Martial arts for self defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Crush their throat. It seems to reset their brains a bit.

Now this becomes my point. I dont have to teach hanzaou a whole toolset to get that crush on. He already has the positional basics.
again good luck..

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But on the other hand we have countless examples of people being able to perform techniques on bad guys because of their training in the gym/cage.
and we have countless examples of people that never stepped foot in a cage or gym doing the same thing. Again I,never said it won't work. I said claiming just because you can do,it in a gym doesn't mean you can in real life

Well it's true, someone completely tripped out on drugs is pretty resilient to pain, but they still need air to breathe and oxygen for their brains. Further, their level of hyper-activity will cause the choke to effect them faster than normal.
yeah the problem is getting into the position to apply the choke. They don't tend to just lay down and let you choke them. So,again good luck.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yeah the problem is getting into the position to apply the choke. They don't tend to just lay down and let you choke them. So,again good luck.

Yeah, people don't tend to just lay down and let you choke them in Bjj or MMA either.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Really what do you think specifically compromises basic skills?
nothing compromises the skills im,talking about when,the skills don't work like multiple attackers, weapons, drugs and drinking by both you or the attacker, environmental concerns injuries to you.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well in reality it is pointless since most people will never use MMA or TMA or any other MA to actually defend themselves. again try following along you showed up late I've never argued MMA was bad so cool your jets I said because you are king of the ring means little in the real world because it's just not the same.
alright. Progress. So, you're saying that self defense training is pointless for most people. I'm really glad to hear You take a position, rather than just play the contrarian.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
alright. Progress. So, you're saying that self defense training is pointless for most people. I'm really glad to hear You take a position, rather than just play the contrarian.
you don't need to read anyone of my posts Steve and I'm not,here looking for your approval so are you going to contribute to the topic or just paraphrase my posts?

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
they also are not high on PCP in the gym either

And unfortunately you can't perfectly replicate the effects of drugs in the gym. What you can do is train/fight against people larger and stronger than you are so that technique can overcome a strength or size disadvantage. If you can overcome a much bigger guy spazzing out on you while you're applying a choke, you're in pretty good shape.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And unfortunately you can't perfectly replicate the effects of drugs in the gym. What you can do is train/fight against people larger and stronger than you are so that technique can overcome a strength or size disadvantage. If you can overcome a much bigger guy spazzing out on you while you're applying a choke, you're in pretty good shape.
lol ok if you say so. Stonger isn't really the problem with them...but hey you train in a Gym so you know it all

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
nothing compromises the skills im,talking about when,the skills don't work like multiple attackers, weapons, drugs and drinking by both you or the attacker, environmental concerns injuries to you.

The tactics might change the basic skills era mostly don't.

A guy who has good footwork effective striking and good defence will be more able to deal with multiple attackers weapons and fight when they are drunk than someone who dosent.

Strangely a person with good footwork etc will be better at sparring resisted training and competition.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The tactics might change the basic skills era mostly don't.

A guy who has good footwork effective striking and good defence will be more able to deal with multiple attackers weapons and fight when they are drunk than someone who dosent.

Strangely a person with good footwork etc will be better at sparring resisted training and competition.
and none of that will replicate the emotional, mental, and fear so again it's better then nothing but being good in class means little

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yeah the problem is getting into the position to apply the choke. They don't tend to just lay down and let you choke them. So,again good luck

Because it is not the choke that is the real skill. It is the basic fundamental concepts applied well.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
you don't need to read anyone of my posts Steve and I'm not,here looking for your approval so are you going to contribute to the topic or just paraphrase my posts?
I love reading your posts, ballen. You are at times really, really funny.

And I think discussing your views on martial arts for self defense in a thread entitled "martial arts for self defense" is kind of in the wheelhouse of "on topic." Don't get me wrong. Not JUST your views. But they're not off topic.

Of course, you can take your own advice.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
and none of that will replicate the emotional, mental, and fear so again it's better then nothing but being good in class means little

Doing street fights do not protect you from fear or emotions.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I love reading your posts, ballen. You are at times really, really funny.

And I think discussing your views on martial arts for self defense in a thread entitled "martial arts for self defense" is kind of in the wheelhouse of "on topic." Don't get me wrong. Not JUST your views. But they're not off topic.

Of course, you can take your own advice.
so no you have nothing of value to add to the thread your just here to stalk certain posters...got it guess it's my turn today...

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
lol ok if you say so. Stronger isn't really the problem with them...but hey you train in a Gym so you know it all

I never said that stronger was the problem. I'm saying that training with stronger and larger opponents increases your ability to control someone. If a 150 lb person can control and dominate an opponent who outweighs them by 100-150 lbs, they really shouldn't have much problem controlling someone their size or slightly larger who is acting crazy or under the effects of drugs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.