Last Poster #7

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dude, Soylent Green isn't a condiment. Soylent Green is people.... it's PEOPLE!!!!

View attachment 28108

Good to know. Apparently, most of what's sold in Japan is also fake. Who knew? Apparently you guys! :)

Reminds me of the fake fish industry. Most of what people get isn't what they think.
I’m not sure if the calimari thing is true, it got me thinking though.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What? Does not compute. What do you think wasabi is? For that matter, what is sold as wasabi in the US, if it's not actual wasabi?

Real wasabi is apparently difficult to raise because it requires an extremely narrow set of conditions. So most "wasabi" is horseradish.
Much like sending a new surgical circulator off to find an Otis elevator, or a henway retractor. “What’s a henway?” “oh about 4 or 5 pounds” .
We sent a new security officer running full speed to the OB/GYN floor to get some Fallopian tubes.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
E

Ok I got one for you, look up what is passed off as “calimari”.
Calamari, scallops, shoot even things like halibut and snapper. I think most of the white fish served in restaurants is either tilapia or asian catfish. We're spoiled here in the Seattle area, because you can often see the entire fish, so when you buy "wild caught" cod or salmon, you can be pretty sure it's actually cod and salmon and not farmed. And this whole "atlantic" salmon thing... no way I'm eating that crap. In order to make it even look appetizing, they have to dye it. Yuck.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok I got one for you, look up what is passed off as “calimari”.
I found a largely-discredited rumor that pig rectum was being sold as calamari, but no actual corroboration of the story.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Calamari, scallops, shoot even things like halibut and snapper. I think most of the white fish served in restaurants is either tilapia or asian catfish. We're spoiled here in the Seattle area, because you can often see the entire fish, so when you buy "wild caught" cod or salmon, you can be pretty sure it's actually cod and salmon and not farmed. And this whole "atlantic" salmon thing... no way I'm eating that crap. In order to make it even look appetizing, they have to dye it. Yuck.
We got spoiled for seafood a long time ago. We eat a ton of it when we're in the Caribbean, where the boats pull up to the rear of the restaurant to unload. But other than that, not much.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
We got spoiled for seafood a long time ago. We eat a ton of it when we're in the Caribbean, where the boats pull up to the rear of the restaurant to unload. But other than that, not much.
That's the way to do it. Not much more fresh than that.

I eat a lot of seafood. Love fresh fish, but I'm fine with fish that's been frozen. I try to stay away from most farmed fish. It doesn't taste very good, and the health benefits are largely missing, too.

I also eat smoked herring about once a week, with some cheese and apple. One of my favorite meals. This is my favorite:

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Real wasabi is apparently difficult to raise because it requires an extremely narrow set of conditions. So most "wasabi" is horseradish.

We sent a new security officer running full speed to the OB/GYN floor to get some Fallopian tubes.
Lol! That’s awesome!

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I found a largely-discredited rumor that pig rectum was being sold as calamari, but no actual corroboration of the story.
Exactly that. I was never sure that could work. You can eat the whole pig, rooter to the tooter but I’ve never seen any tentacles on a pig. I just heard the rumors. hog rectum does have rings, but I doubt it tastes like squid.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's the way to do it. Not much more fresh than that.

I eat a lot of seafood. Love fresh fish, but I'm fine with fish that's been frozen. I try to stay away from most farmed fish. It doesn't taste very good, and the health benefits are largely missing, too.

I also eat smoked herring about once a week, with some cheese and apple. One of my favorite meals. This is my favorite:

We catch a lot of herring in humboldt bay this time of year but we mostly use them for pacific halibut bait.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
Scallops are definitely skate cutlets sometimes. You can tell by the size and the perfect circle shape. I only like scallops raw on the half shell.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
yeah, they did a DNA test on fish once, the majority was not what the label said.
Scallops are often plucked out of rays.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

At least you sent him to someplace that had them.

Latest Discussions