Last Poster #7

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The legal status is irrelevant. Laws are not necessarily based on anything other than ignorance and bias. Horse, dog, cat, iguana... the meat is all perfectly good. The aversion some people have to eating them is cultural, not biological.

Same thing applies to chickens. And cows. And pigs. And everything else you eat.
that one did not raise themselves.
I find it kind of funny the weird ideas Americans have about meat.
Snake, Squirrel, Aligator, etc are routinely on the menu, one place or another. but OMG HORSE!!!!
The problem is in the labeling.
On the Old World, horse butchers had a horsehead over their door, and to this day rabbits have to have either, or, or both hindleg and head still attached as to not be mistaken for cat.

And that was a story my Grandmother chuckled over til the day she died (and she loved all animals) My uncle once killed a cat, they dressed it and Grandmother cooked it. They served it to a buddy of my uncle's as rabbit....that would have been probably in the 50s.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
that one did not raise themselves.
I find it kind of funny the weird ideas Americans have about meat.
Snake, Squirrel, Aligator, etc are routinely on the menu, one place or another. but OMG HORSE!!!!
The problem is in the labeling.
On the Old World, horse butchers had a horsehead over their door, and to this day rabbits have to have either, or, or both hindleg and head still attached as to not be mistaken for cat.

And that was a story my Grandmother chuckled over til the day she died (and she loved all animals) My uncle once killed a cat, they dressed it and Grandmother cooked it. They served it to a buddy of my uncle's as rabbit....that would have been probably in the 50s.
I think this is an issue with people (american's included) thinking most americans have the same culture. It's tough to remember that the US as a country is basically the size of europe, so for instance what may be common in bulgaria vs. the UK is similar to what may be common in texas vs. minnesota. What you're describing sounds very much like a gulf of mexico-bordered thing, rather than a general american thing.

Where I am, Alligator and snake are both considered exotic meats that more than half of the people near me would not be willing to try, and I doubt many of my neighbors would be interested in squirrel as well.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think this is an issue with people (american's included) thinking most americans have the same culture. It's tough to remember that the US as a country is basically the size of europe, so for instance what may be common in bulgaria vs. the UK is similar to what may be common in texas vs. minnesota. What you're describing sounds very much like a gulf of mexico-bordered thing, rather than a general american thing.

Where I am, Alligator and snake are both considered exotic meats that more than half of the people near me would not be willing to try, and I doubt many of my neighbors would be interested in squirrel as well.
Just to clarify why I separated squirrel. If I mentioned trying snake or alligator, people would recognize that as food, just exotic food. If I mentioned squirrel, they wouldn't consider it food at all and would look at me funny for the next few months probably. Depending on the person, horse could fall into either category.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Haven't you ever known a horse by name?

Ever eaten dog?
not knowingly, no.
there were rumors though that in my area a group of people would pick up 'free to good home' pets and in turn put them in the stew pot.
I read that eating dog was a religious ritual in at least one Native tribe.

Up until the 70s horse was a common meat even in the US.

What is your point about the named horse?
I have known plenty of named horses, and there were days I would have eaten the burger with their name on with gusto.

There were alit of things that did not make it on te dinner table as I was growing up, and I just recently began to examine that:
We never had cabbage aside from sauerkraut and the rare Brusslesprouts.
I came to believe that my dad had to eat a lot growing up in the lean times (he was born in 36)
we did not eat anything sheep - no idea why, even though there were a lot of sheep farmers around. Maybe lamb at a restaurant, but never mutton.
It is a perfectly fine meat. It can have a little strong sheep taste I have been told. Cultural differences.

As to horse meat, growing up the highlight was always seeing horses along a long drive. This one place had a number of Hafflinger ponies sitting in a field.
Come to find out later, they belonged to the horse butcher.
He'd go to Tyrol and buy the young stock tat failed inspection up for a song, put them in the field. when he needed more supply, he'd pulled one out.
In the meantime, they had the life of Ryley.

On the other hand, do we know much about Pigs? They have a social structure, and actually are particular about their living quarters.

Cows have a social structure that is more intricate than that of horses.
I saw a cute performance one time with a Holstein heifer. Clever little gal.Cute tricks.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
not knowingly, no.
there were rumors though that in my area a group of people would pick up 'free to good home' pets and in turn put them in the stew pot.
I read that eating dog was a religious ritual in at least one Native tribe.

Up until the 70s horse was a common meat even in the US.

What is your point about the named horse?
I have known plenty of named horses, and there were days I would have eaten the burger with their name on with gusto.

There were alit of things that did not make it on te dinner table as I was growing up, and I just recently began to examine that:
We never had cabbage aside from sauerkraut and the rare Brusslesprouts.
I came to believe that my dad had to eat a lot growing up in the lean times (he was born in 36)
we did not eat anything sheep - no idea why, even though there were a lot of sheep farmers around. Maybe lamb at a restaurant, but never mutton.
It is a perfectly fine meat. It can have a little strong sheep taste I have been told. Cultural differences.

As to horse meat, growing up the highlight was always seeing horses along a long drive. This one place had a number of Hafflinger ponies sitting in a field.
Come to find out later, they belonged to the horse butcher.
He'd go to Tyrol and buy the young stock tat failed inspection up for a song, put them in the field. when he needed more supply, he'd pulled one out.
In the meantime, they had the life of Ryley.

On the other hand, do we know much about Pigs? They have a social structure, and actually are particular about their living quarters.

Cows have a social structure that is more intricate than that of horses.
I saw a cute performance one time with a Holstein heifer. Clever little gal.Cute tricks.
You've never had cabbage???

In honor of Ukraine and Poland, I'll share some good cabbage recipes. Golapki!

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ill eat anything lol. I had dog once in Korea. Well I think it was. It was some street cart selling meat on a stick. We were drunk. I asked her what it was she smiled and barked at me like a dog so we assume it was dog.
Ive eaten Gator, squirrel, every part of a rabbit, snake, iguana, ostrich. Id eat horse if it was available. Shoot in an emergency situation if it came down too it Ill chow down on any of you lol.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You've never had cabbage???

In honor of Ukraine and Poland, I'll share some good cabbage recipes. Golapki!
growing up, no. I think my dad was fed an abundance of it after WWII and he was affluent enough not to eat it once he had his own family.
Share the recipes anyhow. To honor Ukraine!

I think it is a matter of maturity to try foods not on the radar.
I found folks on the lower socio-economical rung of the ladder to be rather picky about food. To me it's more like 'meh, I eat because I have to, I eat more when I like it'
I actually love cabbage, as slaw, fried, in stew.....I have been meaning to make wraps.

The realization struck me as I followed a conversation of 'foods you were forced to eat as kid'
Which there were none in our house. We had to try it but if we decided we didn't like it we did not have to finish.
And I started to wonder if a lot of this had to do with my parents growing up after the war, when things were scarce, although they never went hungry. They just had to eat a lot of stuff they ended up loathing.
My Grandpa only had one tooth left, so potatoes and gravy were his thing. My dad would not eat said potatoes unless for one or two dishes, he'd rather substitute them with noodles or rice. Because they had them so often!

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I read a comment chain of two people arguing on reddit earlier, and near the end one of them says that he does not have a degree in the field, hasn't taken courses or even studied it, and that's proof that the experts are dumb since even he knows something they disagree with. Then proceed to continue blathering his opinion as if it was fact.

Nice little reminder to not put too much stock in information from anonymous internet users.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

If you haven’t eaten gray squirrels that live in a nut tree, then you not lived! They are a delectable delicious treat. I’m really being sincere. THE BEST.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
First..I hate the book "Lord of the flies" I was tortured with the book AND the movie in English class, in highschool...hated them both. Still hate them and that was many MANY moons ago

Second, I have seen and eaten more weird food since I married Mrs Xue (who is from China)...Pig intestine, pig lung, cow cartilage, blood tofu....didn't like any of them..... but still, if there is a choice between the weird food I ate and enduring Lord of the Flies again...well..I'm eating weird food....

Last edited:

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
First..I hate the book "Lord of the flies" I was tortured with the book AND the movie in English class, in highschool...hated them both. Still hate them and that was many MANY moons ago

Second, I have seen and eaten more weird food since I married Mrs Xue (who is from China)...Pig intestine, pig lung, cow cartilage, blood tofu....didn't like any of them..... but still, if there is a choice between the weird food I ate and enduring Lord of the Flies again...well..I'm eating weird food....
Blood Bourdin, I can handle. But I don't have his stomach, not by a long shot.

That's why I prefer to make my own meals. Right now, I'm exploring turmeric.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Blood Bourdin, I can handle. But I don't have his stomach, not by a long shot.

That's why I prefer to make my own meals. Right now, I'm exploring turmeric.

I've tried Haggis too...hated it...but again...read, or watch, lord of the flies or eat Haggis....I'm eating Haggis

Just to show all how much I truly despise Lord of the Flies..... I'd eat bacon before I'd read or watch that again....

Latest Discussions