Do BETTER martial artists train ONE art or MANY arts?

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I thought so. I emphasize that every block should be an attack. I see nothing wrong with backing up- it can be a devious trap for your opponent strategically.

Pssssht Jenna, I can't wait to get old. I'm 5'4 so by the time I'm in my 50s and 70s I'll be a little old man that all the youngins will surely think is a push-over, then I'll show them whippersnappers a thing or two XD.

Edit: made a typo. What I get for not re-reading and posting. Too much coffee.
Ah I am sure you do not worry over your height.. it is only disadvantageous if you believe it so! Your art is a good art then it will easily adapt to you.. not so good arts require you to change for them! :) Jxx

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I thought so. I emphasize that every block should be an attack. I see nothing wrong with backing up- it can be a devious trap for your opponent strategically..

There is a saying in Xingyiquan "Xingyiquan never backs up" but many take that to literally. It does back up, but it always attacks.... I like it

Pssssht Jenna, I can't wait to get old. I'm 5'4 so by the time I'm in my 50s and 70s I'll be a little old man that all the youngins will surely think is a push-over, then I'll show them whippersnappers a thing or two XD.

I think you just called me old :D

Shajikfer

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Eh age is relative. Grams is 91 and just lost her second tooth, so even when im 70 id still be young in her book relatively.

And yes Jenna, you're right. If anything I consider my height the perfect one for martial arts. Though if I could have longer arms that would be kinda nice I admit... I'd take that even if it made me look a bit like a monkey.

And I mean Xue, I hope you've never had MY experience; was in a kids department folding clothes at a seasonal job when this kid came up to me flabbergasted, absolutely in shock. He asked me if I was a really large kid, or a man-kid. In that order haha.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You sought the instruction of Master Ken?

I would love to work out with, have dinner with or generally get to know Master Ken.
What a great sense of humor that man has. It's not just the cool idea he came up with, I don't think a lot of people could pull that off - even with a Hollywood advisor. I enjoy a good chuckle from the Martial Arts world, lord knows we need some.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sadly many people today studying multiple arts for a very short period of time then move to a different art without learning what the first is really about.
There are many reasons for someone starting a new art but that should be a different discussion/thread but it should never be done because someone has studied a month of this two months of that and a few other things for a short period of time and then wants to make themselves look good by becoming an instant head of some made up system.
Those that study many years and learn from other arts as they go are opening there eyes and mind to different possibilities and expanding their knowledge. Those that dedicate themselves to a lifetime of training acknowledge that there is always more to learn

LOL exactly, and we've seen those people on this very forum. I've had people ask me how I could do Kenpo AND Modern Arnis. Simple: I wasn't in a rush. I wanted to learn the art, plain and simple. Whenever the belts, came, they came. It wasn't a priority.

RowdyAz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
To become a better martial artist do you train SEVERAL arts simultaneously (or change arts over the course of your MA lifespan) or do you train ONE art to the exclusion of all others? Thank you. Jx
It doesn't hurt to look around and see whats on offer for sure. But I find its better to be good at one thing than mediocre at alot. As with all practitioners, it's not what you are taught it's how good you are at it.

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It doesn't hurt to look around and see whats on offer for sure. But I find its better to be good at one thing than mediocre at alot. As with all practitioners, it's not what you are taught it's how good you are at it.
I wholeheartedly agree.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What would give you personally cause in your training to stop and think.. I must look around to see what else is on offer? Thank you, Jx

RowdyAz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
What would give you personally cause in your training to stop and think.. I must look around to see what else is on offer? Thank you, Jx
When you don't feel like going anymore and you lose the interest that you once had. If training becomes a chore, more I have too than I want too.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you don't feel like going anymore and you lose the interest that you once had. If training becomes a chore, more I have too than I want too.
..otherwise you would feel sticking with one art would serve a martial artist better?? If so, why?? Or if not, why not? Jx

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quite often though you don't have a choice about learning another art if you want to stay in martial arts. If you move around a lot ie in the military or your club closes down you don't always have the choice of staying in the same style. My instructor has a few black belts because he was in the army for over twenty years and did whatever style was available to him wherever in the world he was. I have two because my first club closed down when the local council sold the gym to a private company for flats and I couldn't travel at the time.
The moving around thing is one reason we don't ask children to change their belts to white when they join us after moving here, they are only going to be with us two to three years and some of the children have already been to a couple of different clubs, it's very discouraging to always go back to white belt every time they move, bad enough changing schools and friends. If they want to grade with us they can, they start at the beginning and earn our belts but only change when they go pass their original belt ( they do get one of our belts and a certificate though). Sounds confusing I know but service children have enough going on in their lives without any hassle from something they should enjoy doing. We have a very broad curriculum so nobody feels left out! We aim that whatever club they go to next won't be too strange, we teach the various ways you can bow, the various fighting stances, instructions in Japanese, English and Korean and anything else that's interesting. The children have a folder where they collect information, pictures etc about all the different martial arts.
One of the children, a teenage boy was close to his Shotokan brown belt so our instructor whose karate style is Shotokan taught him and graded him up, the lad joined the army, his father's regiment, and gained his black, Two years later he was killed in Afghan, he was only twenty one. ( we also lost one of our MMA students just twenty, out there) All our child students know someone who was killed or injured in Afghan, so if our style of teaching, grading and whatever upsets some because it's not 'pure', to be honest we really don't care. :cool:

RowdyAz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
..otherwise you would feel sticking with one art would serve a martial artist better?? If so, why?? Or if not, why not? Jx
This really is a question only Chuck Norris could answer.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Quite often though you don't have a choice about learning another art if you want to stay in martial arts. If you move around a lot ie in the military or your club closes down you don't always have the choice of staying in the same style. My instructor has a few black belts because he was in the army for over twenty years and did whatever style was available to him wherever in the world he was. I have two because my first club closed down when the local council sold the gym to a private company for flats and I couldn't travel at the time.
The moving around thing is one reason we don't ask children to change their belts to white when they join us after moving here, they are only going to be with us two to three years and some of the children have already been to a couple of different clubs, it's very discouraging to always go back to white belt every time they move, bad enough changing schools and friends. If they want to grade with us they can, they start at the beginning and earn our belts but only change when they go pass their original belt ( they do get one of our belts and a certificate though). Sounds confusing I know but service children have enough going on in their lives without any hassle from something they should enjoy doing. We have a very broad curriculum so nobody feels left out! We aim that whatever club they go to next won't be too strange, we teach the various ways you can bow, the various fighting stances, instructions in Japanese, English and Korean and anything else that's interesting. The children have a folder where they collect information, pictures etc about all the different martial arts.
One of the children, a teenage boy was close to his Shotokan brown belt so our instructor whose karate style is Shotokan taught him and graded him up, the lad joined the army, his father's regiment, and gained his black, Two years later he was killed in Afghan, he was only twenty one. ( we also lost one of our MMA students just twenty, out there) All our child students know someone who was killed or injured in Afghan, so if our style of teaching, grading and whatever upsets some because it's not 'pure', to be honest we really don't care. :cool:
I cannot even imagine how a family would cope after having a son killed like that.. or like any way.. My heart just automatically goes to them if they are around still..

As for pure art.. how do you mean that Tez? Are not most all art are some form of another art in some way?? Thank you Jx

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cannot even imagine how a family would cope after having a son killed like that.. or like any way.. My heart just automatically goes to them if they are around still..

As for pure art.. how do you mean that Tez? Are not most all art are some form of another art in some way?? Thank you Jx

By that I mean teaching just one art and nothing else.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
By that I mean teaching just one art and nothing else.
You mean like instructors who teach one art?? sorry.. I am being dumb today (haha that is not unusual!!) xx

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You mean like instructors who teach one art?? sorry.. I am being dumb today (haha that is not unusual!!) xx

People have said before to us that we should just be teaching one art, not teaching about others as well as teaching groundwork. Most other schools and clubs are a one style place, we aren't, we are a martial arts club because that's what suits our students. There's already been comments on here about being the jack of all trades, master of none and how can you be any good if you learn/teach more than one style. If we only taught one style we would have very few students and many more would miss out on martial arts because they don't come from that one style, this way we can accommodate as many as want to do martial arts. We aren't a 'normal' club/school as you can see. It would be nice if we could just do one style, to go into huge depth and have students go from white to black but that won't happen, the most we get students for is about three years if that. We've never had anyone stay long enough to get to black belt

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People have said before to us that we should just be teaching one art, not teaching about others as well as teaching groundwork. Most other schools and clubs are a one style place, we aren't, we are a martial arts club because that's what suits our students. There's already been comments on here about being the jack of all trades, master of none and how can you be any good if you learn/teach more than one style. If we only taught one style we would have very few students and many more would miss out on martial arts because they don't come from that one style, this way we can accommodate as many as want to do martial arts. We aren't a 'normal' club/school as you can see. It would be nice if we could just do one style, to go into huge depth and have students go from white to black but that won't happen, the most we get students for is about three years if that. We've never had anyone stay long enough to get to black belt
Thank you for explaining! :) Yes! I imagine if it is to the benefit of the students then it is of not much concern about "purity".. why though do you think it would be like you say nice to do one style and go into huge depth? What is the difference? thank you Jx

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for explaining! :) Yes! I imagine if it is to the benefit of the students then it is of not much concern about "purity".. why though do you think it would be like you say nice to do one style and go into huge depth? What is the difference? thank you Jx

We can only touch a small part of a style, it would be lovely to have a student in at white belt have them train up to black then carry on as an instructor. We can't teach more than a couple of katas and their Bunkai to people, nor can we teach advance techniques to students from scratch. We do get some senior students in but often from other styles, they adapt quickly but usually it's an add on for them as they usually retain their love for their original style.
On the other hand we do get a wealth of different experiences in from our students, we can all do various styles of roundhouse kicks now lol. There's always something to learn from each other.

Latest Discussions