Your Fighting Tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesGarr

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
And if they grab you with one hand and initiate going to hit you with the other, what kind of footwork are you going to use?

So you're saying if someone grabs your arm, moving your feet has somehow become useless? I humbly disagree.

I'm not experienced enough to argue specific techniques, which is the main reason I didn't post one. My tip was a general rule of thumb; I feel this is the best kind of tip. If you let someone else control where you are, you're in trouble.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
So you're saying if someone grabs your arm, moving your feet has somehow become useless? I humbly disagree.

I'm not experienced enough to argue specific techniques, which is the main reason I didn't post one. My tip was a general rule of thumb; I feel this is the best kind of tip. If you let someone else control where you are, you're in trouble.
No, im not. But notice how just about everyone followed up stepping to an angle with a physical movement? Thats the point. Footwork on its own not only requires training, but it requires the ability to follow up in many situations. This is a tip for someone on how to fight. Since the tip doesnt tell them what to do after they move around, that assumes they already know. And if they already know that, they can already to footwork.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wrap his grabbing arm, wrap his punching arm, and ...

octopus.jpg
Yay! :D

JamesGarr

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
No, im not. But notice how just about everyone followed up stepping to an angle with a physical movement? Thats the point. Footwork on its own not only requires training, but it requires the ability to follow up in many situations. This is a tip for someone on how to fight. Since the tip doesnt tell them what to do after they move around, that assumes they already know. And if they already know that, they can already to footwork.

By this logic, tips of any kind are useless. If you feel the thread is useless, why post?

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
By this logic, tips of any kind are useless. If you feel the thread is useless, why post?
Youve misinterpreted Me. Why would someone trained in how to fight need tips on fighting? I was under the impression this was aimed at the everyman.

Even if that was My intention, "If You dont have anything nice to say dont say anything" is a load of rubbish.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Control the fight with your footwork. Don't let your opponent control you with his.

Very valued point.

And if they grab you with one hand and initiate going to hit you with the other, what kind of footwork are you going to use?

Training will always dictate this in the heat of battle. I personally take the angles because my kata teaches it.

Agreed, once again the way we train will show up when we least expect it. Hopefully in a self defense situation.

There is a Chinese saying that says, when the hands move the feet move. The angles will take you out of the line of fire.

Everyone for the most part has a valid point which encourages dialog.

Youve misinterpreted Me. Why would someone trained in how to fight need tips on fighting? I was under the impression this was aimed at the everyman.

Even if that was My intention, "If You dont have anything nice to say dont say anything" is a load of rubbish.

Back to what Bill M said, play nice................ :)

JamesGarr

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Sorry if I misinterpreted you, but it appears you misunderstand me as well.

I do appreciate your comments. Perhaps I just don't comprehend them.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
One possible response to a wrist grab and strike with the other hand is to step forward as you raise what we would call a "Tan Sau".
If it is a cross arm grab the Tan Sau as it is raised will place the grabbers arm and body in a very awkward position and will deflect an attempted straight punch to the head.
The Tan Sau as it is used in this technique serves three purposes at once , combined with the forward movement of the stance it off balances the attacker and puts him on the defensive , it deflects any straight punch irrespective of which hand is used to grab or punch , whether it be cross arm or same side grab , and because the attackers grabbing arm is raised it opens him up to a pulverising side palm strike to the rib cage area.

If he decides to throw a round strike the striking hand can be converted to something else to cover that attack line but usually the center line strike will suffice to beat the attacker to the punch so to speak.
The key to the technique is to step forward to the attackers centerline and raise your arm straight away as soon as it is grabbed , this will disrupt your opponents ability to generate any power in his strike .

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
don't over intellectualize it, don't complicate it. Keep it simple and straight to the point. End it, RIGHT NOW.

The more complicated you make it, the faster you will lose.

Nice. My Sensei always said,"just step in and hit them HARD".

60/70% of untrained people have at least one technique, "sucker punch", which is very successful. New students always learn distance early on because of all the 2 person drills. If you remember to always maintain leg distance and don't allow for the finger in your chest thing, it is a big part of not getting hit. Now, when they move, you move, to a position of superiority. Hitting while you're moving.......

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Training will always dictate this in the heat of battle. I personally take the angles because my kata teaches it.
There is a Chinese saying that says, when the hands move the feet move. The angles will take you out of the line of fire.

I know!
Ive said I know.
Ive been trying to explain how that wouldnt help much as a one, singular, solitary tip for someone getting into a fight.
Imagine walking up to an everyman, and just saying "Use footwork". It would change literally nothing about what Hed go ahead and do.
Im disputing its use as a single solitary tip. Not the validity of using footwork. If I sound frustrated its because Im repeating Myself.

Back to what Bill M said, play nice................ :)
:)

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry if I misinterpreted you, but it appears you misunderstand me as well.

I do appreciate your comments. Perhaps I just don't comprehend them.
Ill try again then, its all fine.
Im just disputing that as a single solitary tip to an everyday person, suggesting footwork doesnt do much.
And it cant be a trained fighter anyway, or They wouldnt really *need* tips, Theyd already know what to do.
And since Zanjael didnt specify the skillset of the individual, instead of having a seperate tip for every possible possibility, I can only assume its a tip for the everyman.

Having re-read a bit, I originally queeried how footwork would help if someone grabbed You with one hand to hit with the other. What I meant was, You step off the line of attack. Ok. Now are You going to just stand there while They make the tiny adjustment needed and keep hitting You? Without the skillset or knowledge to follow up, its useless if not harmful. I dont mean that in an offensive way, surely it makes sense. This is one tip - And You dont tell a boxer how to punch.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You know I just remembered the best fighting tip ever given to me was from my Jujutsu sensei about 40 years ago and then it was reiterated by Dr John Painter at a seminar about 20 years ago

“don’t fight”

Well my jujutsu sensei actually said "Don't fight, run"

rickster

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You know I just remembered the best fighting tip ever given to me was from my Jujutsu sensei about 40 years ago and then it was reiterated by Dr John Painter at a seminar about 20 years ago

“don’t fight”

Well my jujutsu sensei actually said "Don't fight, run"

Yep......if there is no confrontation, there is no victory, nor defeat

Mz1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
IMO, sparring a lot is the best fighting tip. Spar from light to hard. Hard being, going for full knock downs and look for the knockout. Only 2-6 hard rounds per week with headgear on should be fine. Fight in competitions. More hard sparring while prepping for competitions. Cardio, work techniques then spar.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Move at an angle and attack the incoming arm. In the Takamatsu lineage there is a technique called omote gyaku tsuki that deals with this exact problem.

A tip I have for self defense is to target the elbow as a set up. Strike it or seize it; few people consider defending their elbows. Your first movement should be used to set up your desired technique.

Striking the inside as a block is good. The opponent misses and feels pain. Grabbing the elbow? just make sure the opponent isn't a Hapkidoist or a student of any other MA that practices defenses for grabbing the elbow. They will hurt and damage you.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Striking the inside as a block is good. The opponent misses and feels pain. Grabbing the elbow? just make sure the opponent isn't a Hapkidoist or a student of any other MA that practices defenses for grabbing the elbow. They will hurt and damage you.

Right. That's why you only seize the elbow once balance has been taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.