How many arts are you studying or training in?

How many martial arts are you currently studying or training in?

• 5 or more

Results are only viewable after voting.
K

Kiz Bell

I was wondering - how many martial arts are you studying or training in right now?

If you're studying more than one, how do they affect each other? What are they and how are they related? Do you think cross-training enhances your martial arts experience or do you think it is better to train in only one thing at a time?

At the moment I'm doing Iaido and Jodo, which are very closely related weapon arts. I'm also interested in learning Kendo, naginata-do, and ju-jutsu, but I won't be taking them all on this year because I have a small brain and limited training time - but that's just me. I was wondering what other peoples thought and experiences on training in more than one art at a time were.

OP
T

TkdWarrior

i practice 2 arts(TKD, TaiChi) they don't seems like blending together but they do for me at least.. i m not practicing much these days but there is no problems...
but i think learning other arts when u hav good base in other styles is much better than just starting with many arts... after spending 6 yrs i looked for other arts(TaiChi i always like those slow movements)
-TkdWarrior-

Yari

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by TkdWarrior

but i think learning other arts when u hav good base in other styles is much better than just starting with many arts...

I agree totally. A good base is needed to understand otherthings.

/Yari

OP
K

KenpoGirl

My instructor has created a cirriculum (sp?) that merges to systems. American Kenpo (16 Technique) and Modern Arnis. Both Systems are complet, so but the time you reach Black Belt it will be for both systems.

It will of course take a little longer to get to black belt but I think it's great. Becasue you are taking advantage of learning the basics together and taking what you learn in arnis and using it for any of the "club" techniques and visa versa.

Dot
:asian:

OP
R

RyuShiKan

I guess I am just a “one trick pony” I only have time for one art.

OP
T

TkdWarrior

Originally posted by KenpoGirl
My instructor has created a cirriculum (sp?) that merges to systems. American Kenpo (16 Technique) and Modern Arnis. Both Systems are complet, so but the time you reach Black Belt it will be for both systems.
well thats intresting...
ur teacher created it...so guess it's his headache to put tje curricullum in his students head :D
wat u need is to practice n listen to him
-TkdWarrior-

jkn75

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I train in one art, Kuk Sool Won. To me, it is very complete in that it teaches all ranges of combat, in addition to a number of weapons. Granted we never become as proficient in grappling as a Judo practitioner, but we are at least exposed to it.

I try to learn about and observe other arts, though. Studying martial arts is something that a lot of martial artists fail to do. There are a lot of similarities but the subtle differences in the arts are what makes it really interesting.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just one MA (TKD) currently, however, I definitely want to begin cross-training this year. Perhaps I'll take up Hapkido or Shotokan Karate, I don't know yet. I'm still searching for the right cross-training art. BTW, next week I'm taking an introductory Jeet Kune Do class to see what that's like... :karate:

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Currently I train in 2 - Western boxing and Jujutsu. They complement each other very well. Not all arts have complimentary philosophies and strategies though (eg. Aikido and Muay Thai).

I think that cross-training is the way to go but don't overdue it. It is easy to overtrain your body and overstrain your pocket book :)

Remember, you only have so many hours in a day, and some many dollars. Why rush, 2 at a time is more than enough for cross-trainers unless your competing in MMA events.

Have a balanced life. Don't forget about what is truly important (ie. friends, family, career, etc.).

Peace & blessings

OP
R

rmcrobertson

I'm already crosstraining. I'm doing American kenpo with a good instructor.

OP
S

Shinzu

i am only training TSD now. i have studied shotokan and kung fu also. i like taking it one at a time, but i am always open for learning new techniques from different styles.

ace

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Submisson Wrestling
Modern Arnis
Ju Jitsu & Wrestling

I've also Practise J.K.D./Mauy Thai , Boxing & Judo

I look to see what is comon & adapt what works 4 me:D
Im alway's opean to new ideas.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by RyuShiKan
I guess I am just a “one trick pony” I only have time for one art.

You're not the only one. If I did anymore I think I'd be divorced for sure.;)

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I do Yiliquan (although it contains Xingyiquan, Taijiquan and Baguazhang, we are not a Xingyi, Taiji nor Bagua school).

I studied Modern Arnis for a while in Japan, and I would really like to learn more.

Hopefully, I will soon be admitted to a Shinto Muso-ryu Jojutsu school about an hour away...

Gonna be hard to keep up on everything, but it is worth the work.

OP
K

Kiz Bell

My problem is that everytime time I see an interesting art at a demonstration or in a book a want to give it a go. It's got worse since I've been haunting this forum - all these people doing fascinating arts and not afraid to promote them! Yiliquan1, after reading your posts you've convinced me that I'd love yiliquan, too. Thank god there's no school I know of anywhere even close to near by or that would be on my list too. :D

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kiz -

If you ever make it up to the Seattle/Tacoma area, let me know. You can hang out with us, train with us, whatever.

Alternately, should I ever make it down your way, I'll let you know and we can meet up so you can see what Yili is like.

Gambarimasu.
:asian:

OP
F

fringe_dweller

Originally posted by jfarnsworth
That makes sense to me. More freetime to practice what you'd like.

Wouldn't mind getting married so I can practice what *I* like... :eek:

Latest Discussions