Last Poster #7

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So... most of the folks on here wouldn't know this, but Mrs Dog and I retired at the end of April.
Retired people are supposed to stay busy. And I am a car guy (which won't come as news to many).
So I came up with a project car idea.

Buy an old hearse. Those things are dirty cheap. In a very brief search, I found several early 2000's models for around $4000-$5000, with excellent bodies. Which is good, because I know virtually nothing about paint and body work.
Stuff in a big engine. I don't know what, but big. Lots of options. The LS7 (427ci) has enormous aftermarket support. But a 426ci Hemi would be nostalgic and cool. Most of them are Cadillacs, so maybe an old 500ci Caddy engine. That one is tough to find performance parts for, though.
Strip all the heavy crap out of it. It's generally accepted that for every 100lbs you remove, you'll lower your E.T. by 0.1 seconds. Free speed!
Put some big sticky rubber out back.
Reallly long side pipes. Because funny.
Build a lightweight coffin. Bolt it into the back. For flavor, right? Now use it to hide the big old nitrous bottle.
Paint it black, but use the Ghost Flame technique to do graphics and/or put "Dead Weight" down the side.
And get a plate that says "OVRTAKER" or "COVID-19".
I'm sure this isn't an original idea, but it does sound fun.
It's dangerous to let me have too much free time.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
So... most of the folks on here wouldn't know this, but Mrs Dog and I retired at the end of April.
Retired people are supposed to stay busy. And I am a car guy (which won't come as news to many).

Buy an old hearse. Those things are dirty cheap. In a very brief search, I found several early 2000's models for around $4000-$5000, with excellent bodies. Which is good, because I know virtually nothing about paint and body work.
Stuff in a big engine. I don't know what, but big. Lots of options. The LS7 (427ci) has enormous aftermarket support. But a 426ci Hemi would be nostalgic and cool. Most of them are Cadillacs, so maybe an old 500ci Caddy engine. That one is tough to find performance parts for, though.
Strip all the heavy crap out of it. It's generally accepted that for every 100lbs you remove, you'll lower your E.T. by 0.1 seconds. Free speed!
Build a lightweight coffin. Bolt it into the back. For flavor, right? Now use it to hide the big old nitrous bottle.
Paint it black, but use the Ghost Flame technique to do graphics and/or put "Dead Weight" down the side.

CHEVROLET PERFORMANCE UNVEILS ITS LARGEST, MOST POWERFUL CRATE ENGINE EVER

scary-horsepower-jason-picketts-boosted-caprice-hearse-2019-07-31_14-10-02_445064.jpg

And here I am thinking about getting a 1967 to 1982 Corvette to fixup when I retire

Oh, an now that you're retired...I can no longer like you..... yes it is an unreasonable hatred born out of pure envy and jealousy...but that is what it is.... but in a bit less than 5 years.... I can start liking you again...when I retire... talk to you then...ya bacon pusher

Last edited:

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

My buddy we called Danarchy had I think a 55 Buick hearse with suicide doors. It wasn’t in great shape but it was cool. He used to cart our whole crew of punk rock kids to shows in the early to mid 80s. We called it the gigmobile. You could fit 16 in there if you stacked them right. Something like a clown car gone wrong, it had FREE CANDY painted in big white letters down both sides.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've seen that. It would certainly be something to consider.
And here I am thinking about getting a 1967 to 1982 Corvette to fixup when I retire
That's another very specific project I've had in mind for years. You know I'm a Corvette guy.
My dream build there would be to grab a nono-numbers matching early C3. No newer than 72, because I like the chrome bumpers. I want the t-tops with the pop out rear glass.
Drop the body on a new chassis, from someplace like Street Rod Garage. Basically, a C3 body, but with a modern drive line and suspension. That would be a much more expensive project. The chassis alone is about $30,000.
Oh, an now that you're retired...I can no longer like you..... yes it is an unreasonable hatred born out of pure envy and jealousy...but that is what it is.... but in a bit less than 5 years.... I can start liking you again...when I retire
If it's any comfort, I didn't retire because of age. I'm 60. But I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Gastric Neuroendocrine Tumors 12 years ago. It's incurable, but very slow growing. It's a hormonally active cancer, so it screws with serotonin production and causes a thing called Carcinoid Syndrome. There are treatments to help control the symptoms, and I've been taking them for years. But as you'd expect, their effectiveness wanes over time. The oncologists have been asking me for years if I was ready to retire. But it's progressed to the point that it was time to stop. So I took a medical disability retirement.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

That's another very specific project I've had in mind for years. You know I'm a Corvette guy.
My dream build there would be to grab a nono-numbers matching early C3. No newer than 72, because I like the chrome bumpers. I want the t-tops with the pop out rear glass.
Drop the body on a new chassis, from someplace like Street Rod Garage. Basically, a C3 body, but with a modern drive line and suspension. That would be a much more expensive project. The chassis alone is about $30,000.

If it's any comfort, I didn't retire because of age. I'm 60. But I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Gastric Neuroendocrine Tumors 12 years ago. It's incurable, but very slow growing. It's a hormonally active cancer, so it screws with serotonin production and causes a thing called Carcinoid Syndrome. There are treatments to help control the symptoms, and I've been taking them for years. But as you'd expect, their effectiveness wanes over time. The oncologists have been asking me for years if I was ready to retire. But it's progressed to the point that it was time to stop. So I took a medical disability retirement.

I can appreciate your customization of the vette...and an engine like the ZZ632/1000 impresses he old mechanic in me to no end, bur I'm a stock guy...and I'm still thinking about the Harley, but an older one, pre, or post, AMF

As for the retirement, age means nothing, I'm not retired, I'm the same age, and I'm jealous.

I knew you had a cancer, but I did not know the type, I am very sorry to hear this...so...OK...for that I'll let the unreasonable retirement hatred go....this time

Start working on the cars, I would like to see the pictures when you are done.

OP
Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can appreciate your customization of the vette...and an engine like the ZZ632/1000 impresses he old mechanic in me to no end, bur I'm a stock guy...and I'm still thinking about the Harley, but an older one, pre, or post, AMF
Oh sure. That's why I specifically want a non-numbers matching roller. I don't want to chop up a collectible.
As for the retirement, age means nothing, I'm not retired, I'm the same age, and I'm jealous.
I knew you had a cancer, but I did not know the type, I am very sorry to hear this...so...OK...for that I'll let the unreasonable retirement hatred go....this time
:p
Start working on the cars, I would like to see the pictures when you are done.
The current Vette is finished externally. I'm rebuilding the engine again.
Externally, it's got some custom graphics, a duck bill spoiler, rear diffuser (ultimately, I want to take it to the Colorado Mile and join the 200 MPH club), larger wheels, pop up headlights eliminated...
Inside it's got a double DIN touchscreen infotainment center and all the boom stuff to go with it, and a keyless ignition. Me having one eye, and my friends being who they are, the shift knob is a giant eyeball. I'm waiting for new seat pads and leather to come in. And I'm probably going to add a harness bar and 5-point belts.

Some track day clips.

IMG_3075.JPGIMG_3102.JPGIMG_3104.JPG

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Oh sure. That's why I specifically want a non-numbers matching roller. I don't want to chop up a collectible.

Externally, it's got some custom graphics, a duck bill spoiler, rear diffuser (ultimately, I want to take it to the Colorado Mile and join the 200 MPH club), larger wheels, pop up headlights eliminated...
Inside it's got a double DIN touchscreen infotainment center and all the boom stuff to go with it, and a keyless ignition. Me having one eye, and my friends being who they are, the shift knob is a giant eyeball. I'm waiting for new seat pads and leather to come in. And I'm probably going to add a harness bar and 5-point belts.

Some track day clips.

View attachment 28509View attachment 28510View attachment 28513
Very nice

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score

Some track day clips.

View attachment 28509View attachment 28510View attachment 28513
WOW! Awesome vette!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Enjoy "The Night of a Thousand Waterfalls"... :(
gotta be careful: When you break wind not to break ground as well....