Last Person #5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
The reason I prefer one of those pawn shop shows over Antique Roadshow is that on the pawn shows, the customers get mad, and amusing fights can ensue. On AR, people are more classy. If there is one thing I have learned, it's a simple math equation:

classy = boring
I can't watch the pawn shows. I like American pickers, but the lawn shows are about ripping people off. I don't enjoy watching that.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The reason I prefer one of those pawn shop shows over Antique Roadshow is that on the pawn shows, the customers get mad, and amusing fights can ensue. On AR, people are more classy. If there is one thing I have learned, it's a simple math equation:

classy = boring
I actually find the drama irritating. I'll watch Counting Cars, but not Orange County Choppers, for that reason.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You ever watch American pickers? I like those guys and the dudes they run into renind me of my neighbors.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You ever watch American pickers? I like those guys and the dudes they run into renind me of my neighbors.
I'm not sure if I've seen that one, but the premise looks familiar. I don't have access to most shows at home, so only catch the occasional bit of television when traveling on business or visiting relatives.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Made some Portuguese Bean Soup tonight. Came out tasty, but not how it was supposed to. Not even close.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Made some Portuguese Bean Soup tonight. Came out tasty, but not how it was supposed to. Not even close.
That same can be said of many things I've cooked, brother. In some cases, I just didn't get them the way they were supposed to be. In most cases, I just couldn't help messing with the recipe.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
Woking on a novella that I wrote in my senior year of college. It's about 22,000 words long, and I have had one hell of a time trying to find a place that would be willing to publish it.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
I haven't read through this story in a long time. Now I see ANOTHER reason people would have a hard time taking it.

And no, it's not because it is poorly written.

This might sound odd to say, but I think it is actually the opposite: too well-written!

See, back in the day writing was more about catharsis for me than it is now. These days, I tend to write simply because I might have a story that I think would be cool to tell, or sometimes I might want to make a point. However, when I was a young man, it was all about venting the anger and righting the wrongs...as Woody Allen said in the end of ANNIE HALL, making things come out perfect in art.

This particular story was written to help me vent after a break-up. It was the first time a relationship had ended due to being cheated on. You can imagine how much anger that could inspire...and if you CAN'T imagine it, then you could easily get the message from this story. It is probably the most graphic and brutal thing I ever wrote. I've written stories with death scenes that were more gruesome from a technical standpoint (i.e., more gruesome to be beheaded by a chainsaw than to be shot in the heart), but I think what pushes it over the edge is the emotional content...the dark tone...the reason behind the violence.

Now I see why so many people would be cautious around 20 year old me, and why my 11th grade English teacher said my writing "was like sandpaper on the psyche." Having said that, I don't think you can say this was a BAD comment on my writing. After all, if the goal was to express what I was feeling, and my feelings felt like sandpaper on MY psyche, then doesn't that make the writing effective?

Whether you judge it as "good" or not is another story. In my opinion, I think when most people say someone's writing is "bad," what they mean to say is they aren't a fan of that style. I have made this mistake myself sometimes. Not everyone is going to be a fan of abrasive stuff. I love the shocking writings of William S. Burroughs and the irritating feedback squalls of bands like Sonic Youth and Jesus and Mary Chain, but not everyone does. However, I do believe there is an audience (however limited) out there for just about anything.

The challenge will be to find the audience for THIS story!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Just watched Forged in Fire season 3 episode 11. The guy who won, Travis wuertz, is one funny dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions