Last Poster #7

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you ever think about taking up a significant amount of tile and cement backer board in your house, my advice is to pay someone to do it for you. That job sucks. :)
True Story. I did that once on a small bathroom and said never again. That and drywall finishing. I dont mind hanging it but i dont have the skill or patience to finish it

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
True Story. I did that once on a small bathroom and said never again. That and drywall finishing. I dont mind hanging it but i dont have the skill or patience to finish it
Yeah, I've done drywall, too. It's a real pain. I'm good to do a few seams or patch a hole, but the idea of mudding an entire room sounds like hell.

On the tile, I ended up buying a hammer drill with a 3" chisel and got it done in a day... a long, grueling day, but it is done. Would have taken weeks without that drill, using a chisel and mallet.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'll look for it again later. Until then: this article does a good job of explaining it (or the video, the article is just the video written down). Sumo wrestlers eat up to 7,000 calories a day, yet they aren't unhealthy

You might also have better luck finding the original study using keywords in there then I did.
When you posted that, I flashed back to something I read a long time ago... apparently, while training and competing as a swimmer, Michael Phelps would routinely eat 8,000 to 10,000 calories a day while maintaining under 10% body fat.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'll look for it again later. Until then: this article does a good job of explaining it (or the video, the article is just the video written down). Sumo wrestlers eat up to 7,000 calories a day, yet they aren't unhealthy

You might also have better luck finding the original study using keywords in there then I did.
Okay, here's what I have found:
This one is kind of interesting. Not specific to sumo, but is relevant.

Couldn't read the entire article, but the abstract looks promising:

This is intriguing: In a sample of 96 rikishi (out of about 800, I think) they broke it out into four groups:
  1. overweight with obesity, 53.4%
  2. overweight without obesity, 39.1%
  3. nonoverweight with obesity, 1%
  4. nonoverweight without obesity 6.5%,
So, over half are overweight AND obese, and there was one guy in the sample who is not overweight, but still obese.

This was an interesting article, too. Not scientific, but describes the necessary transition following sumo and some of the realities of the sport: Let's address the elephant in the sumo ring

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
When you posted that, I flashed back to something I read a long time ago... apparently, while training and competing as a swimmer, Michael Phelps would routinely eat 8,000 to 10,000 calories a day while maintaining under 10% body fat.
on the downside, you drop training your weight jumps up.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I do not doubt it. But you are comparing an Olympic swimmer with exceptional genetics who had/has a majorly rigorous training schedule to the average Joe. Just not apples to apples.
I used to have trouble making weight (low) and would eat 6,000-8,000/day. And tons and tons of Amino Acids.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I do not doubt it. But you are comparing an Olympic swimmer with exceptional genetics who had/has a majorly rigorous training schedule to the average Joe. Just not apples to apples.
I used to have trouble making weight (low) and would eat 6,000-8,000/day. And tons and tons of Amino Acids.
Hold on. We're talking about 300 lbs sumo rikishi eating 7,000 calories a day and I shared some related information about another professional athlete. I'm not comparing him to anyone. At most, I'm inviting a comparison to a professional Sumo rikishi and not an average Joe. I think you made that jump all on your own.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hold on. We're talking about 300 lbs sumo rikishi eating 7,000 calories a day and I shared some related information about another professional athlete. I'm not comparing him to anyone. At most, I'm inviting a comparison to a professional Sumo rikishi and not an average Joe. I think you made that jump all on your own.
Fair enough. I don't know anything about the weight routine for Sumo's. But I imagine genetics also play into it for their elite as well.
Like a 350lb football lineman who are as fleet of foot as some safeties. Some folks can, some folks cannot. Some folks will burn through 8,000 calories faster than others.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Fair enough. I don't know anything about the weight routine for Sumo's. But I imagine genetics also play into it for their elite as well.
Like a 350lb football lineman who are as fleet of foot as some safeties. Some folks can, some folks cannot. Some folks will burn through 8,000 calories faster than others.
Yeah, that's all true. If you go back, the general idea is getting into the question of whether Sumo rikishi are healthier than they may appear, learning a little about visceral fat vs subcutaneous fat, and this distinction between overweight and obese, overweight and not obese, not overweight and obese, or not overweight and not obese.

Also, how these things shift for them after they retire and transition to not burning through as many calories.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

But sumo wrestlers don't usually suffer from these symptoms. So what's their trick? CT scans reveal that sumo wrestlers don't have much visceral fat at all. Instead, they store most of their fat right underneath the skin. That's why scientists think sumo wrestlers are healthy. They have normal levels of triglycerides, a type of fat in their blood, and unexpectedly low levels of cholesterol, both of which lower their risk of heart disease, heart attack, and stroke........

But as soon as the exercise stops, so does its benefits. When sumo wrestlers retire, they have to seriously cut calories or they become at risk for cardiovascular disease. That might explain why retired wrestlers reportedly die an estimated 10 years younger than the average Japanese citizen. So while the thought of eating 7,000 calories a day might be appealing, you probably shouldn't. Unless you're spending most of your day trying to topple a 400-pound man.......

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
And now, to get back into the ticketing system, that I was in, that they deleted me from.... I need a background check....... it just keeps getting betterer and betterer.

But then it may expose my life of crime that started early in life..... I once tried to escape the Navy...... when I was 3, I tried to ride my tricycle off the base....I got stopped by the shorepartrol who took me home......

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And now, to get back into the ticketing system, that I was in, that they deleted me from.... I need a background check....... it just keeps getting betterer and betterer.

But then it may expose my life of crime that started early in life..... I once tried to escape the Navy...... when I was 3, I tried to ride my tricycle off the base....I got stopped by the shorepartrol who took me home......
Hey, if you're not in the system, you can't work on any tickets. Enjoy a lazy day or two while they do their background check :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hey, if you're not in the system, you can't work on any tickets. Enjoy a lazy day or two while they do their background check :)

Actually I couldn't care less about the ticketing system, I tend to ignore it and work on what I need to and things go much faster. Probably why they deleted me from it, I had not logged onto it in about 3 months. I just think it is interesting how they continue to make the same or similar mistakes over and over again.

SInce that took over,
My email account was deleted
my password was randomly changing, and I was not changing it
I was locked out of my email (and this is good) I could only submit an email issue..... by sending an email
My email account has been deleted..again
My Blackberry account was deleted
My Adobe account was deleted (and I administer it for my office)
and not my account to the ticketing system has been deleted

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
a
Actually I couldn't care less about the ticketing system, I tend to ignore it and work on what I need to and things go much faster. Probably why they deleted me from it, I had not logged onto it in about 3 months. I just think it is interesting how they continue to make the same or similar mistakes over and over again.

SInce that took over,
I was locked out of my email (and this is good) I could only submit an email issue..... by sending an email
Ask them if they think you need to retire early....

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

We talking about IT help desk type tickets?

Related to your story, when I was 3 I wanted to go see Santa Claus "downtown" (this was Henrietta, TX, so that wsa maybe 1/2 mile down the road). I got my brother, who was 4, and two kids across the street (not sure how old, about the same age) and we all walked downtown to go see Santa Claus. Police picked us up as we were truckin' down the main drag in town toward city hall. I will never forget how much trouble I was in over that. Parents were beside themselves.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

SInce that took over,
Blackberry? What the heck? Are you guys still using Palm Pilots, too? :D

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If not more. My daughter trained with him at his swim club outside Baltimore. He described his diet one day to all the younger swimmers it was insane how much he ate and drank a day. It was over a dozen eggs a day, multiple energy drinks, pounds of meat

Latest Discussions