Your Fighting Tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
You have to understand the nature of the attack. If all attacks were the same, I would not bother with self-defense techniques, I'd shoot everyone who raised a hand to me. I'm not saying you can always divine the intent of the person attacking but there are lots of times you might not want to, say, shatter a knee, collapse a pelvis, or crush a windpipe. Pain techniques are great if you have a situation which calls for them. But the person being attacked has to have some ability to determine when that is and when it is not time to use them.

In no way am I advocating to permanantly injure someone when defending yourself if the circumstance does not call for it. What I am saying, is if someone is intent on harming you, there are much more effective ways to defend yourself than relying on low percentage pain only techniques. For example, taking an attacker's balance. It cuts his ability to attack at the same time gives you a greater time frame to do whatever you are going to do. There are many other options, of course.

Keep in mind, we are now discussing real self defense against someone intent on harming you. That decreases your options. Why do anything that does not directly increase your options, decrease your opponent's options, or better yet, do both? I think that must be the lens upon how we view good self defense techniques and theories. Things that might or might not work decreases your options. Things that have a high probabilty of working and if do not work, leave you in an easily recoverable position are superior in self defense because they do not decrease your options. This thought process is applicable to all circumstance of self defense.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do bring it from the hip, since my normal defensive posture has the elbows down. I'm still not going to touch my chest with my wrist. My hand is in the way...
This may be a case of you simply not wanting to, and that is acceptable, but if you are dropping the ball joint out of socket for a thrust, it is not only possible to do, it would be hard to do what you are describing. Different paths give different results, and you are simply not on the same path as I. That's cool :)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
At any rate, my way is faster. LOL
Sean

No it's not. Mine is.
And if that doesn't work, I've been working on my glare. Nothing beats the Dim Mak Death Gaze. I hear it's the Worlds Most Effective Defense Against Armed Robbers.

I suspect our techniques are not all that different, and that the difference is more about terminology than anything else.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No it's not. Mine is.
And if that doesn't work, I've been working on my glare. Nothing beats the Dim Mak Death Gaze. I hear it's the Worlds Most Effective Defense Against Armed Robbers.

I suspect our techniques are not all that different, and that the difference is more about terminology than anything else.
Probably. :)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In no way am I advocating to permanantly injure someone when defending yourself if the circumstance does not call for it. What I am saying, is if someone is intent on harming you, there are much more effective ways to defend yourself than relying on low percentage pain only techniques. For example, taking an attacker's balance. It cuts his ability to attack at the same time gives you a greater time frame to do whatever you are going to do. There are many other options, of course.

Keep in mind, we are now discussing real self defense against someone intent on harming you. That decreases your options. Why do anything that does not directly increase your options, decrease your opponent's options, or better yet, do both? I think that must be the lens upon how we view good self defense techniques and theories. Things that might or might not work decreases your options. Things that have a high probabilty of working and if do not work, leave you in an easily recoverable position are superior in self defense because they do not decrease your options. This thought process is applicable to all circumstance of self defense.

What makes you think that a pain technique does not also unbalance your opponent? :)

As we say, "A person's unbalance is the same as a weight," and it's a great thing to work with. But causing an attacker to overextend an arm by raking a set of knuckles across his arm in a downward or sideways motion also unbalances him. Turning a punch unbalances him - and gives you access to his back and side, where the nice pivot points (balance points) are. Even an Ichi Knuckle rubbed down the inside of the ribcage causes the opponent to unbalance himself; if you wish to perform a dump at that point, it's not a problem.

I absolutely agree about unbalancing your opponent. But I don't think it's exclusive of applying a pain technique. :)

OP
Z

Zenjael

Purple Belt
Reaction score
The thread exploded while I was away, so I will try to separate my responses by each person. If I have not addressed a point you brought up, assume I have agreed with it wholeheartedly, or if my following words are in conflict with your words, let me know.

To Cyriacus; I aim to within the precision of the period punctuation as a symbol on your keyboard. And if I miss, I follow the adage of repeat 1,000 times. So simply put, I aim to be as accurate as possible when I can. I am not perfect, but such is our pursuit within the art. I ain not to speak with arrogance, just honesty; when I see a strike coming, say a jab, it is autonomic response to place the jut of my elbow where the weaker joints of the finger will be. I follow the adage of use their strength against them. They break their hand on me. Have I had to use it? Nah, but I have to teach those I train with of its effectiveness. Against a boxer, it's annihilating to their jabs and crosses, which oft is all they have.

You are thinking of a different sweep, but I think others can cover that. There are a myriad of ways to sweep, I'm thinking of leg to leg contact to break one's contact with the ground. Uproot the tree, so to speak.

Many when grappling, seek to extend the encounter on the ground so that they may gain a hold of dominance. Elbow their rib, as they try, As they throw you down, drag them with you, and crush them with your shoulder.

To Kodora; The sparring we do with our training partners is in preparation, like our drills and forms, to prepare for survival should the time ever come. Sport is not as serious as it is oft rule bound by honor and decency. Fighting on the street simply isnt. You can apply one to the other, but you have to be careful.

To Bill Mattocks; There are a number of wrist twisting exercises which enable that flexibility. It's been useful for me when spiking an advancing jab.

To Wc_lun; There is no such thing as a perfect technique. Only the pursuit of it. There are flaws, and their vulnerability will be most exposed circumstantially. I have done those things you asked, both safely and viciously, at my trainings partner's bequest. It's how you learn, if you don't want to on the street. We walk away with bruises, but knowledge in our hearts. I believe the fool reacts, and we have many fools in the united states. Martial artists act. Too many mistake the patience of of a master as reaction, instead of action IN RESPONSE to intuitively read intentions before they occur.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
To Wc_lun; There is no such thing as a perfect technique. Only the pursuit of it. There are flaws, and their vulnerability will be most exposed circumstantially. I have done those things you asked, both safely and viciously, at my trainings partner's bequest. It's how you learn, if you don't want to on the street. We walk away with bruises, but knowledge in our hearts. I believe the fool reacts, and we have many fools in the united states. Martial artists act. Too many mistake the patience of of a master as reaction, instead of action IN RESPONSE to intuitively read intentions before they occur.

<sigh> I hope your learning experience is not to painful. Martial artist are not super human. Mistakes, even by a martial artist, have consequences. In a fight, those consequences result in injury.

You have not done some of those things you describe. You have not broken bones, crippled, or seriously injured anyone with those techniques you would claim to use in a real fight. The way you talk about them make this clear. I truly hope you never are forced to try those things. I would not wish violence on you, but more importantly I would not wish injury on you when you realize that self defense is not a game of tag or theorycraft. Right now you seem to approach self defense as a game where your opponent does this and you answer with that, like moves on a chess board. That'll impress the heck out of someone who doesn't know any better. Real fighting is quick, brutal, and dangerous as hell. You don't have the luxary of acting like a kung fu movie zen martial master.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, Alex, with every post, you make it more obvious that you live in a fantasy world.
I hope that some day you get help.

Egon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Some basic stand - up sparring tips..

a) Well, cover your head, always. There are some guys that fight hands down but they are exceptions and they probably will be nailed someday.

b) Save energy. If you throw kick or a punch, make sure it hits something but the air. If you move, make sure it's with purpose. Be economic.

c) Use both hands and both legs, so as left and right fighting stance. Of course one leg, one hand, and one stance will be dominate, but you should be able to give decent performance with everything you have.

d) Look opponent in the eyes all the time. It's harder for him to be unpredictable (this is maybe questionable for someone?)

e) When you kicking also. Looking in a place you will try to kick/punch will make even most clumsy opponents to move away. Which then...look b)

Some more advanced..

a) Do combos. Every single kick or punch should be just setting up your opponent for combo. In combos, more ways and directions off attack, harder for opponent to defend. Taekwondo combo /axe kick-one two direct-roundhouse-spinning back kick/ is best example. Opponent is attacked by both hands and legs, from front, up, and side.

b) When to counter attack? When your opponent finished attack, and he is getting back in his stance. That's time for kick punch. Don't wait for him to get back in ready stance and then attack because he waits you.

c) Don't move just up-down. Move sideways also. Moving forward is faster then moving backwards and that's why if you tend to move backwards your opponents kick's will get you. Best to do is one, eventually two step back

d) Feint. Feint much. Many ways to feint.

e) Know your targets. Don't aim for the head. Aim for the nose, chin, or ears. Don't aim for the body, aim for the ribs, kidney, or solar plexus.

Something for not so tall people. I am 172cm and 81 kg which means I fight in category where everybody about head or two taller then me.

- try not to be in their kicking range. And when you are make sure that you are the one who attacks.
- you have to be unpredictable, damn explosive and to know very well how to trap kicks and then counter attack.

If someone is taller look it as you chance to have advantage. Taller people are less stable and rarely explosive as smaller people.

One more general tip for sparring, in training: it should be practice, not fight. Of course there can be hard contact, but if after two rounds you won't be able to sparr for two weeks, you are doing it wrong.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Best fighting tip is avoid fights. Now self defense is a different story. So the only advice I can give is do what ever it takes to make sure you get home alive.

JamesGarr

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Control the fight with your footwork. Don't let your opponent control you with his.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Control the fight with your footwork. Don't let your opponent control you with his.
And if they grab you with one hand and initiate going to hit you with the other, what kind of footwork are you going to use?

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
And if they grab you with one hand and initiate going to hit you with the other, what kind of footwork are you going to use?

Move at an angle and attack the incoming arm. In the Takamatsu lineage there is a technique called omote gyaku tsuki that deals with this exact problem.

A tip I have for self defense is to target the elbow as a set up. Strike it or seize it; few people consider defending their elbows. Your first movement should be used to set up your desired technique.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wrap his grabbing arm, wrap his punching arm, and ...

octopus.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions