Last Poster #7

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Share your experience - I'm interested. The stout sounds very appealing - not sure how the mustard affects flavor...
We tried it last night... yeah quite nice. To be honest it just tasted like chocolate cake, with maybe a little smoky aftertaste? So honestly I'd prefer just normal chocolate cake, I don't feel the stout and mustard added anything to improve the cake.

I guess it would depend on just how much stout and mustard were in the cake, but I don't feel it enhanced the classic chocolate cake hehe.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I have plenty of disagreements with folks who make sense. Then there are a few who seem determined to find fault in posts without really caring what the intention (or sometimes the actual post) was. Those I point out.
ah, so it's just the folks who don't make sense to you. Those folks, who don't make sense to you... They are the ones who... Wait... Don't understand you??? If they just took the time to understand your posts and your intention, they would... What? Suddenly make more sense to you?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
We tried it last night... yeah quite nice. To be honest it just tasted like chocolate cake, with maybe a little smoky aftertaste? So honestly I'd prefer just normal chocolate cake, I don't feel the stout and mustard added anything to improve the cake.

I guess it would depend on just how much stout and mustard were in the cake, but I don't feel it enhanced the classic chocolate cake hehe.
Coffee in chocolate cake is amazing. It definitely makes the cake better. The type of cocoa makes a difference as well. I like the drost brand dutched cocoa.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Best way to find out is to make TWO cakes and compare them. I have a recipe I might tinker with, make two small ones.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ah, so it's just the folks who don't make sense to you. Those folks, who don't make sense to you... They are the ones who... Wait... Don't understand you??? If they just took the time to understand your posts and your intention, they would... What? Suddenly make more sense to you?
Steve, please go back and look at my first post in this mess. Read it with the expectation that I'm taking a shot at why some folks struggle with that general best practice, instead of expecting it to be an attack on your point.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Coffee in chocolate cake is amazing. It definitely makes the cake better. The type of cocoa makes a difference as well. I like the drost brand dutched cocoa.
I do like coffee I certain thinks like cake and ice cream.
I recently had a chance to try coffee brewed with chocolate in it. Not a fan at all.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do like coffee I certain thinks like cake and ice cream.
I recently had a chance to try coffee brewed with chocolate in it. Not a fan at all.
Interesting. I do this from time to time - just add dutched cocoa to the grounds. I find it makes a fairly smooth brew without changing much else. What did you not like about it?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well, in May it will be a year since the meniscus repair on the left knee....just got told today that I will need either a partial knee replacement or a full knee replacement of my right knee...because iit is not getting better. I seemed to be for awhile, but then it went downhill again.

I will find out Monday if it is a partial replacement or a full.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, in May it will be a year since the meniscus repair on the left knee....just got told today that I will need either a partial knee replacement or a full knee replacement of my right knee...because iit is not getting better. I seemed to be for awhile, but then it went downhill again.

Ouch. Good luck with that, man. At least from what I've heard, the joint replacements have gotten much better over the years, and the recovery period is shorter.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Steve, please go back and look at my first post in this mess. Read it with the expectation that I'm taking a shot at why some folks struggle with that general best practice, instead of expecting it to be an attack on your point.
Shoot me a DM, if you like.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Interesting. I do this from time to time - just add dutched cocoa to the grounds. I find it makes a fairly smooth brew without changing much else. What did you not like about it?
That's a new one for me. I've heard of salt in the grounds, but never cocoa.

One thing I've seen called a "Cuban" shot is where you add some demerara sugar into the grounds of an espresso shot and pull the espresso through it.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Do your research on partials. The failure rate is much higher versus full replacements for some reason. I look at it like brakes on a vehicle. There is zero chance only one pad is going to be worn. On the bizarre chance this is the case, there are other bigger problems.
I am scheduled for April 20th for the left knee. Barring no recovery issues the right knee eight weeks later.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score

Ah dang... sorry man. Your perseverance is inspiring. Hope it gets sorted!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Do your research on partials. The failure rate is much higher versus full replacements for some reason. I look at it like brakes on a vehicle. There is zero chance only one pad is going to be worn. On the bizarre chance this is the case, there are other bigger problems.
I am scheduled for April 20th for the left knee. Barring no recovery issues the right knee eight weeks later.

I will find out more next Monday as to full and partial. I will ask questions....a lot of questions....I want to know what's going on if they're going to make me a cyborg. Good luck with your surgery

Latest Discussions