How many arts are you studying or training in?

How many martial arts are you currently studying or training in?

• 5 or more

Results are only viewable after voting.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've had my share of fiddling with other arts that's for sure. My list would have been exactly as this
1. TKD - This gave me a good base to accel (what I feel to accel) in kenpo

2. Kenpo - I love it and It will always be me final art that will remain with me for the rest of my life.

3. JJ - Again I'd love to do more in it. I can easily adapt from many hrs. put on the wrestling mat.

Anyways that was my idea of training in more than 1 art.

OP
R

Rainman

Originally posted by Kiz Bell
I was wondering - how many martial arts are you studying or training in right now?

If you're studying more than one, how do they affect each other? What are they and how are they related? Do you think cross-training enhances your martial arts experience or do you think it is better to train in only one thing at a time?

At the moment I'm doing Iaido and Jodo, which are very closely related weapon arts. I'm also interested in learning Kendo, naginata-do, and ju-jutsu, but I won't be taking them all on this year because I have a small brain and limited training time - but that's just me. I was wondering what other peoples thought and experiences on training in more than one art at a time were.

The art of concepts, theories and principles. Ak is the system and physical vehicle attached. I look at any systems ideas, technique and so forth- Really it is in the instructors you encounter that make the real difference. There is a lot of variation and discourse specialization within kenpoland- if you want search it out.

OP
I

islandtime

Originally posted by Kiz Bell
I was wondering - how many martial arts are you studying or training in right now?
........................................................................................

I am currently studying one martial art, Iaido; but I am studying 2 different styles. Kuniba Ryu and Mugai Ryu.

Gene Gabel
:asian:

OP
J

Jester

I'm currently only studying one martial art (kick boxing) which is fine. But I am just about to start a second (either Aikido or Jujitsu) I wish to encorporate a more traditional art that involves locks, throws holds stuff like that to make myself more well rounded. These arts often include weapons training as well which is something I would like to do.

OP
M

Master of Blades

Originally posted by KennethKu
IronHand

I'm interested.........what actually is Iron Hand and what does it involve? :confused:

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've done Tang Soo Do and Hapkido mixer. Good mix, I think. I added Jujitsu to that mix before I moved. I liked all three.

Now I do TKD and Chin Na mix. I'm about to add Judo in a week or two. Can't wait :D

OP
J

Jester

Originally posted by arnisador
What type of kickboxing?

Freestyle, in the UK.

Matt rules (not ring). Light contact continuos fighting.

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I voted 2, since I have begun to study some aikido to go with the kenpo, but I forgot about the Tai Chi. I guess practicing it everyday has become so natural I don't think of it as work anymore.

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

I'm currently studying JKD, Muay Thai, Savate, Boxing, Brazilian Jiujitsu, Kali, and recently a new class of capoeira. My gym promotes MMA, but it is taught through a few different instructors. They all believe Mixed Martial Arts is most effective, but teach each art individually so that a student may see what works for him/her.

I feel that learning more than 2 arts at a time, is overkill, but i suppose it depends on the skill level of the student. I personally feel overloaded with too much information, and not enough time to perfect everything I'm learning. Its actually discouraging me from training. :( :(

OP
K

Kroy

I train in Kenpo, but add various forms of grappling.

OP
K

khadaji

I study Fencing and Systema. I have done others in the past as well.

They realy caused some problems when I first started doing two at once. But now they help eachother. Using a sword realy makes knife work, and disarming seem a lot easier. Adding in the body movement of systema, helps dodge sword strikes.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Gotta change my vote. I do TKD (I changed Dojangs since my last post), but we do a little of everything. My master and a few other instructors did judo. That's in there. Plus what ever else my teacher(s) threw in there. I don't know how or why yet, but it's damn good :D *bows respectfully to them*

Latest Discussions