian should feel much closer to the small bottle than the big one. If it feels like the liter bottle, it is too heavy for forms practice no matter what the listing promised.

Test three: the thirty second hold. Extend your arm, tip level, relaxed grip, and hold for thirty seconds. Shaking before twenty means the sword is too heavy for you today. That is not a character flaw, it is information. Wrist endurance builds fast, but you cannot build it on a sword that punishes you for trying.

A student of mine skipped all three tests last spring because her sword was pretty. Red tassel, nice scabbard, the works. By week four her wrist ached through the whole 32 form. We ran the dollar bill test together: the balance was nearly 5 inches out, and the thing hefted like the liter bottle. She swapped to a lighter jian balanced 3 inches out and the pain was gone in two weeks. Same student, same form, different numbers.

The point of all this: a tai chi jian should disappear into your hand. If you are thinking about the steel five minutes into practice, one of these three numbers is wrong, and now you can find out which one without buying a single tool.
 
Jack, this is a solid post and I think you are right on the money with the finger balance check. I am in the US and just getting into tai chi jian after messing around with a wooden sword for a while. The wooden one felt like a toy to me, so I get why people move to steel. But I also do not want to buy something that beats up my wrist.

Your dollar bill trick is clever. I tried it on a friend's jian and the balance point was way past the folded bill, maybe close to five inches from the guard. That thing felt heavy in a bad way. The water bottle comparison also makes sense. A 16 ounce bottle is about a pound, and a liter is over two pounds. Most of the training jian I see online claim around 1.3 to 1.5 pounds, which sounds fine on paper, but I have no idea if the balance is actually good until it is in my hand.

Here is what I want to ask you, since your post covers weight and balance but not everything.

First, what about blade stiffness. I used a wooden sword so I am used to zero flex. A lot of steel jian for tai chi are semi flexible, and some are really whippy. For a beginner doing the 32 form, should I stay away from the soft ones. I keep reading that soft swords are for performance and can be hard to control.

Second, what about the handle and the guard. Some jian have a long handle that fits two hands, some are short. I have medium hands. Does handle length change how the sword balances in practice, or is it mostly a comfort thing.

Third, what about the pommel and the tang. I saw a cheap jian where the pommel was loose and the handle creaked. Is that just a quality control issue, or does it mean the tang is not full. How do I check that in five minutes without taking the thing apart.

Fourth, what about the scabbard and the tassel. I do not care much about looks, but I do carry my sword to class. Does a heavy scabbard matter for everyday practice, or is it just for storage.

Fifth, what about the tip. Some jian have a sharp point and some are blunt. For solo forms and light partner work, is blunt fine, or should I get one with a real point.

Last thing. You said a tai chi jian should disappear into your hand. I like that. For a beginner in the US, what is the one number you would check first if you could only check one. Balance, total weight, or the thirty second hold.

Thanks for the post. It saved me from guessing.
 
Welcome to steel. You are asking exactly the right questions, so let me take them in order.

Stiffness: stay away from the really whippy ones, but do not fear all flex. The super soft blades you see in wushu demos are built for speed and flash, and they punish sloppy tip control. For the 32 form you want what sellers call semi flexible: the blade bends visibly when you press the tip, but it tracks straight through cuts and circles. A little flex is actually kind to a beginner wrist because it absorbs the shock of small mistakes. Zero flex like your wooden sword means every mistake lands in your joints.

Handle: for tai chi the standard handle is one handed, about 8 inches. A longer two handed handle does change the balance in practice, because the extra handle and pommel weight sits behind your grip and pulls the balance point back toward the hand. That makes the blade feel quicker but duller at the tip. With medium hands you do not need it. Standard length is standard for a reason.

Pommel and tang: a loose pommel and a creaking handle are not just quality control, they are how a bad tang introduces itself. What you want is a full tang, one solid piece of steel running from tip to pommel. Cheap swords often use a rat tail tang, a thin welded rod, and those can snap at the weld during fast moves. Five minute check: wrap the blade in a towel, grip it firm with one hand, and twist the handle with the other. Any movement at all, walk away. Then hold it by the blade and shake it next to your ear. Rattles mean loose fittings. A solid sword is silent.

Scabbard and tassel: the scabbard never touches your hand during practice, so its weight is irrelevant to your wrist. What matters for you is transport. A snug scabbard protects the tip in the car and keeps the blade dry. Cheap loose scabbards let the sword rattle around, and that is how tips get bent. The tassel is tradition plus honest feedback: it shows you whether your circles are smooth. Ignore both for looks, keep both for function.

Tip: blunt is fine and honestly preferred. For solo forms a point gives you nothing, and for partner work a real point is a hazard nobody wants in the room. Most tai chi practice jian ship with a rounded tip and unsharpened edges, and that is the correct tool. If a seller advertises a sharpened tai chi jian, that sword is aimed at collectors, not students.

And the one number: the balance point. Here is my reasoning. Weight is trainable, your wrist gets stronger in a month. But balance is baked into the steel, and it decides whether the sword works with you or against you on every single movement. A slightly heavy sword balanced at 3 inches feels alive. A light sword balanced at 5 inches feels like a crowbar. Your friend's jian is proof: you felt it immediately. Trust that feeling. It was the balance talking.

Good luck with the move to steel. You already have better instincts than most buyers.
 
Jack, thank you for this. The part about zero flex putting every mistake into your joints hit home. That was my wooden sword exactly.

I will run your towel twist and shake tests on the next one I look at.

A few quick questions if you have a minute.

How much bend should a semi flexible blade have. I see people say 30 degrees and others say 90. What is right for a beginner on the 32 form.

Can I confirm a full tang without pulling the handle off, or is the twist test as far as I can go.

Does the 3 inch balance point change with blade length. I am about 5 foot 10 and looking at a 28 inch blade.

And do you have any US dealers you would actually start with for a beginner metal jian in the 80 to 150 range, ones that stock what they sell.

Thanks again. This saved me a lot of guessing.
 
Good questions, all four.

Bend: degrees are a bad way to shop because nobody measures them the same way. Use the floor press instead. Put the tip on a carpeted floor, lean some weight into the grip, and watch the blade. For the 32 form you want a visible bow that springs back perfectly straight the moment you let off. If it folds like a ribbon, that is a wushu demo blade. If it barely moves, you are holding a stiff traditional sword, a fine tool but not what a beginner needs. Visible bow, clean recovery, no kink. That is the whole test.

Full tang: the twist and shake get you ninety percent of the way there. For the last ten percent, look at the pommel. A peened pommel, where you can see the tang end hammered over a block, or a pommel held by a real nut, is a good sign. A decorative cap pressed or glued on is a bad one. Beyond that, make the seller say it in writing. Any dealer who stocks what they sell will answer "is this full tang" within a day. Silence is also an answer.

Balance and length: yes, the balance point moves with blade length. Shorter blades carry it closer to the guard, longer ones further out, roughly two and a half to three and a half inches across the usual sizes. Now the honest part: at 5 foot 10, most charts put you on a 32, not a 28. Do the ear test before you commit. If the 28 comes up short of your ear it will feel quick but stubby in the forms, and reach matters in the 32 form. Between two sizes take the shorter one, but make sure you are actually between two sizes first.

Dealers: disclosure first, I run ICNBUYS Tai Chi Sword, so weigh this accordingly. Our Classic training jian is 99.99, inside your range: full tang, semi flexible blade, rosewood scabbard, and the specs on the page are the specs in the box. That is the one I stand behind, obviously. If you want to comparison shop, and you should, KungFuDirect and MartialArtSmart both stock real inventory stateside and publish actual specs. Wherever you end up buying, run your three tests the day the box arrives. Any sword that fails the dollar bill goes back.

You are doing this right. Measure first, fall in love later.
 
Jack, thanks for the straight answers. The floor press test makes more sense than chasing degrees. I will try that on the next one I handle.

I will also ask the seller to confirm full tang in writing. If they go quiet, I move on.

On length, I was leaning 28 but I will do the ear test before I commit. If a 32 feels right I will go that way. Better to check than guess.

Thanks for the disclosure about ICNBUYS. I will look at your Classic and also compare KungFuDirect and MartialArtSmart. A real photo of the pommel on the Classic would help me see how the tang end is finished.

I will run the dollar bill test the day the box arrives. If it fails, it goes back.

This is exactly what I needed. Thanks again.
 
A student of mine skipped all three tests last spring because her sword was pretty. Red tassel, nice scabbard, the works. By week four her wrist ached through the whole 32 form. We ran the dollar bill test together: the balance was nearly 5 inches out, and the thing hefted like the liter bottle. She swapped to a lighter jian balanced 3 inches out and the pain was gone in two weeks. Same student, same form, different numbers.

The point of all this: a tai chi jian should disappear into your hand. If you are thinking about the steel five minutes into practice, one of these three numbers is wrong, and now you can find out which one without buying a single tool.
how long time(weeks,months, years ?) do you let your students practice taijiquan before you let them start with taijijian?
 
how long time(weeks,months, years ?) do you let your students practice taijiquan before you let them start with taijijian?
Honest answer: there is no calendar for it, there is a checklist.

In my school students touch a jian early, sometimes within the first few months, but not to learn the form. We use it as a diagnostic. Empty hand hides weak balance, a 700 gram sword does not, so ten minutes of holding postures with the sword tells me more than a month of watching them without it.

Formal jian form waits until the empty hand work passes three checks. They can shift all their weight into one leg without the shoulders tipping. They can hold a one legged posture for thirty seconds without the toes gripping the floor. And the waist leads every movement instead of the arms. For a student training twice a week that usually lands around a year. Some get there in six months, some need two years, and the difference is never talent, it is what happens between classes.

Starting the form too early has a specific cost: the student spends all their attention on not dropping the sword and none on what the movement is for. The jian should arrive when it can teach, not when it can impress.
 
Jack, thanks for the straight answers. The floor press test makes more sense than chasing degrees. I will try that on the next one I handle.

I will also ask the seller to confirm full tang in writing. If they go quiet, I move on.

On length, I was leaning 28 but I will do the ear test before I commit. If a 32 feels right I will go that way. Better to check than guess.

Thanks for the disclosure about ICNBUYS. I will look at your Classic and also compare KungFuDirect and MartialArtSmart. A real photo of the pommel on the Classic would help me see how the tang end is finished.

I will run the dollar bill test the day the box arrives. If it fails, it goes back.

This is exactly what I needed. Thanks again.
martialartsword: good plan all around. On the pommel: the Classic uses a threaded pommel seated on a real nut over the full tang, no glue cap, and there are closeup photos on our site, link is in my signature under every post. Whichever sword you end up with, run your tests on day one and report back. I am curious what the dollar bill says
 
martialartsword: good plan all around. On the pommel: the Classic uses a threaded pommel seated on a real nut over the full tang, no glue cap, and there are closeup photos on our site, link is in my signature under every post. Whichever sword you end up with, run your tests on day one and report back. I am curious what the dollar bill says
Jack, thanks for the follow up. I will check the close up photos in your signature. Good to know the pommel is threaded onto a real nut over the full tang. That is the kind of detail I was looking for, and I appreciate you saying it plain.

I am still comparing a few options, but I will come back and post what the dollar bill says once I have one in hand. If the Classic comes in 28 and 32, which one balances closer to three inches from the guard? That would help me decide.

Thanks again for being upfront about your connection to ICNBUYS. It makes the rest of your advice easier to trust.
 
Oh you’re selling these swords. Everything makes sense now…How come you have a US flag when you’re located at No.43 Banqiaoduan, Niuban Road, Zhaoquanying Town, Beijing, China, I believe.
 
Back
Top