Last Poster #7

tmpierce

White Belt
Reaction score
Weather report- lightly overcast, no rain… neither hot nor cold… it’s like the perfectly average day which is totally blah… there’s a metaphor in there somewhere…

HighKick

Black Belt
Reaction score
Not sure where I heard this, it may have been from my youngest...

New reality show for those that believe the earth is flat......flat earther race to the edge of the world....winner get $5,000,000,000
The edge of the earth is just outside my back door!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I posted this a few years ago, I just came accross it again, thought I would repost it....BJJ agaist a bear

1ptvtt798sh51.jpg

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd hate to ever have to go against a bear. And we have alot of black bears where I live. That and coyotes. They say never run though, if you run its on, but if you see one you have a chance of them leaving you alone, but if you run you're screwed.
The general guidance with black bears is to make yourself big, and fight back if you have to. They are generally timid, and if they attack, it’s usually because you’re about to be dinner. They can be dissuaded, but playing dead (as is recommended for some bears) is not a good strategy.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The general guidance with black bears is to make yourself big, and fight back if you have to. They are generally timid, and if they attack, it’s usually because you’re about to be dinner. They can be dissuaded, but playing dead (as is recommended for some bears) is not a good strategy.

Playing dead is recommended for brown bears...however.....

look-bigger-edit-700x445.jpg

tip-play-dead-edit.jpg

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A 10mm, .44 mag or 500 S&W Magnum can be very useful when trying to dissuade a bear or mountain lion from attacking.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
A 10mm, .44 mag or 500 S&W Magnum can be very useful when trying to dissuade a bear or mountain lion from attacking.

Many moons ago I use to have to carry a .44 mag on the tree farm I worked on, for the cougar....not so much for the black bear....the worst he ever did (and it was a he) was to knock down fences...mostly because they were in his way when he was walking from point A to point B

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Many moons ago I use to have to carry a .44 mag on the tree farm I worked on, for the cougar....not so much for the black bear....the worst he ever did (and it was a he) was to knock down fences...mostly because they were in his way when he was walking from point A to point B
If you're chased by a bear, it's important to know if it's a black bear or a grizzly. The easy way to tell the difference is to climb a tree.

A black bear will climb the tree and kill you.
A grizzly will knock the tree down and kill you.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're chased by a bear, it's important to know if it's a black bear or a grizzly. The easy way to tell the difference is to climb a tree.

A black bear will climb the tree and kill you.
A grizzly will knock the tree down and kill you.
A polar bear will wonder why the hell there's a tree in the middle of the ice.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Then again there is the Panda bear which would require a whole differant perspective.........but I digress.. :)

Latest Discussions