Have any of you married martial artists?

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi! I just wondered if any of you married martial artists after being in martial arts for awhile? Or, did you start martial arts because your husband or wife was in it? I'm going to marry a martial artist in July, and thank God for that as he knows the importance of training to me. I was in martial arts for 4 years before I met him. :)

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, I didin't marry anyone associated with the marital arts. However I do believe a marriage would work a little better if both parties involved were into martial arts together or seperately.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was dating an instructor before I ever started formal training and he was my teacher for a short while before we married. I tried training with him again after we were married but it didn't work.

R

rmcpeek

Kind of, we've been living together for 4 years now. We do plan on getting married one of these days. We were both instructors. Now we run our own school.

K

Kempogeek

jfarnsworth said:
No, I didin't marry anyone associated with the marital arts. However I do believe a marriage would work a little better if both parties involved were into martial arts together or seperately.
I agree. Having something in common with your spouse can be a way for a happy marriage. Course that's not always the case. If Im ever fortunate to meet that "someone special", it wouldn't matter to me if she's in the martial arts or not. As long as there's a love and caring for each, that's a plus for me. But if she's in martial arts, even better. Also if she happens to be a higher belt, no bruised me ego from me. I know that she went through blood, sweat and tears to reach it. IMO I still have a alot to learn in my discipline. BTW if the day ever comes, you all are invited to the wedding. Date and time to follow. :cool: All the best, Steve...PS: Beauty_In_The_Sai, Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and all the best to you both!

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My cousin and his wife were both black belts when they got married. They met through the martial arts.

I dated a fellow martial artist for a while. What an unmitigated disaster that was!

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well my wife married me and now 15 years later she is a BB in TKD she really never took it up until I started training the Kids and then she got involve, GOD I LOVE HER AND BOY CAN SHE KICK!!!!

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:

I agree. I'm not "married" to my spouse. We don't have the piece of paper, but we are just like being married.

Anyways, I was in TSD for roughly 6 to 8 months when we met. I stayed in it for another 6 months, before we moved to NY together. He was always interested in MA anyways. He just never got the guts to join a school. But when we moved, we joined TKD together. He ended up passing me in rank, and now he's a BB.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kempogeek said:
I agree. Having something in common with your spouse can be a way for a happy marriage. Course that's not always the case. If Im ever fortunate to meet that "someone special", it wouldn't matter to me if she's in the martial arts or not. As long as there's a love and caring for each, that's a plus for me. But if she's in martial arts, even better.!
I can tell you from first hand experience after having 1 failed marriage of her saying "Would you just stop going to the karate studio". I kinda thought one day a week of doing what I love to do was not asking for much. :idunno: Unforunately we had to part ways. My current wife now gets irritated when I practice at home but I say "Would you rather me be at the bars running all god hours of the night or be home"?
Just thought I'd share my experiences :asian:

K

Kempogeek

jfarnsworth said:
I can tell you from first hand experience after having 1 failed marriage of her saying "Would you just stop going to the karate studio". I kinda thought one day a week of doing what I love to do was not asking for much. :idunno: Unforunately we had to part ways. My current wife now gets irritated when I practice at home but I say "Would you rather me be at the bars running all god hours of the night or be home"?
i understand where you are coming from sir. I know someone at the school who's been there before. He's an avid martial artist. Been training in different styles for years. His spouse unfortunately wasn't into it and complained alot about his constant training. Well I heard that he's going through a divorce. Im not surprised and it's a shame as he's a knowledgable and an animated guy. I can only hope for the best for him and that this won't stop his training. If Im right, this wont stop him. Hopefully he'll be back when he feels the time is right. All the best, Steve

OP
beauty_in_the_sai

beauty_in_the_sai

Green Belt
Reaction score
jfarnsworth said:
I think it was noble and devoted of you to stick with martial arts through that. I guess I just got lucky....I dunno. I hope your next attempt goes better, sir.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was already a BB when my "future" wife started training in the dojo where I met her. At brown belt she needed to get some teaching time in and I needed an assistant instructor and she started assisting with my classes. After 1 month I asked her out and i year to the day I asked her out I asked her to marry me. She has been my assistant instructor since that time. We have now been married for 3 1/2 years and are still going strong. She has always stuck with me and we both back each other up. We are always going to train together and it keeps us tight.

BigCat63

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I started studying martial arts after I was married. A year later my wife started also. She got her Black Belt 3 weeks ago.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had started Kenpo way before I got married. Before our marriage, he took one semester worth of karate in college (he doesn't know what kind, but it looks similar to Shotokan). We then married and my husband joined me with Kenpo for about a year (just to see what it is like). He has no interest in participating in any style, but he is a big supporter of my two sons and me training with Kenpo.

- Ceicei

Fightback2

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm married to a bb. He wasn't in Karate when we got together but joined shortly afterward. Before I joined him in karate I didn't really mind the nights that he spent at the dojo. It made him happy so I was happy (and it gave me the house to myself to curl up and read in peace :) ). Of course I'm happier now that we're doing it together.

Watching my Sensei and his wife is a complete different story. When she shows up at the dojo (rarely thank you very much) she doesn't even speak to the rest of us. She has made it extremely clear though that if Sensei spends more than a couple of nights a week in the dojo he's in deep *expletive deleted by me*. I think that's why he's always saying thank you over and over again to the black belts who teach on the nights when he can't make it. He was in karate for many years before they got together.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Fightback2 said:
I'm married to a bb. He wasn't in Karate when we got together but joined shortly afterward. Before I joined him in karate I didn't really mind the nights that he spent at the dojo. It made him happy so I was happy (and it gave me the house to myself to curl up and read in peace :) ). Of course I'm happier now that we're doing it together.

Watching my Sensei and his wife is a complete different story. When she shows up at the dojo (rarely thank you very much) she doesn't even speak to the rest of us. She has made it extremely clear though that if Sensei spends more than a couple of nights a week in the dojo he's in deep *expletive deleted by me*. I think that's why he's always saying thank you over and over again to the black belts who teach on the nights when he can't make it. He was in karate for many years before they got together.
To bad for him. I feel sorry for the Instructors that have to go through this. I had one instructor that had that same problem(still ongoing, glad I don't train there anymore) and it makes for some tense situations. Her problem with the whole thing was that their son was not the one that the school was going to be left to. I know this has happened elsewhere and it has not went over well. It is really a shame.
icon9.gif

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
My ex husband was not a MA'ist, he was not negitive about my training but he never really understood how important it was to me.

Im with a MA'ist now and its quite different, we train in VERY different styles so although he can understand how important it is in my life, it can still be hard to understand why we do some of the things we do at my Dojo.

But it is very cool being able to talk to him about my training, and that he actually cares..he's the best! :)

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
No, because I'm still single and looking. Martial arts is a more recent interest though and it's not exactly the best way to meet women. Ballroom dancing is my main social activity and there are a lot more women participants. Assuming I do eventually get married, I think it will be more likely that I'll marry another ballroom dancer than another martial artist.

Latest Discussions