How many arts are you studying or training in?

How many martial arts are you currently studying or training in?

• 5 or more

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Two. My primary style is American Kenpo (EPAK) and my secondary style is DanZan Ryu Jujitsu.

I find the two styles complement each other. DZRJ helps me to understand and do Kenpo better.

- Ceicei

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
The style I teach is a combination of Villari's Shaolin Kempo and American Kenpo. My instructor got his training through the Villari system. He added numerous American Kenpo techniques to his system but did not get formal training in it. I am no longer affiliated with him but I have been working on my own, trying to complete the techniques for American Kenpo through various videos and manuals. When I get some free time (sooner rather than later, I hope), I would like to get formal training in American Kenpo. I have also spent about a year and a half studying goju, got up to Purple belt before taking a break.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hapkido and Tae Kwon Do.....TKD twice a week and hapkido after my 2nd TKD class. They don't contradict each other, however it is a lot to take in.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Two arts; Wado Karate and Ju Jutsu. They work very well together.

Trained in Wado and Kobudo before. The Kobudo stances messed up my karate so I had to let one of them go. Perhaps I`ll do Kobudo again when I am more experienced.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yagyu Shin Kage Ryu, and recently started Aikido. I wanted to take another art that complimented my sword training. I've been told that YSKR does help with Aikido, but not the other way around. I am catching the bokken and jo work in Aikido a tad faster than the empty-hand techniques. It's quite different to me, since I'm more used to a striking art (from my TKD days).

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Two. My primary art is TKD and I've practiced Kumdo for the past 4+ years in addition. I've also practiced HaeDongKumdo and Hapkido in the past, and would again in a heart beat, but there just isn't enough hours in the week to pursue that many arts. Unless I win the Lotto of course. :)

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The art that I teach, Yilichuan, is more than enough for me! I do like to practice iaido - but it's not on a real regular basis...

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I went with one cause right now I'm busting my butt trying to get everything I ever learned in Bando back into tip top form.

Previously, I also trained in Jiu Jitsu, TKD, Yang style Tai Chi and a little bit in JKD.

Realistically though, Bando is HUGE - I've got the Burmese boxing, wrestling, grappling, trapping, forms, weapons, Cobra and other animal sets... jeez... ;)

Dark

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Right now I have one martial art I'm training in, my own whatever blur they all fade into, thats what I'd doing. Don't want to call my own system, but sine it's nothing like what in my area it's all mine...

painstain

Green Belt
Reaction score
i waited a while in tkd to start anything else. now i train in tkd which i love, and judo with the same instructor. this week i've had a class every day with one being judo. but we randori after tkd class quite a bit so i pretty much do both every day. since martial arts instruction is my career choice i'm lucky to have plenty of time to do both with access to our training facility. soon i will be starting tai chi with my wife.

i think any cross training of stand up and ground fighting is better than none but i deffinately think you should do one or the other to start out with til you really understand how to learn.

with respect,
painstain

hongkongfooey

Black Belt
Reaction score
I currently only train in one, American Kenpo. I have plans to start another in the future. Possibly Judo or Jujitsu, or maybe a more traditional style of Karate like Shotokan or Shorin Ryu if I can find a studio that teaches it.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One, American Kenpo. My instructors have taught me a bit of BJJ and a bit of Iaido. They don't teach either of them on a regular basis, but when they do I learn as much as I can. I do some bokken drills on a regular basis...they have made my wimpy little arms a lot stronger :D

KOROHO

Green Belt
Reaction score
I had Motobuha Shito Ryu Karatedo, Goshin Budo Jujutsu and Doshinkan Aikido in my mix, plus Iaido/Kenjutsu.
I wasn't looking for anything new, but I had the good fortune to come into Koroho.

Goshin Budo Jujutsu (AKA Kuniba Ryu Goshindo) was created by Shogo Kuniba by combining Motobuha Shito Ryu, Yoshinkan Aikido and Judo.
So training in all these individual arts as he did was not much of a stretch.

I also recently met a Taichi teacher who felt had much to offer so I took up training with him. My Aikido training proved to be very helpful in advancing in Taichi. I also incorporate the Ba Me Taichi into my own workouts.

Koroho has a lot in common with with what I have been doing. If it were drastically different it would potentially cause problems.

If you are looking for additional arts to cross-train in, you really want to make sure they compliment each other well so you don't make training in both arts more difficult and impede your progress in both.

bluemtn

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm doing 2 arts, one is TKD, and the other is a little mix with a little TKD in it. They aren't so similar. As a matter of fact, the other realy only has TKD kicks (in relation of the 2), and the rest is different in some ways. I say that there's enough differences to make it difficult to get confused, but similar enough to compliment each other. I've noticed my blocks, kicks, and punches have gotten a lot better as a result of taking up the other art. I love the newer one, because it has more of what I want out of MA training. I've always liked throws, and wasn't quite getting enough in my original due to no padding, etc. Also, we're doing weapons and I've had a couple of weapons (like the staff, escrima, etc.) that I've been interested in learning! I really just wanted to become a bit more well rounded, and I'll always love my original choice.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
At this moment in time I can honestly say I have no idea how many arts I am currently training in... greater than 1 less than 4 all CMA.. I think.

And it is way to long a story to get into here.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to go along with Xue Sheng on this one. It is a very long story to get into. I have 1 primary style and several styles I have used to "supplement" my primary. I have just recently went back to training hard in EPAK.

Silly Limey

White Belt
Reaction score
Just one right now (Shotokan karate), but I am definitely taking up Modern Arnis as well as soon as I move to the next town for college.

PictonMA

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm currently training in 4 arts and have trained in various others over the years.

I teach / train in Goju-Ryu Karate 5 days a week, teach / train Ju Jutsu 2 days a week, train Kendo 2 days a week, train Judo 1 day a week.

This isn't a new thing for me tho, I've been training in the martial arts for more then 2/3 of my life - I agree that a good foundation in one art is important before you start cross training.

They all inter-relate imho, the human body is the human body and can only be used / moved / manipulated in so many ways, various arts and teachers just differ in focus & intensity.

SUPERMAN .45

White Belt
Reaction score
Right now I cross train with Muay Thai, Grappling, and FMA YAW-YAN kickboxing I train 3 times a week I train for MMA I like the combination of striking and ground fighting. I've been practicing martial arts since I was 10 years old, for almost 25 years I've practiced different styles I started with Tae Kwon DO (blue belt), Shotokan (1st dan blackbelt), Kyokushin Karate (greenbelt), Boxing, FMA YAW YAN, Muay Thai and Grappling (Jujitsu). I also teach Muay Thai and wepon retension and disarming.

Latest Discussions