Last Poster #7

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did a fun little circuit last night:

-Sanseiru kata, rest 1m
-Shadowsparring 2m (focusing on footwork, agility and combinations), rest 1m
-Heavy bagwork 2m (focusing on distance, power and impact).

Rest and repeated 2 more times.

(I maaaay potentially be competing soon don't tell anyonnnne!)

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Always something to see at this one place I mow, nearly out in the middle of nowhere. So many trees that you can't see the road. Small but old. Most of the people there were born roughly in the 1860s. Got some neat flower pictures.

20230408_105235.jpg

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Did something a little out of my comfort zone today, teaching. I don't feel ready to teach or that I'm worthy, but my teacher okayed it. So I'm training with a new student and teaching him the forms and sets and doing drills, but I feel he has just as much to teach me. Anybody feel like this when you started teaching? I'm not teaching a class but it's more like a meet up where I take someone under my wing and show them the ropes of our style. He has previous training in a similar style so he is already really good, I'm just showing him the sets and forms and some of the tactics of our style. My teacher has more faith in me than I do myself for doing this.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did something a little out of my comfort zone today, teaching. I don't feel ready to teach or that I'm worthy, but my teacher okayed it. So I'm training with a new student and teaching him the forms and sets and doing drills, but I feel he has just as much to teach me. Anybody feel like this when you started teaching? I'm not teaching a class but it's more like a meet up where I take someone under my wing and show them the ropes of our style. He has previous training in a similar style so he is already really good, I'm just showing him the sets and forms and some of the tactics of our style. My teacher has more faith in me than I do myself for doing this.
Wonderful, how exciting! Yeah your teacher obviously sees something in you. Have absolutely felt like that yes haha. I'll often find myself explaining something in a certain way that I didn't even know that I knew, it's bizarre! And I've learnt from that.

The more you teach the more you figure out how to teach. And how to relax and take your time when teaching. With any teaching role I've had I struggle with just talking nonstop and barely able to catch my breath (and I am a super introvert and don't talk much at all!), I need to take more pauses!

But good on you, hope it goes well!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mr Gran was moved to a rehab facility. While they assured me they could accommodate me staying overnight I am home for the first time in almost 4 weeks. (various other reasons as well in play)

it's a nice place, comes highly recommended. (unlike the other place, why I stayed pretty much 24/7)
He has 3h of therapy to look forward to - per day.
if he survives this he will be good to go!
Now I have to figure out how to sleep in my bed again.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mr Gran was moved to a rehab facility. While they assured me they could accommodate me staying overnight I am home for the first time in almost 4 weeks. (various other reasons as well in play)

it's a nice place, comes highly recommended. (unlike the other place, why I stayed pretty much 24/7)
He has 3h of therapy to look forward to - per day.
if he survives this he will be good to go!
Now I have to figure out how to sleep in my bed again.
Awesome news :D

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wonderful, how exciting! Yeah your teacher obviously sees something in you. Have absolutely felt like that yes haha. I'll often find myself explaining something in a certain way that I didn't even know that I knew, it's bizarre! And I've learnt from that.

The more you teach the more you figure out how to teach. And how to relax and take your time when teaching. With any teaching role I've had I struggle with just talking nonstop and barely able to catch my breath (and I am a super introvert and don't talk much at all!), I need to take more pauses!

But good on you, hope it goes well!
I feel like we are similar in a way, I'm an introvert too. Good to know someone else felt like this before too. My teacher has a super relaxed way of teaching but he still pushes us and wants excellence from all of us. After what you wrote I realized that relaxed style of teaching probably comes with experience.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I feel like we are similar in a way, I'm an introvert too. Good to know someone else felt like this before too. My teacher has a super relaxed way of teaching but he still pushes us and wants excellence from all of us. After what you wrote I realized that relaxed style of teaching probably comes with experience.
Yeah oh 100%. Definitely about practice and experience, and really settling in to the style of teaching that suits you.

I have a softer energy and personality so my teaching reflects that, but in saying that my prior background is a very hard, disciplined, regimented and blood'n'guts style haha, so I'm able to draw on and still use that fiery nature to draw it out in others which is rather interesting!

Latest Discussions