Female black belt beats up maneating shark

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4621233/female-black-belt-beats-up-maneating-shark.html

A punch in the Jaws: Female black belt beats up maneating shark
Diver survives tiger shark attack by using her martial arts moves on the 12ft predator
A FEMALE diver survived a terrifying shark attack in Hawaii by using martial arts moves on the 12ft maneater.
Tae Kwan Do black belt Mariko Haugen was swimming with her husband off the coast of Maui when she found herself face to face with a deadly tiger shark.

When the predator pounced, her martial arts training kicked in and she whacked the shark square on its snout.

Mariko, who was on holiday, said: "All of a sudden, it was like Hollywood. You see the big jaws coming at you. I can't say how terrifying that is.

"My Tae Kwan Do prepared me to learn how to punch. I punched it twice. I punched it this way, and that one contacted. But this (punch) kind of hit the side and slid into the mouth."

Realising it had met its match, the shark turned and swam away - allowing Mariko and her husband Don to swim safely to the shore.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Piffle. More accurately, who says it was a shark attack?
If it was an attack, she'd be missing the had that she put in it's mouth.

Well, obviously it didn't intend to bite her ...it was a man-eating shark!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps it was a man who was eating a shark? One should always take The Sun with a huge pinch of salt, it rarely lets truth get in the way of a good story.
A lot of people maintain the right to defend your home but it seems that's only for humans...invade a shark's home and the shark attacks it's 'big bad' shark and there's even calls to kill it. You dangle yourself in something else's home and it tries to eat you it serves you right, find a swimming pool or somewhere where you don't disturb the wildlife.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lol, I just found this article this morning and Bill beat me to posting it. Here's the story that I found.

http://abcnews.go.com/news/t/blogEntry?id=17609876

It's in all of the news feeds.

BJJ ain't got nothing on this!

All in the news feeds, indeed. I just read a couple of them that said she wasn't bitten and only had some scratches. Oh, my God, does this mean we can't rely on news broadcasts to give us the real deal? Oh, noooooooooooooo!

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Perhaps it was a man who was eating a shark? One should always take The Sun with a huge pinch of salt, it rarely lets truth get in the way of a good story.
A lot of people maintain the right to defend your home but it seems that's only for humans...invade a shark's home and the shark attacks it's 'big bad' shark and there's even calls to kill it. You dangle yourself in something else's home and it tries to eat you it serves you right, find a swimming pool or somewhere where you don't disturb the wildlife.

Being at the top of the food chain has its privileges. If we humans were to avoid invading anyone's home, we would not exist, since ants and cockroaches outnumber humans by a vast majority, live in all the places humans do, and technically, were here first. So I guess we should all go murder ourselves and let the insects have this world; after all, it's their home and we're 'disturbing the wildlife' by being on the planet at all.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being at the top of the food chain has its privileges. If we humans were to avoid invading anyone's home, we would not exist, since ants and cockroaches outnumber humans by a vast majority, live in all the places humans do, and technically, were here first. So I guess we should all go murder ourselves and let the insects have this world; after all, it's their home and we're 'disturbing the wildlife' by being on the planet at all.

Sometimes when I hear about all the horrible things we humans do to each other I think perhaps wiping ourselves out would be a good moral choice. Leaving the world to the so called lesser species might not be such a bad thing. At the very least we should respect other lives even if we can't respect our own species.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sometimes when I hear about all the horrible things we humans do to each other I think perhaps wiping ourselves out would be a good moral choice. Leaving the world to the so called lesser species might not be such a bad thing. At the very least we should respect other lives even if we can't respect our own species.

I kind of figured you'd feel that way. There is a certain type of environmentalist (or whatever term is permitted these days) that actually hates our own species and wishes we didn't exist. All I can say is, they are free to go first.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I kind of figured you'd feel that way. There is a certain type of environmentalist (or whatever term is permitted these days) that actually hates our own species and wishes we didn't exist. All I can say is, they are free to go first.

No I don't 'feel that way', I'm just sick to the stomach of violence, the deaths of good young people and man's general inhumanity towards others. In two weeks four good young peoiple from our brigade are dead one a young medic who I did know.. another funeral to go to, a young Pakistani girl was shot for wanting to go to school, a five year old girl was abducted and killed in Wales,families are killed in house fires that turn out to be arson, we've got over 300 accusations of sexual abuse against a celebrity here and it seems the BBC has turned it's back on it for over 40 years, the abused who were in mental hospitals and remand centres were punished for reporting the abuse by this 'man'. I'm not 'feeling that way' I'm just very depressed with things at the moment. My mother managed to mantain a faith in humans despite losing her family and spending years in a concentration camp but dear me it's hard not wonder when humans will ever learn.
I'm not an environmentalist I just think that we should live and let live. I don't hate our species I just despair sometimes. Besides, if we get in the oceans with sharks we aren't the top of the food chain anymore.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the sea, the shark IS the top of the food chain. We certainly are not.

I got a net that says differently. Let me know when sharks start hunting humans on land.

We're the top of all food chains. We eat everything. The only things that eat us get punished for it.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a net that says differently. Let me know when sharks start hunting humans on land.

Despite the foolishness that some people believe, they don't hunt us in the sea. They're still apex predators.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Despite the foolishness that some people believe, they don't hunt us in the sea. They're still apex predators.

How do you explain shark fin soup? I think sharks have much to fear from us, not the other way around. That said, I don't go around sticking my head in a lion's jaws. But I don't think there are any stuffed human heads gracing any lion's dens.

Latest Discussions