Last Poster #7

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It wasn't too many generations ago in America when couples would have four or more kids because they expected to lose one along the way. People don't remember that.

Way I see it, it's not bubble wrap if kids are still doing the things that are fun, but safer. Protecting kids from themselves is part of parenting. I think it starts to slip into overprotection when you put undue limits on the kids. So, for example, saying that they can't ride ponies because it's "too dangerous."

My wife and I balance each other out, I think. I am inclined to let the kids take more risk, and she's a little overprotective. It works out, though. They got their skateboards, but she had them wearing all kinds of pads, including palm pads (whoever heard of such a thing.) The kids didn't care, and they got to roll around and fall, and I can confirm that it still hurt. :)
the gloves with the wrist brace in them? Really cool idea! I wished I had those when we went roller skating and I wiped out a couple of times and fell - naturally - on my hands.

I mean, there are a lot of things we used to do, and figured out it was a needless risk: riding in the bed of pickups, using chemicals without PPE,
And riding horses, bikes, and skateboards without helmet.
I got to meet the guy who was the reason the German horse racing officials made helmets mandatory in race and training.
I am sure there were more things in play, but the man was semi homeless!
TBIs are a thing, and many can be prevented.

I think that a good friend of min and my husband both suffered some 'brain damage' back in the days before seatbelts. Perfectly fine people, but they both said - independently from each other - that they feel like they were not as smart as before the car accident.
And we know now that 'hahaha he got his bell rung' is a concussion with accumulative effects.
hence helmets on football players, and pads.

crickeys....
getting mad again.
:D

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am...... very much now craving a grilled cheese sandwich.. who knew craving was infectious!

(And sorry to hear about your knee giving out!)

Late to the craving....but do yourself a favor.

1) Buy a couple glazed donuts.
2) cook a couple pieces of bacon
3) slice the donuts in half
4) put the glazed portion on the inside with cheddar cheese and the bacon
5) add butter to the outside of the sandwich and brown in pan or griddle

And Voila....Grilled Cheese and Bacon Donut Sandwich.

No need to thank me....with great power comes great responsibility.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

The cornerstone of any great breakfast!

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
The cornerstone of any great breakfast!
My unit has had a really good couple months and have been extremely busy...so I cooked them lunch one day.

18 Grilled Cheese and Bacon Donut Sandwiches.

While I was preparing them on the electric griddle there were alot of jokes about heart attacks and what not......but once the sandwiches were ready and they tried them....I'm pretty sure I cemented myself as the greatest supervisor in their lives.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My unit has had a really good couple months and have been extremely busy...so I cooked them lunch one day.

18 Grilled Cheese and Bacon Donut Sandwiches.

While I was preparing them on the electric griddle there were alot of jokes about heart attacks and what not......but once the sandwiches were ready and they tried them....I'm pretty sure I cemented myself as the greatest supervisor in their lives.
Oh God, I can visualize that so well.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yyyyyyyes!!! I love it!

The ultimate pre workout food!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Saw one of these today parked in my neighborhood..

68 or 69 Camaro Z28

ggkc496.jpg

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmm...

So all this talk of experimental foods got me feeling... experimental :p

Had dinner but I was still hungry... couldn't figure out what to have, so a random concoction emerged... half a cup of milk microwaved, I put two Weetbix in the cup (don't know if you US guys have that...), two spoons of Milo (also don't know if you have! It's like a powdered malted drink). @drop bear will know the ingredients.

Mix it up and eat with a spoon. I'm a fan! It may turn into a trend!

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm...

Had dinner but I was still hungry... couldn't figure out what to have, so a random concoction emerged... half a cup of milk microwaved, I put two Weetbix in the cup (don't know if you US guys have that...), two spoons of Milo (also don't know if you have! It's like a powdered malted drink). @drop bear will know the ingredients.

I don't think we have anything in common use that's particularly like Weetbix. Milo, from what I found, is usually chocolate. Other than that, it looks like what we'd call malt powder (sometimes called malted milk powder). Without the chocolate, it sounds appealing.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I don't think we have anything in common use that's particularly like Weetbix. Milo, from what I found, is usually chocolate. Other than that, it looks like what we'd call malt powder (sometimes called malted milk powder). Without the chocolate, it sounds appealing.
I like to add a little malt powder to buttercream frosting on a chocolate cake.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hmm...

Weetbix... for some reason, I have in mind something like a zwieback cracker for toddlers, that would sort of disintegrate in warm milk. Maybe it tastes (and looks) better than it sounds. :D

Latest Discussions