Martial arts for self defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I never said that stronger was the problem. I'm saying that training with stronger and larger opponents increases your ability to control someone. If a 150 lb person can control and dominate an opponent who outweighs them by 100-150 lbs, they really shouldn't have much problem controlling someone their size or slightly larger who is acting crazy or under the effects of drugs.
lol ok...

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm saying that training with stronger and larger opponents increases your ability to control someone. If a 150 lb person can control and dominate an opponent who outweighs them by 100-150 lbs, they really shouldn't have much problem controlling someone their size or slightly larger who is acting crazy or under the effects of drugs.
This may be true for the ground game since "speed" is not important in the ground game at all. But for the stand up game this may not be true. I have always liked to find the biggest and strongest opponent to wrestle. One day my teacher asked me to wrestle with a guy who is 20 lb less weight than me. During the wrestling match, I had to move fast and respond fast. I then realized that big and strong opponent may give me enough challenge on my strength. But it doesn't give me enough challenge on my speed. After I had wrestled with some light weight guys, suddenly my watch started to run faster.

Last edited:

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This may be true for the ground game. But for the stand up game this may not be true. I have always liked to find the biggest and strongest opponent to wrestle. One day my teacher asked me to wrestle with a guy who is 20 lb less weight than me. During the wrestling match, I had to move fast and respond fast. I then realized that big and strong opponent may give me enough challenge on my strength. But it doesn't give me enough challenge on my speed. After I had wrestled with some light weight guys, suddenly my watch started to run faster.

Yeah, the ground game helps neutralize a lot of advantages that a bigger/stronger person has.

Hence why having excellent takedowns is important.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
never said they did. I said just because you can do it in the gym doesn't mean you can when it's for real

This line of argument makes no sense. You are suggesting one situation is not the same as another. Any situation is not the same as another. It negates the advantage of training or preparing.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well you picked one of the top guys is the world who also happens to have been a police officer so..

Top guys in the world in what exactly? Has he won any championships? Has he defeated anyone in combat?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Honestly Hanzou I think alot of people can stop people high on PCP but not always every person high on PCP acts different. That's not really the point. The point was some of them are so unpredictable and feel no pain and is a totally different animal then anything you can practice in the ring. Can you still stop them sure we do it all the time but to make the claim,that "well im,a bad *** in the gym so I can pick butt on the street" doent fly with me. I've done both in the gym and on the street they are FAR different

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ME

Well thats certainly a possibility since in the street there are no rules and no ref to stop the beat down to my face to the point I DIE so yeah good for me

Well I do carry a gun everywhere for self defense so yeah but thats not the topic​

No Im telling you the street has no rules Ive pulled guns off 10 year old kids, blades off teen girls so weapons are one more thing you need to think about in the real world that you dont worry about in the ring where a ref checks you before entering

Yea, I'd pull out my gun too if I wasn't good at fighting.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Top guys in the world in what exactly? Has he won any championships? Has he defeated anyone in combat?
he is one of the top Goju teachers in the world. Championships? Yawn who cares. Combat? I have no idea and irrelevant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions