Do BETTER martial artists train ONE art or MANY arts?

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We can only touch a small part of a style, it would be lovely to have a student in at white belt have them train up to black then carry on as an instructor. We can't teach more than a couple of katas and their Bunkai to people, nor can we teach advance techniques to students from scratch. We do get some senior students in but often from other styles, they adapt quickly but usually it's an add on for them as they usually retain their love for their original style.
On the other hand we do get a wealth of different experiences in from our students, we can all do various styles of roundhouse kicks now lol. There's always something to learn from each other.
Sounds like you all succeed in adapting both students and instructors alike! I do very much like the idea of lots of different experiences all in the one place.. I think one aspect I do not recall reading in this thread is that there can be a certain insularity in training not just one art and but one single art in one single place with one single group of people.. On the other hand, I understand how you mean and I imagine it can be frustrating maybe? not being able to do the entire syllabus.. still, from here Tez, it sounds fun in your training hall! I would have such a time with all of those different inputs.. it would be so fun learning some thing from everybody there.. anyway yes I understand how you mean and but I know you do the best by your lot and hey thank you for reply! :) wishes, Jxxx

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like an interesting club Tez!

Our club is also diverse. What might constitute a "style" for us is somewhat nebulous. For example, when I teach HEMA, we use a variety of sources, the author of each could be said to the master of a particular "style". For example, our longsword curriculum uses Andreas Paurnfeyndt for beginners, and then moves on to the VonDanzig manuscript, and fills in some holes with Joachim Meyer's book and the "Dobringer" manuscriupt. Our half-swording comes from Gladiatoria (MS KK5013). Is that one style or five? They're all "German Longsword", but spread out over more than 100 years. Likewise our messer is based on three manuscripts, all German. Our medieval grappling is only one though. That's as close to "pure" as our club's HEMA gets. As long as our guys can fight well and use what they've been taught, I'm happy.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is a saying in Xingyiquan "Xingyiquan never backs up" but many take that to literally. It does back up, but it always attacks.... I like it

I think you just called me old :D
I never heard that saying what do you mean by it "xingyiquan never back up"

Personally id never say old, unless im talking about expired food or stuff like that. When talking about people i prefer terms like wise, mature, or sophisticated... less likley to cause anger or get myself in trouble :D

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I can't comment on Xing yi, but we have similar mottos in the branch of Wing Chun I practice. Basically, once you engage, you maintain continuous forward intent. You try to make your whole body (limbs, trunk, stance and steps) exert forward pressure, something like a spring. This pressure can be light or heavy, but it is relentless. You never pull back or retreat of your own accord. But you can yield or move back, as long as you maintain forward energy ...just as a spring can be compressed backwards even as it constantly presses forward. So if an opponent crashes into you, you can let his force press you back or aside. You just don't pull back on your own.

In Wing Chun this is expressed in the famous kuen kuit or fighting verse: Loi lau hoi sung, lat sau jik chung -- Stay with what comes, follow the retreat and thust forward when the way is free.

Interestingly, the DTE Eskrima I train also preaches constant forward pressure, although in practice, a good deal of evasion is also employed, especially at longer ranges. However, once engaged at the corto range, we maintain a similar forward pressure.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

It is generally interpreted incorrectly as xingyiquan always goes forward. In reality it does back up, but it always attacks even when backing up and that is what it really means is xingyiquan always attacks.... xingyiquan never backs up

Personally id never say old, unless im talking about expired food or stuff like that. When talking about people i prefer terms like wise, mature, or sophisticated... less likley to cause anger or get myself in trouble :D

Code words for old...HEY!!! are you calling me old again???? :D

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
To become a better martial artist do you train SEVERAL arts simultaneously (or change arts over the course of your MA lifespan) or do you train ONE art to the exclusion of all others? Thank you. Jx

My martial art is a mixed martial art - so I am training in several arts simultaneously. While this is what I wanted as I believe its "better" for me to train this way - it is also at times confusing to me as a newer martial arts student. I often have to ask the instructor - "wait what is this?" (silat, Kali, Jun Fan, Wing Chun, Muay Thai, Shoot, BJJ, or what?).

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
do you train SEVERAL arts simultaneously ...
You should use one art as the major art to build up your foundation. You then train your minor arts afterward, not simultanously but one after another. For example, you may spend 6 years in your major art A, after 6 years, you may spend 3 years in your minor art B, another 3 years in your minor art C, and ...

The draw back of this approach is you will never be "pure" in your minor arts training. All your minor arts will have your major art "flavor" no matter you like it or not.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My advice is to master ONE discipline, before jump to the next one if you want (simultaneously or not).
If you don't master your mother tongue... how will you understand the second language? I know people with extensive experience and no strong points!! Maybe because they jumped too much. And / or never found a good instructor...
I also understand people that chose (and change) the discipline according to the age (or body capacity) and objectives at the moment.

OP
Jenna

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You should use one art as the major art to build up your foundation. You then train your minor arts afterward, not simultanously but one after another. For example, you may spend 6 years in your major art A, after 6 years, you may spend 3 years in your minor art B, another 3 years in your minor art C, and ...

The draw back of this approach is you will never be "pure" in your minor arts training. All your minor arts will have your major art "flavor" no matter you like it or not.
You suggest majoring in and minoring in.. can you say why that approach would be better than either of these two alternatives:
1. 'majoring' in one art exclusively
2. 'minoring' in several arts simultaneously with no particular major?
thank you

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The draw back of this approach is you will never be "pure" in your minor arts training

You see, this is what I mean, people saying your art isn't 'pure' :rolleyes:

My advice is to master ONE discipline, before jump to the next one if you want (simultaneously or not).
If you don't master your mother tongue... how will you understand the second language? I know people with extensive experience and no strong points!! Maybe because they jumped too much. And / or never found a good instructor...
I also understand people that chose (and change) the discipline according to the age (or body capacity) and objectives at the moment.

You have to understand too that not everyone actually gets the chance to just do one discipline as I said, we don't all get to choose.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You suggest majoring in and minoring in.. can you say why that approach would be better than either of these two alternatives:
1. 'majoring' in one art exclusively
2. 'minoring' in several arts simultaneously with no particular major?
thank you
The problem of "major in one art exclusively" is your vision may be too narrow. You may not look at one thing from "different angles". Also you may have too much "style boundary" attitude such as "my style doesn't do this".

For example, if you train BJJ only, you may not spend enough time in your "mobility" training.

If you try to "minor in several arts simultaneously with no particular major", you will never have a strong foundation to build your skills on. Some styles have contradicted principles. If you train both at the same time, it will confuse you big time.

For example, when you throw a punch, long fist require your arm and chest to be in a straight line (for maximum reach and maximum power) while WC require your arm and chest to be in an 90 degree angle (for fast punches combo).

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you try to "minor in several arts simultaneously with no particular major", you will never have a strong foundation to build your skills on. Some styles have contradicted principles. If you train both at the same time, it will confuse you big time.

For example, when you throw a punch, long fist require your arm and chest to be in a straight line (for maximum reach and maximum power) while WC require your arm and chest to be in an 90 degree angle (for fast punches combo).

You can't actually say that for certain, a lot of people can master several things that seem counter intuitive, you shouldn't be sure so that because you can't do something other's can't.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can't actually say that for certain, a lot of people can master several things that seem counter intuitive, you shouldn't be sure so that because you can't do something other's can't.
When you ask me ,

- "Do you like method A, or method B?" and I said, "I like both."
- "What MA style should I train?" and I said, "All MA are good."

I may not offend anybody during online discussion, but I'll dishonest to myself. I can only say what I believe and understand. I don't expect others to agree with me.

IMO, online discussion is to "express yourself" and not to "change other's mind". If you strongly believe in something, just say it.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Kids grow up speaking 8 languages. There are a few who only learn one. Mostly us English speakers.

No it will be a lot harder learning two.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Dance is generally the example I give here. As different disciplines are subtly different and something you have to get right.

Yet a dancer is generally expected to perform multi styles to be viable as a dancer.

Martial arts is not any more complicated.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You see, this is what I mean, people saying your art isn't 'pure' :rolleyes:
Kids grow up speaking 8 languages. There are a few who only learn one. Mostly us English speakers.

No it will be a lot harder learning two.
I have been in US for 45 years. When I speak English, I still have a little bit of Chinese accent. I don't believe I will ever be able to get rid of my Chinese accent completely no matter how hard that I may try.

My English will never be "pure". But my American wife likes my Chinglish. She said it's cute.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have been in US for 45 years. When I speak English, I still have a little bit of Chinese accent. I don't believe I will ever be able to get rid of my Chinese accent completely no matter how hard that I may try.

My English will never be "pure". But my American wife likes my Chinglish. She said it's cute.

It is funny. I have found people who grow up learning English learn it in the accent they are taught it.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

My mother was Cajun. French was her first language, began learning English in the 1st grade, also studied and spoke Parisian French. Spoke all with differing accents.
Have a part time student who is fluent in 5 different languages. Said he learned them while living in Europe from the age of 7-14. Worked for the military as a interpreter because his accents were correct for the languages.
I have taught multiple martial arts to hundreds of people over the years and they are excellent martial artists. The human being is capable of learning vast amounts of material when the information is presented properly.