Martial arts lifestyle survey

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Didn't know how to answer the question about the "large local martial arts retailer." I bought a cup and some hand wraps from Sports Authority, but there was nothing about corporate retailers.

Done!

OP
CDA4555

CDA4555

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who has taken the survey. Results to follow, but keep taking the survey anyway!

OP
CDA4555

CDA4555

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks to all for taking this survey. Here is the link to check out the questionnaire replies:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/sr.aspx?sm=wCPKK9DeqmhYLryiVBmaqoPMWJxP34hYArwWLKqgZ28_3d

To date, 82 martial artists has taken the survey. The overwhelming majority of the responses came from men with 84% of respondents being male compared to 16% female.

46.9% of the respondents were between 31 to 40 years of age with 61% of all respondents having 5 or more years of martial arts experience.

52.4% of respondents spend between $50.00 dollars to $200.00 dollars per year on equipment. Also, 31.7% of respondents reported spending over $200.00 dollars per year on equipment.

The preferred way of purchasing martial arts gear is online with 63.8% preferring the internet over retail stores. For the 51.3% of people who bought at a retail shop, they reported that smaller "mom and pop" stores were still the place to go with the pro shop coming in second.

As for what martial art each respondent has studied...well, it was amazing to see how many people have trained in multiple disciplines. As you can see from the questionnaire, the majority of respondents practice more than one martial art. Talk about true mixed martial artists!

More questionnaires to follow.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I appreciated the intent of your survey, I found it not easily applicable to my situation. The assumption in the survey is that everyone who answers it is a student of a MA, rather than an instructor. An instructor's buying habits would most likely be quite different because they would be buying equipment for their school as well as personal use.

Something to consider in future surveys.

All my best.

OP
CDA4555

CDA4555

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Excellent point! I never even thought about the point of view from the instructor or owner of a MA school. The needs of an instructor would be far greater than that of a practitioner, in most cases, I think it would be very interesting for a future survey to be just for instructors. Thanks!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Excellent point! I never even thought about the point of view from the instructor or owner of a MA school. The needs of an instructor would be far greater than that of a practitioner, in most cases, I think it would be very interesting for a future survey to be just for instructors. Thanks!

Yes I agree and would like to see the result from those of us out there.

Latest Discussions