Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I go down similar rabbit holes on reddit. Some of my favorite subreddits:

r/pizza
r/unexpected
r/abruptchaos and
r/wholesomememes
r/todayiearned is a pretty good rabbit hole starter, itself. So many side-trips to learn more.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does everyone know about this pug? You, my wife and Steve's kid I'm sure have very different interests/videos that they watch, and from very different regions. I had no idea he was that popular?
He is referenced in every subgroup on TikTok that either Maria or I see. A colonel apparently referenced him in a Pentagon video call a few weeks ago.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
well, things are looking up, I can stop using crutches and use a cane, but I need to wrap the knee. Also Mrs Xue wanted me to get up on a ladder to clean the oile of leaves off the gutter covers over the garage...and my PT told me that he absolutely wanted me to stay off ladders...like I said...thing are looking up

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you get the dog, will you keep the name as Chumlee? That's a pretty cool name for a dog. Also, pics or it didn't happen. :D
Not only is his name chumlee but his breed is a bull sh**...half bulldog half shitzu...

Attachments

• 20211108_164818.jpg
    20211108_164818.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 85

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Grand Sumo tournament starting on Sunday. Will be the first official post-Hakuho tournament. End of an era.

Dang Mongols, they ruin everything :D

I watched a documentary, several years ago, on Sumo. At first I was absolutely amazed at how big they were based on the amount of exercise they did. But then I saw what they ate and I was no longer amazed. A lot of Sumo do not have a long life expectancy and those that retire and become trainers tend to lose a lot of weight. Or at least that is what the documentary seemed to show.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

I watched a documentary, several years ago, on Sumo. At first I was absolutely amazed at how big they were based on the amount of exercise they did. But then I saw what they ate and I was no longer amazed. A lot of Sumo do not have a long life expectancy and those that retire and become trainers tend to lose a lot of weight. Or at least that is what the documentary seemed to show.
I don't know a lot about that, but I have heard that sumo wrestlers tend to carry around as much subcutaneous fat as possible to give them mass. But that, due to their relatively healthy diet and constant exercise, they generally have low amounts of visceral fat. The suggestion being that they are much healthier than they may appear to our eyes. I haven't done any real digging into that, so all I really know is that they are shockingly athletic and agile for their size and power.

Regarding the Mongols... the newest, and only currently active Yokozuna... is a Mongol. Terunofuji. I don't know how long he'll be able to compete, as his knees are jacked up. But he's pretty dominant right now.

terunofuji.jpg

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

There was a health study (or conglomeration of health studies) that I read about a year or two ago-I think it was specifically done in response to covid, but don't hold me to that.

Basically, they found that despite their weight, sumo wrestler's didn't carry the extra risk for illness that others at their weight had, and were considered as healthy as other athletes in that regard. However, when looking at retired sumo wrestlers, even those out just a year or so (not sure if this takes trainer's into account), they were much closer to the health risks typically associated with obese individuals.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I don't know a lot about that, but I have heard that sumo wrestlers tend to carry around as much subcutaneous fat as possible to give them mass. But that, due to their relatively healthy diet and constant exercise, they generally have low amounts of visceral fat. The suggestion being that they are much healthier than they may appear to our eyes. I haven't done any real digging into that, so all I really know is that they are shockingly athletic and agile for their size and power.

Regarding the Mongols... the newest, and only currently active Yokozuna... is a Mongol. Terunofuji. I don't know how long he'll be able to compete, as his knees are jacked up. But he's pretty dominant right now.

terunofuji.jpg

I didn't mean to imply they were out of shape, I can't see how they could be based on the workout they had, and their diet was very healthy, no junk food. It was the amount of calories in that diet that shocked me, if I remember correctly it was about 10,000 calories or more a day

There was a health study (or conglomeration of health studies) that I read about a year or two ago-I think it was specifically done in response to covid, but don't hold me to that.

Basically, they found that despite their weight, sumo wrestler's didn't carry the extra risk for illness that others at their weight had, and were considered as healthy as other athletes in that regard. However, when looking at retired sumo wrestlers, even those out just a year or so (not sure if this takes trainer's into account), they were much closer to the health risks typically associated with obese individuals.

I believe, again, this documentary was several years ago, I don't think many retired Sumo get to 70 years old. As for trainers, I am basing that on the trainers they were showing as compared to photos of them when they were fighting.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Here's a good one to start the day, yet another fine example of the efficiency of the main IT group.

We have a ticketing system that users can submit issues to and then those tickets are supposed to be sent to the proper group...... Well...since I don't use it much, my account was deleted...along with 2 of my colleagues....both web developers......heck, little activity means no longer work here right....... now to get it back I have to "apply" for the license to use it, from the very group who deleted it in the first place..... now this is not the first time something like this happened....they, on 3 occasions, have deleted my Mac User accounts...because they did not see any activity on their network for an extended period of time...... my Mac users are not on their network, never have been, never will be....so now I am waiting to see if my "application" is approved.......:meh:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Looked it up last night, found 3 articles all clearly referencing the study that I'm referring to, since they're using almost the exact same verbiage to describe the results, while turning it into pop-science articles. However, none of them cite the study itself, and I can't find it through google scholar. Frustrating.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Looked it up last night, found 3 articles all clearly referencing the study that I'm referring to, since they're using almost the exact same verbiage to describe the results, while turning it into pop-science articles. However, none of them cite the study itself, and I can't find it through google scholar. Frustrating.
I'm curious, and would like to read it if you can find it.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
If you ever think about taking up a significant amount of tile and cement backer board in your house, my advice is to pay someone to do it for you. That job sucks. :)