Last Poster #7

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You’re entirely missing the point. And as you have made a practice, you responded to me contentiously, rather than with any effort to understand my meaning. Don’t think tou actually bother to fully read my posts any more - just respond when you find something you can disagree with.

That, by the way, is a poor communication habit - in business and out.
I'll try to do better if you will.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Not at all what I said. Again, you’re looking for an argument.
honestly, you're the one picking a fight about style and clearly from a position of ignorance. I don't get you sometimes. You're like a freshman english student arguing that shakespeare did iambic pentameter wrong.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, officially starting over again. Covid finally finished off the dojo I was teaching at. I'd managed to hold onto one student over the past year of intermittent periods of no classes, classes held entirely outside, and a year of no-contact classes. Family matters took priority for her, so I'm now looking for a new place to teach and will need to find new students.

Maybe someday I'll get to teach advanced work again.
Oh geez... sorry to hear that brother, sad for sure... hoping a fresh start comes naturally and smoothly.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Again, not everyone prefers it the way you do. In general, I agree that some sort of summary up front is best practice (as that fits the most people), when delivering to folks who don't prefer that, there's nothing "wrong" about doing so.
Yeah definitely, to me it should be situational/contextual. Eg work related emails regarding very decisive actions may not need alot of preamble or background (especially if the issue has been discussed thoroughly prior).

But if I email a dojo asking about their style/club, in their reply I'd prefer as MUCH information as humanly possible in there haha, but maybe that's cos I'm a psycho though [emoji14]

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
My mum loves experimenting with her cake making... this one is CERTAINLY new.. and she just bought it round.

It's 'chocolate cake'. BUT, with some secret ingredients of... stout, and mustard.

She makes incredible cakes all the time, but we shall see how this one goes down [emoji14] :s

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Yeah definitely, to me it should be situational/contextual. Eg work related emails regarding very decisive actions may not need alot of preamble or background (especially if the issue has been discussed thoroughly prior).

But if I email a dojo asking about their style/club, in their reply I'd prefer as MUCH information as humanly possible in there haha, but maybe that's cos I'm a psycho though [emoji14]
For what it’s worth, we were talking specifically about work emails. Context definitely matters. :)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
My mum loves experimenting with her cake making... this one is CERTAINLY new.. and she just bought it round.

It's 'chocolate cake'. BUT, with some secret ingredients of... stout, and mustard.

She makes incredible cakes all the time, but we shall see how this one goes down [emoji14] :s
Mustard? Now that’s one I haven’t heard before.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
AH, yeah definitely, missed that bit XD.
You make a very good point. Culture and context definitely play a big part in how you'd write an email. Makes sense to me. You would probably want to format a personal email differently than one to someone who doesn't have time to sift through a lot of extraneous white noise.

I think @gpseymour is just upset that he crapped all over another thread and got it locked.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
You make a very good point. Culture and context definitely play a big part in how you'd write an email. Makes sense to me. You would probably want to format a personal email differently than one to someone who doesn't have time to sift through a lot of extraneous white noise.

Oh yeah for sure. And I could definitely see how it may be bad form to waffle on with too much detail in for example a company that has hundreds of emails coming through a DAY, and that needs it to be very to the point. Totally get that.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
50 is pretty nice. Almost shorts weather! We just hit 6pm sunsets, and will be at 7pm sunsets next week after daylight savings.

Latest Discussions